Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another insurance question!

Poster: A snowHead
I know there are a million posts on this but just want to clarify and have up to date advice.

Will be in Morzine for the season and looking into insurance.

Would it be fair to say that Carte Neige and EHIC would suffice for most standard emergencies?

http://www.natives.co.uk/holiday/the-lowdown-on-carte-neige-insurance/3994

https://www.morznet.com/ski-insurance

An extra private policy is of course preferable but for now want to make sure we have the basics covered and any need to knows.
TYIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hawkwind, What kind of hospital is in Morzine ? An EHIC won't be much use if it is a private clinic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, Im not sure , i presume the private clinics are for hypochondriacs with more money than sense as per most tourist hotspots.
But these two seem where to go if something serious

The nearest hospitals to Morzine & Avoriaz are Cluses (12km) and Thonon (35km).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You may well need Tenants Liability insurance for the property and iirc neither Carte Neige nor EHIC will get you repatriated to the UK in the event that's required.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@marcellus,
Yes i was advised of that liability insurance , dont think its too expensive and can either pay a small charge to letting agent or take my own policy , another thing to sort out!

Its all a bit grim repatriation , as an atheist, i couldnt care less what happens me , ill be dead anyways but i suppose for family etc i better deal with all that. Its these totally unseen and unpredicted things that insurance is helpful for i guess.
Found a bit of info here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/death-of-a-british-national-in-france
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it's anything like L2A in case of an injury pisteurs will deliver you by sledge or helicopter to the doctors and clinics (unless serious enough to require immediate hospitalisation) in resort all of which are private. If hospitalisation is necessary you are taken by ambulance (all are private in France) to hospital in Grenoble where EHIC kicks in. In case of illness all doctor's charge for a consultation in France although it isn't expensive. Prescriptions and any medicines (even paracetemol) are only available from pharmacies and are expensive and french doctors tend to prescribe a real cocktail.

I wouldn't want to risk it without insurance as well. I think I pay something like £160 for seasonnaire cover with MPI. Covers all sort of other things too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B,
Yeah as much as i distrust the insurance industry i think it makes sense to spend a couple of hundred on it.
Im keen to get the basics covered and be aware of what exactly they cover.
All this repatriation stuff scared me Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hawkwind, Your insurance will actually cover everything that carte neige covers tbh. I have both as having been involved in a couple of pisteur recoveries it is more straightforward with carte neige.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You may find this quite helpful...

https://www.morznet.com/emergency

I would say that the basics include a full insurance policy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hawkwind wrote:
@marcellus,
Yes i was advised of that liability insurance , dont think its too expensive and can either pay a small charge to letting agent or take my own policy , another thing to sort out!

Its all a bit grim repatriation , as an atheist, i couldnt care less what happens me , ill be dead anyways but i suppose for family etc i better deal with all that. Its these totally unseen and unpredicted things that insurance is helpful for i guess.
Found a bit of info here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/death-of-a-british-national-in-france

Tenants liability insurance isn't that costing (€50/150 for the season) and easy to arrange.

I wasn't thinking of death, I was thinking more of you having a serious accident that means you aren't able to see out the rest of your season and unable to get yourself home under your own means or even something completely not ski/board related.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@marcellus, Smile
Yeah i went googling after your post and found all the death stuff! Perils of internet searching Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

and iirc neither Carte Neige nor EHIC will get you repatriated to the UK in the event that's required.

I think Carte Neige does do repatriation. Even of the body in case of death.However for a complete season it may not offer much saving over say a BMC policy. Actually watch the BMC one - you may have to leave the country for a while so as not exceed their maximum trip length clause.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, I have been told that Carte Neige only does repatriation away from France if you are French living abroad.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs,

https://carreneige.com/static/images/doc/tableau-garanties-cn-en.pdf

it seems they do but im trying to find out exactly what im covered for then i can decide on private insurance etc
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE,

BMC wont cover for a full season, 90 days total in a year
latest report
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60076&start=200

Old thread from 2010 where it seems EHIC and it work well and include repatriation.
snow conditions
@hawkwind, Your link is for Carre Neige not Carte Neige, they are run by different insurance companies.

Try here for Carte Neige.

I'm just reporting what I was told by the President of my French ski club.
ski holidays
@rjs,
Thanks , its all very confusing Smile
Last year i used EHIC and Snowcare (italian) sort of a similar deal.
Ill keep searching , once i know whats actually covered i can check what benefits there are to some of the private insurance terms
snow report
@hawkwind,
I don't think any of the snow insurances cover 3rd party liability relating to damage or alleged damage you do to someone else. I currently insure through MPI and their 3rd party liability also covers the damage to temporary accommodation mentioned above.

Snowrisk http://en.snowrisk.com/produits.php is the branded local insurance for the Portes Du Soleil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy