Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR (liveish):Swissrail, unfortunately...

Poster: A snowHead
...this year will a lot more expensive according to what I have read on Very Happys

The Plan: Save money by sending 1 son on school ski trip - clearly, this would allow the per person budget on the (rest of) family trip to expand and so facilitate this: -

EJ -> Zurich; Swissrail -> St Moritz (3 days skiing); Glacier Express -> Zermatt (3 days skiing); Swissrail -> Zurich; EJ -> Home

As usual I had started out (thinking I was) trying to delight and excite the whole family (ok, the budget holder mainly) but ended up with a complicated mess of things that only I want to do but wholly reliant on world-class procrastinators meeting Swiss-class rail timetables!

Anyway at this stage I am looking to win back browny points with the budget holder and am seeking the collective wisdom: anyone got any suggestions for things to do in Zurich, St Moritz or Zermatt (to splurge or save)??

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-04-18 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What’s “TR”?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc, I think it means Trip Report
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

And we are off. LTN, like Rome, will be great once finished!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-04-18 8:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Quick stop at Zurich Landesmyseum for some knitted meat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Past lake Zürich

Over / throug the Albula pass

And to St Moritz

Plenty of snow down to 1800 this morning ang powder in the wonderful bowls from piz Nair @3000m.

got lost several times trying to get the blue track home to StM Dorf - knackered, but gray day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That looks like the Reine Vic you are staying at, watch the chamber maids, they are a randy bunch if they catch you in your room!

Zurich: needle park? The old town?
St Moritz: Schweizerhof Bar maybe?

The Glacier Express should be nice, slowest express train in the world I've been told, which is kind of the point.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
That looks like the Reine Vic you are staying at, watch the chamber maids, they are a randy bunch if they catch you in your room!

Is chamber maid "service" included in the room rate? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
davidof wrote:

Is chamber maid "service" included in the room rate? Toofy Grin

it certainly used to be, plus they wore those cute French maids outfits, it might all have changed now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone got the contact details for the Reine Vic?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tel:+41818360000
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So yes we are at the queen Vic and the outfits are the same.

Sunshine and views today

Piz Bernina from Corvatsch @3300m

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Terrible coffee but good views on the cafe at forcella surlej on the run down from Corvatch

Brilliant fluffy snow on and off piste at the top and then nice ski down to stm bad

Good coffee at the cafe on the lonely black run on the way home to Bad with good views of town, Corviglia and Julier pass

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-04-18 13:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

this run back is lovely - marked black but nothing hard and away from it all - skied back to say 200m from the hotel from both areas - not expecting that

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 13-04-18 8:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Wildsmith, this trip report is useless without pictures.....of the chambermaids
snow conditions
@DJL, I think Swiss privacy laws disallow

Today more sun this time at Diavolezza.

Fantastic snow on the N facing pistes then onto the gletscher abfahrt (Pers then Morteratch) down to train stn 10 km along

Set off too early though (11am) and the S facing initial pitch on the itinerary was rock hard

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-04-18 8:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Glacial express today; lots of this:

ski holidays
Finally

latest report

Just as bergfex forecast tiny bit of sun as we went up am

But clagfest once we got to top

Very disoritenting- even managed to ski through the black/yellow tape on the glacier - I assume marking something dangerous! The snow felt lovely underfoot

Ok in trees below swarzsee but tiring day.

I reckon Sunnega would be best best tomorrow with more of the same rain/snow coming?
snow report
Same again yesterday snow above 2000m but terrible visibility, ok below that in the trees but plenty of slush on hard hard piste. Still good fun on Sunnega then below riffellalp

Today sun was out am great snow high up - quick tour Schwarzsee-Gornergrat-Sunnega. Lovely morning now train to Zurich

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 13-04-18 8:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Spare hour on the train so a summary:

St Moritz -
We loved it; it is a big place so not cutesy, but easy to get around and get to the various ski areas by bus. The views are superb once on mountain. Expensive - I weighed up sc’ing but the hotels have lift pass deals.

Hotel Reine Victoria was good - faded grandeur but still lots of it - spaciious public rooms, stucco, high ceilings and fantastic b/fast buffet. They only sell you the lift pass deal (38chf per night) for the total nights you stay but still much cheaper than normal price. It was close to 3 bus stops and the home run from both Corviglia and Corvatch. It is opposite the new swimming complex though we didn’t use it, We had takeaway most nights from the laudinella opposite which offered Thai, Japanese, Pizza, Burgers and more

Diavolezza / Morteratch Glacier run was a 40 min bus ride (1 change no waiting)and worth the effort. The run was stunning, set in and amongst massive glaciers though the hard snow made it challenging.

Glacier Express - 8 hours on a train is too much even for a hardened anorak like myself, but I enjoyed it. Highlights were the linen table service lunch which lasted for 3 hours; the descent into Andermatt alongside the skiers at Natschen and the blinding whiteness of the Oberalp pass.

Zermatt - I could go again and again as I love the place though my arms are tired from carrying skis despite numerous taxis. We were not lucky with the wether, but ther is so much variety we found fun to suit the conditions.

Hotel Jagerhof - excellent place with traditional look and feel and lots of deer skulls and antlers etc. Great dinner and breakfast, large rooms with underfloor heating (happy feet). Acceptable walk to nearest bus stop)

Overall - wow, but it was complicated. Next one will be a cheap package with Crystal I think!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 13-04-18 14:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Fin
Good night in Zurich walking around the Rathaus area; lovely meal in DiaLog nr Cabaret Voltaire - mmm Zabaglione

snow conditions
Nice reports - thanks for making the effort
ski holidays
More train pictures please, oh and chambermaids !
ski holidays
Quote:

More train pictures please, oh and chambermaids !

ok - I think I have some shaky video somewhere, in the meantime:-

Glaciers (I think - should have gone in spring! Gurschen, Rhone, Aletch, Weisshorn); Avalanches; and a Bridge

snow report
And Chambermaid - the best I think you'd agree...

snow report
Wildsmith wrote:

ok - I think I have some shaky video somewhere, in the meantime:-

Glaciers (I think - should have gone in spring! Gurschen, Rhone, Aletch, Weisshorn); Avalanches; and a Bridge

Looks fantastic, 9h is maybe a bit long in one go I agree.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy