Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden vs Obergurgl early December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide the right venue for an early December cheeky warm up. Will be doing about 5 nights, but can't decide between the two.

We're both pretty decent skiers, however that early in the season we're not fussed about off piste etc and just want some decent snow and the scope to blast about a bit on piste.

Obergurgl's uncrowded slopes appeal, however we do like to get out after skiing and eat outside of our own hotel, have a couple of social pints etc.

Does anyone know from experience what obergurgl is like at that time of year? Have some of the (limited from my recollection of a previous trip) restaurants/bars opened up at that time of year?

Or are we better off down in solden and driving up to obergurgl a couple of times (we will have a hire car)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl and Hochgurgl lovely - Niederhutte will satisfy the beer bit - lovely slopes and fairly snow sure at that time of the year but it is quiet. It's all relative - Solden (town) not pretty but more variety. You'll ski out obergurgl in a few days. It would be my pick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hollando, we like Obergurgl with the kids but wouldnt go there just adults. You can ski the whole resort within 1.5 days and really no steep. However as @timmythedog, says Solden town is not nice. Maybe if you could stay just out of town it would be a good bet or up at Hochsolden (we haven't stayed there) it might be nicer with more km available to you? You can drive to the lifts at Hochgurgl and make the most of the better side of the area for a day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is what I said about Solden and Obergurgl around 5-7 December 2005

www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76751&highlight=

Obergurgl appeared to be quite a small resort, with a quiet nightlife. Very pretty town, family friendly. Solden itself was fairly quiet at that time of year too, with most of the skiers daytrippers in cars. (the car parks filled up during the day, and then emptied at night)

With 5 days I would probably ski both areas, as you have a car and could drive to the lifts. Most of the resorts will be empty early December, but might start filling up once the official season starts (i.e. the start date when tour packages are sold from)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive done both at xmas time, found them both good for quiet skiing , beginning of december it maybe even more so,
Oburgurgle very quiet that time of year in the evening, we had to spend most evenings in the hotel bar at the hotel jenewin,
Solden has a few more bars to visit in the evening, again it will be quiet and some may not be open even though theres the FIS evnt on there, plus you get a days skiing in oburgurgle on your lift pass, easily skied in the day, as theres a chance a few of the pistes in Oburgurgle wont be open !!! If you have young kids then do obuergurgle if not do Solden.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
... and going between the two resorts is easy. We used Obergurgl as a base but one day I hopped in the car, drove down to Solden for the first lift up and had a good time over on the glacier. Got busy as the day went on. I would rather stay in Obergurgl and then have the option to go down to Solden, if necessary. Agreed on Nederhutte... fun place. Also like the Zirbenalm (former David's Hutte) and Hohe Mut Alm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy