Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time mounting my own bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am just about to get some new bindings thanks to SpyderJon and I am tempted to mount them myself (I live in NZ, so sending Jon my skis is not an option!)

I want to use Quiver Killers, as I will be dual mounting with anther set of bindings that are already on the ski using Quiver killers. How hard is it to DIY mount with quiver killers. I am quite handy with tools and have common sense (at lest I think I do!) - Any advice or tip and tricks would be most welcome before I start drilling in to my new skis.

I don't have a drill press or jigs, so will be using paper template and standard drill (and will do a few test mounts first on a block of wood)...

Should I do this- is it a good idea, I will be mounting on at least 3 sets of skis so I think this is a good time to learn how to do this rather than pay someone to do it for me!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to give it a go myself within the next few weeks. Bought bindings from Jon also (live abroad like you) and he made me a template. Also bought the drill bits from him, though strictly speaking I think you can buy the same size 'normal' bit with a collar to stop you going too deep. Glue Jon advised was waterproof/flexible PVA wood glue e.g., evostick exterior (blue bottle with red top). Here are a couple of threads:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121876

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/232898-PSA-Mount-your-own-Be Nice please!-skis
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use the right drill bits
Fit a collar - don't be tempted to go near your skis without one.
Get an assistant to eyeball your vertical.
Use the right taps to thread your hole - it's an American thread.
Practice, practice, practice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BenAS, I've mounted plenty of sets of telemark bindings, and always have this in mind "Measure twice (or even 3 and 4 times), and drill once" wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you don't have a collar then you can use a good old fashioned manual drill. My old man did that when he moved the bindings on a set of skis I got off eBay to use as rockhoppers when there's not much snow. Was probably slightly easier to mount though as we were only moving the heal a bit and could use the existing holes to line it up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
altis wrote:

Use the right taps to thread your hole - it's an American thread.

Aren't the screws self tapping?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Themasterpiece, regular binding screws are self tapping however if your skis have a metal topsheet it's recommended to tap the topsheet with a couple of turns of a 12AB tap to ensure that the screw dosn't start 'drunken'. With a regular mount you use the PVA glue I recommended to you.

However BenAS and altis are referring to the installation of Quiver Killer inserts which, after pilot drilling & drilling the ski with the QK drill bit, the holes need to be tapped with the QK tap as the inserts are not self-tapping. The inserts are then bonded in to the ski with a slow cure waterproof flexible epoxy like Araldite 2011/Precision or Hardmans Double Bubble Blue.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy