Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where In Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
We (2 adults / 2 boys) have decided to break from our usual February HT routine which has seen alternate between the 3Vs and the Espace Killy over the last few years.

Mrs F and I skied the Arlberg and Zell / Kaprun extensively when we didn't have kids - we would be more than happy to go back with the boys to either (particularly Lech) but I just fancy something different.

3 of us are pretty competent and can come down any pisted run, our 7Y old is comfortable on most reds but has only been down 2-3 blacks (not intentionally, I can't do everything) ... mileage is key for us.

Saalbach looks appealing - any other recommendations / views?

We have booked flights to Munich so we can drive or take a train (Munich and Innsbruck were ridiculously expensive for February HT week).

Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach does sound ideal for you if milage is priority

You could also look at SkiWelt, Kitzbuehl/Kirchberg, Serfaus/Fiss, Ischgl/Silvretta and Zillertal valley/Mayrhofen regions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All good suggestions. Also look into the Montafon area Schruns/Tschagguns, but this is a bit further to drive from Munich.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hard to beat Lech/St Anton/Rendl for mileage esp. now the connecting lift between Lech and St Anton is running.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@franga, For sheer mileage and everything else you could want another vote for Saalbach. As of next winter it is also linked (albeit one way only on skis) into Zell so you can have a little nostalgia whilst you're there? You'd see lot of changes there if you've not been for 10 years or more.

https://www.schmitten.at/en/service/press/press-articles/extension+of+the+skiing+area+schmitten+–+zell+am+see-kaprun_p2314

Drive is straightforward and mainly autobahn or take the train to Maishofen which is one station before or after Zell depending upon which direction you take. Looks like there even a direct train if you time it right but you would need to get a bus or taxi up the valley.

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?ld=23&seqnr=3&ident=4v.029111176.1523376702&REQ0HafasScrollDir=2
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find it hard to look past Saalbach Hinterglemm. We prefer being based in Hinterglemm so the kids can do the night skiing and we can continue the apres at the Schwarzacherhof
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitzbuhel, extensive great skiing. Get off the train at the Hahnenkahm station, a two minute walk along the platform to the superb Hotel Edelwiess. Jobs a good en
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From your post, I’d also look no further than Saalbach. Ticks a lot of boxes!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know S-H is popular and it is a much better place now the link to Fieberbrunn is in place. The biggest downside is the number of low south facing slopes though that should not be an issue in February. However for me the ski area doesnt quite deliver, a couple of interesting runs (more now at Fieberbrunn) but a lot of strung out, very similar pistes. The area is split up by a number of steep side valleys and the 5 minute (often icy) plod through both Saalbach and Hinterglemm to get between lifts is irritating to say the least. The lift system is much improved in recent years practically all modern lifts now.

I would suggest perhaps staying in Kirchberg (not the liveliest town if that is a consideration) or Brixen. Both allow you to easily ski both Kitzbühel and also SkiWelt. Kitzbühel has a certain amount of challenging skiing, lots of pistes, a good mixture of somewhat higher areas and also lots in amongst the trees, SkiWelt has little real challenge but lots of kms of piste. Personally I think the ski areas work better than S-H but these things are very subjective. There is a train station directly in the middle of the village at Kirchberg, Brixen get off at Westendorf and book a taxi (Brixen station is not near the current village centre).

Whilst I always prefer the train to driving not sure that is the best option at Munich airport with a family in tow. You need to go into town to get a train, either lug bags, boots, etc on the s bahn (its about a 40 minute trip), an expensive taxi ride or the Lufthansa bus. Direct trains to the ski areas are few and far between, most times you will have to change at least once. Once every two hours there is a direct train to Innsbruck and beyond, they are almost always very busy, you need to book seats (much better to get on at the Hauptbahnhof where the train starts rather than the Ostbahnhof). For S-H, Kitzbühel etc you change at Wörgl. There are also hourly regional trains but you are likely to have to change twice, Kufstein (a fair walk between platforms) and Wörgl. It might be a hire car is a better option and that would give more flexibility, you can get a pass which covers a huge number of areas most of which would be an easy drive. The downside to driving is if you arrive on a Saturday the Autobahn between Munich and Kufstein is always very busy heading south.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to defend Saalbach, but I would tend to agree with what @munich_irish, says. I do have a bias towards Kitzbühel though so there may not be much in it.
Also agree that getting a family there by train is likely to be less relaxed than driving!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look into Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis. Not well known to Brits but has a vast modern ski area with all the facilities and gold-class ski schools (if your kids need it). Good variety in ski run difficulty but mostly red. Know for family friendliness and lots to keep kids entertained on and off the slopes. Also generally very high standard of mostly AUT and CH skiers on the slopes.

Easily reachable from Munich by Car and just over an hour from Innsbruck - it’s next valley south of Ischgl.

We have done three years in Serfaus and this year, our forth, was spent in conneced Fiss. We have noticed a steady increase in Brits over the years as its becoming known.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Almost forgot about the Ski Amade region. If you base yourself in say Flachau or Wagrain, you can ski and bus easily to other nearby resorts of Apendorf, Kleinarl, Flachauwinkl and Zauchensee

If you have a car, you have other areas nearby such as the Gastein resorts, Hochkonig resorts and the Schaldming area which has lots of resorts in itself!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All, many thanks for your insight and recommendations.

@munich_irish / @Ozboy - thanks very much for suggesting we look beyond S-H and for your advice on travel etc ....

I do like the idea of turning this into a mini road trip and trying out different resorts such as Kitzbuhel and the Ski Welt. And Serfaus definitely fits the bill at first glance.

In all likelihood we will be hiring a car as we all have our own gear - plus it allows the flexibility of being able to move around if we'd like to.

Thanks again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish,
Quote:

I know S-H is popular and it is a much better place now the link to Fieberbrunn is in place. The biggest downside is the number of low south facing slopes though that should not be an issue in February. However for me the ski area doesnt quite deliver, a couple of interesting runs (more now at Fieberbrunn) but a lot of strung out, very similar pistes. The area is split up by a number of steep side valleys and the 5 minute (often icy) plod through both Saalbach and Hinterglemm to get between lifts is irritating to say the least.

Although it seems to have recently slipped from 2nd to 4th in the world, in terms of annual skier visits (http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2017-vanat.pdf), S-H is certainly, as you acknowledge, "popular", and its popularity is growing as the resort continues to expand (currently 270 km of piste with a further 138 km to be added, upon the imminent completion of the link to Zell am See/Kaprun), and also as it continues to invest in its infrastructure, including its fast, state of the art lift system. It therefore certainly doesn't need anyone to defend it - least of all me.

However, I'm prompted to respond to your comments, more in order to provide some balance than to contradict you (as you say, these things are very subjective), in the knowledge that some people, who are possibly considering visiting a resort for the first time, can easily be put off by critical comments and be diverted to another resort that many people might consider inferior to the original choice. (I say this tentatively, but few people of my acquaintance would rate the Ski Welt with its shorter runs and lower altitude, or Kitzbuehel with its much smaller ski area and lower altitude, as better resorts than the Ski Circus.)

When criticising the Ski Circus, people often mention the "low, south-facing slopes". They are presumably referring mainly to the lower, south-facing side of the Glemm valley - i.e. the lower slopes of the Kohlmais, Bernkogel, Reiterkogel and Hochalm areas, which make up say 25% of the ski area (say 70 km of the 270 km pisted area), and these pistes can certainly suffer (in the sense of becoming soft and mogully) when the sun acquires some strength from say mid-March onwards. However during most of the season, these slopes provide excellent, sunny skiing, and many people ski them out of choice. During the first half of the season, the lowest, south-facing pistes don't actually get any sun - or very little - thanks to the shade provided by the Schattberg ("Shadow Mountain") and Zwoelferkogel mountains, and they invariably remain in firm condition. Even in late season mild conditions, when the pistes have frozen overnight, they invariably offer good skiing during the mornings, but this is a familar story in many resorts. (Incidentally this season, apart from a few spells of "föhnig" weather, they provided excellent skiing throughout the day, and as late as early April - in fact right up to the closing date of 8th April. Mrs tt is the world's harshest critic of poor pistes, yet she was positively beaming after our last day's skiing on 8th April, when we skied over to Leogang, right to the valley bottom, and returned to Saalbach - again down to the village - via the south-facing slopes of Kohlmais).

It should also be pointed out that the generally north-facing slopes of Schattberg, Zwoelferkogel, Leogang and Fieberbrunn provide a massive amount of good skiing throughout the season, and that includes sunny weather in late season.

You comment that the ski area is "limited to a couple of interesting runs" and has "a lot of strung-out, very similar pistes". This puzzles me greatly, as one of the supposed attributes of the Ski Circus is its variety. I would cite, by way of examples, pistes 1, 2a/2b, 6/6a, 14, 15/15a, 68, 92/93, F10, F14, and F1c. All of these are fine, long runs (up to 7km in some instances), and there are many others - all individual in character and in no way similar to each other (or is it me Puzzled ).

Even more puzzling to me is your comment about the "5 minute (often icy) plod through both Saalbach and Hinterglemm to get between lifts". I have just spent 4 months in this resort, skiing most days, as I do every winter, and the number of times I have done any "plodding" between lifts can be counted on one hand. I suppose that much may depend on where your accommodation is located, and I would counsel anyone against staying in an outlying location (although some of my friends who own apartments along the Glemmtaler Landesstrasse between Saalbach and Hinterglemm don't seem to find it a problem to catch ski buses in one direction or the other). However, anyone staying in a central location in Saalbach will be virtually "ski-in ski-out", and the necessity to walk between lifts in either village can be completely eliminated with good planning.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Everyone has their own favourite place to ski and S-H is not mine. I have visited a number of times over the past 15 years, mostly day trips but also recently staying for the weekend in Fieberbrunn. No doubt the place has improved over that time, especially with regard to to new lifts and snow making. However in my opinion the basic issues remain. One entire side of the skiing is south facing, the side that has most of the blues and reds. S-H is not the only place with this issue, Brixen is another (and is lower) but it does mean less than ideal conditions are highly possible on a large number of the pistes. To get between skiing areas in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm involves walking between lifts. Yes you can go up the valley or go (in one direction) to Vorderglemm but if , for example, if you want to go from Leogang to the more interesting skiing on the north side of the Glemmtal then a plod through Saalbach is the only sensible option. The pistes themselves are very typical of the eastern Tirol and Salzburger Land, though the longish blacks on the north side are interesting and the Fieberbrunn link has added some worthwhile long pistes and some ski routes. However these runs are not as good as similar runs in Kitzbühel (steeper, generally better snow, more ski routes).

One area I suspect S-H does do very well is in piste side huts and bars, there does seem to be a very wide variety and this can add a lot to a holiday. I also suspect many people find the layout of the villages convenient perhaps less need for ski buses than some other nearby resorts.

Perhaps I am purely looking from a skiing perspective but many folk here are looking at the total package for a one week ski trip for which there seem to be many satisfied customers.
snow conditions
@munich_irish,
Quote:

One entire side of the skiing is south facing, the side that has most of the blues and reds.

Granted, although the considerable size of the area means that you have plenty of other options, not only on the north-facing side of the main valley, but over at Leogang and Fieberbrunn, which are both easily accessed, tangential areas (as well as from next season - all being well - at Zell am See). Also I can honestly say that the occasions when "less than ideal conditions" occur on the south-facing slopes tend to be after the middle of March, and even then (as is generally the norm in all resorts that have slopes exposed to the sun - and I would include from my own experience such examples as Verbier, St Anton, Val d'Isere, Courchevel, Les Menuires, and Alpe d'Huez) the skiing can be very good in the mornings, as the pistes soften up and go through a nice, grippy stage, before becoming soft and "ploughed-up" in the afternoons. I've always taken the view that, when planning the day's itinerary, the orientation of slopes becomes much more of an issue in the late season. Having said that, the extent to which a piste is used will also make a huge difference - as anyone who has skied down Happy Valley in St Anton on a sunny afternoon in late March will testify wink I know it's been a good season, but the pistes in S-H have been virtually empty (relatively speaking) for the last couple of weeks, and those of us who have been lucky enough to have been there at this time have often been pleasantly surprised by how generally good the south-facing slopes have been late in the day - I would go so far as to say better than in peak season.

Quote:

To get between skiing areas in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm involves walking between lifts.

I reiterate that I seldom do any significant walking between lifts. If I go anti-clockwise round the Glemm valley, I can do a complete circuit without doing any walking at all - I only remove my skis to get in a gondola. The same applies if I go clockwise, although it does involve taking the ski bus from the Schoenleitenbahn to the Schattberg Xpress.

Incidentally, just focusing on your example of heading from Leogang to the "north side" - I think you actually mean the south side of the Glemmtal - the obvious (easier and quicker) route would be straight down piste 61 to Jausern and then ski bus to the Schattberg Xpress - this involves no walking at all. (I do accept, by the way, that the lack of a gondola up Schattberg from Jausern is a weakness in the system - perhaps the only remaining significant weakness, and hopefully one that will be remedied in the future. However the necessity to take the ski bus is a minor inconvenience and immensely preferable, in my view, to "plodding" through Saalbach).

Excursions to Leogang and Fieberbrunn again do not need to involve any walking between lifts. The Ski Circus Challenge, a day's itinerary, which involves 72 kilometres, 32 lifts, 12,500 meters in height and approx. 7 hours skiing time again does not necessitate any walking between lifts.

As I hinted in my previous post, the elimination of walking does depend on judicious planning, and, when you get to know the area well, that comes fairly naturally. I generally cover between 2,000 - 3,000 km (depending on how many bouts of the dreaded lurgi I get) in the Ski Circus during a typical season. I ski in all corners of the area but seldom walk between lifts (except for crossing the Dorfstrasse between the Turmwiese and the Bernkogelbahn - a distance of about 100 meters). During this last season, the only walking with skis I have done has been in the last week (2nd - 8th April), when the lift company closed the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn early (to allow its demolition to proceed, prior to being replaced for next season by a new 10-seater gondola), and on a couple of occasions I walked down to the Schattberg Xpress (with my ski boots in a rucksack). Apart from those two occasions, I have not found any necessity to walk between any of the lifts throughout the entire season. I do accept however that, if you don't plan itineraries and adopt a more spontaneous approach - deciding for example to suddenly cross the valley without using the lift system - you might end up walking for 5-10 minutes from one lift to another. That amounts to taking a short cut, because there are always alternative options that don't involve any walking.

I defer to your experience of Kitzbuehel, which I haven't visited (although various friends and associates have and have told me that they've been disappointed after S-H). From what I hear, and have read on this forum, the one resort that still intrigues me is Ischgl.
ski holidays
For the last 5 years, I have skied pretty much exclusively in both Saalbach Hinterglemm and in Westendorf (which sits conveniently between Ski Welt and Kitzbuhel, so is a convenient base from which to explore both). I have thoroughly enjoyed both areas, which both tick the box for extensive skiing. Both would be good options.

These things are subjective, but my observations would be:

Both are huge areas. Both have a good mixture of blues and reds, with a few more challenging options. Neither has anything especially difficult, but I would suggest that the Kitzbuhel area has more interesting or tricky runs than the other two areas, especially some of the Pass Thurm area. Ski Welt is less challenging, mainly blues and easy reds (although in good snow there are a few interesting itineries). I don't recognise the comment above about short runs in Ski Welt - Yes, like most resorts (including S-H), there are short linking runs, but there are also plenty of long swooping runs down to the valley floor which are a blast - for example, the Ki-West run that links Westendorf to Kitzbuhel is a classic in any terms (as are the runs down to Leogang in S-H). Frankly, from a pure skiing point of view, in my view there is not much to choose between the two.

As to walking, there are a couple of short walks that are necessary in S-H - although as Tatmanstours says, these are generally avoidable. You do have to walk between the Bernkogel and Kohlmais in either direction, but it is a very short walk and not a big deal. (I believe that TT stays at the bottom of the Kohlmais, so his day starts and finishes near here, so he can legitimately say that he does not need to walk between these two). There is a little less walking needed in the Ski-Welt/Kitz areas, but in my view it is not a reason to discount one or other.

You need to get a short bus from bottom of Ki-West to Kitz, but again very short and easy and regular, so no issue.

S-H is more lively for Apres than Ski Welt/Kitz, if that is important to you. There is nothing like the noisy Apres that exists in S-H in Ski Welt (I believe Soll is lively, but have not stayed there), but there are still some fun places for a beer and a bit of Living Next Door to Alice... We also found more smokey bars in Westendorf/Ski Welt/Kitz than in S-H, although this is a general issue in Austria that I wish they would solve.

Both areas have some South-facing issues. In Feb that will not be an issue. The link run down to Brixen to get back to Westendorf can be a pig when warm - slushy bump-fest covered in people struggling down. When it is like that, you can download in bubble. The south-facing runs into Hinteglemm and Saalbach can also get quite unpleasant in warn conditions - especially the run down to the Goasstall in Hinterglemm. I don't think either area is better or worse in this respect - in both areas you can keep north-facing if conditions are warm.

Food-wise, I think S-H has the edge. The Ski Welt and Kitz mountain huts are all very samey, with just the usual Austrian dishes (not necessarily a bad thing, in my view). There is (a bit) more variety in S-H, and a few genuinely excellent lunch stops.

Scenery-wise, I think Ski-Welt/Kitz may slightly edge it, but both are lovely.

Overall, you won't regret either choice. If you choose Ski Welt/Kitz, I personally would not stay in Brixen (it is right on the main road and not very attractive). Westendorf is a better bet. Kirchberg also sounds nice, but means you are in the Kitz area and a little harder to get into Ski Welt area, but still pretty easy. In S-H, personally I prefer to stay in Hinterglemm rather than Saalbach (have stayed in both), but there is not a lot in it.

The other area you might take a look at is the Ski Amade. We stayed in Wagrain one year, which is in the centre, and enjoyed it as well. Slightly smaller, but plenty to keep you occupied for a week.

At the risk of annoying TT, who has been a fount of really useful and helpful information on S-H to many Snowheads, myself included, can I just say that it is possible to over-sell a place. There is a risk of repeating the La Rosiere experience from David Trax (I think he called himself) that ended up in over-hype and recriminations - I would not want the S-H threads to end up this way, so would just make a plea that we don't get too defensive about one place or another.
snow report
I thought it was in Hertfordshire.
ski holidays
@rg1, thanks very much, a really balanced view. TBH I'm tempted to try all of these places - as a family we'd welcome a break from France and Switzerland so I'm hopeful that we will be skiing / boarding in Austria over the next 3-4 years.

I bought a copy of the Where To Ski In Austria guide yesterday (from the same guys that wrote Where To Ski And Snowboard) - it looks like a really good book .. time to get reading.

Thanks
latest report
@rg1, ...which is why I generally think twice about responding in these types of threads at all. However, sometimes it is hard to resist countering criticisms that may give a misleading impression and fly in the face of one's own experience, especially all this stuff about having to walk between lifts. (By the way, crossing the road between Kohlmais (you can ski right down to the road) and the Bernkogelbahn hardly counts as "walking through the village", still less a 5 min, icy plod rolling eyes ). I'll shut up now, but thank you for the words of appreciation - I'm genuinely only trying to be helpful and not trying to "sell" or hype anything (don't need to).
snow report
@tatmanstours, as far as I'm concerned you have been extremely helpful (together with everyone else on this thread) with all your insight / advice on S-H (much appreciated). I think quite a lot of this stuff is down to personal preference - Mrs F despises jumping on the free bus in Val to get to the centre from La Daille (if the kids are too tired to come down the Face) but I just think it's part and parcel of the whole experience and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
snow report
@franga, I haven't read it, but just be ready to take with a grain of salt some of the pithy things you read in some of these guides, which, in their eagerness to produce a balanced view, can sometimes mislead. This forum may be the best place to get a good, balanced impression of what you can expect from a resort, although again care should be exercised when reading comments from people who do not have up to date or in depth knowledge. I have recent experience of a group of eight people who were totally put off visiting a certain resort and chose instead to go to one that is generally acknowledged to be far, far inferior - some of the people in the group had read a totally unjustified and ridiculous, pejorative comment in one of these "guides", and it coloured their judgment. (@rg1, For your benefit, and in case anyone thinks I'm trying to sell anything, I recommend Vallandry/Les Arcs - great skiing and location - and St Martin de Belleville - best place to stay in the 3Vs. Also Serre Chevalier - very underrated).
snow conditions
@franga,
Thanks for those words of appreciation.
Quote:

Mrs F despises jumping on the free bus in Val to get to the centre from La Daille

Personally I'd pay for a taxi to get me as far as possible away from La Daille! wink
ski holidays
I'm not sure why Kitzbuhel are been so difficult over linking with St Johann. It would add 45km to their pistes at the cost of a single gondola and piste.
I think its something to do with falling out over an apple harvest a couple of centuries ago!
Kitz does seem to be falling behind in the arms race of linking resorts.
ski holidays
AUSTRIA:
Lech.
Hinterglemm.
Kitzbuehel.
Dorfgastein.

SWITZERLAND:
Klosters.
St Moritz.

ITALY:
Corvara.
Cortina.
ski holidays
Cortina CORTINA !

Disjointed ski area and some very slow lifts.

Not the place for someone who wants high mileage days without yoyo skiing
snow report
@rg1, @tatmanstours, much of this is very subjective but the walks are there (I had to look the names up). In Saalbach if you want to get from the bottom of Schattberg to Bernkogel or Kohlmais (or vice versa) or in Hinterglemm from the bottom of the Zwölferkogel / Westgipfel runs to the Reiterkogel (I think there might be a way with less walking in the opposite direction to the east of the village centre) you have to plod through the village centres carrying skis, cobbled streets partly uphill. If you are happy doing the "circuit" then you wont notice but when I have been doing these walks I certainly have not been the only person lugging skis between the lifts.

No resort is perfect and different aspects will appeal to different folk. I am sure I will be back in S-H, though the weather and conditions play a part in my choice of where to go. Kitzbühel and (especially) SkiWelt are a shorter drive for me (given clear roads Scheffau is just about an hour). SkiWelt is a bit limited with regard to more challenging skiing and Kitzbühel is a bit expensive these days. I go to S-H (Fieberbrunn) for a bit of a change, as it is a big area but not as long a drive as SkiAmade or (unfortunately) the Arlberg & Paznauntal.
snow report
@munich_irish, Glad you explained, because I’d been puzzling about how you manage to do all this walking. What it seems to boil down to is that if you go skiing to a non-purpose-built ski village situated in the centre of a large area encompassing numerous mountains, and, if you decide to switch from one side of a valley to the other, you will inevitably have to walk through the village.
In some large, non-purpose-built resorts, you will find yourself having to take ski buses to switch from one mountain to another (e.g. Zermatt, Chamonix, Badgastein). However Saalbach and Hinterglemm fortunately lie in a relatively narrow valley and are relatively small and compact, so a 5 minute walk will get you from the skiing on one side of the valley to a lift on the other side.
As previously mentioned, this is something that I try to avoid and hardly ever do. (If I did, I would probably never get Mrs tt out of the door - crossing the road to the lift is as far as she would ever want to walk).
I’v tried to imagine whether I would be likely to do more walking if I lived somewhere less ski-in ski-out, but I think I would still manage to avoid walking between lifts. Invariably I spend my days skiing with friends who live up and down the main valley road - in one case down in Viehhofen- and I can honestly say that none of us spend any time walking through either village, except on rare occasions. We tend to plan our itineraries so as to ski from one lift to another and eliminate inconvenience.
If we want to cross from one side of the valley to the other, we do it at either Hochalm or Jausern (Vorderglemm), or occasionally we might utilise the ski bus - e.g. (because I usually want to end up skiing down the Kohlmais to my front door) from Hochalm or the Zwoelferkogel to the Schoenleitenbahn at the other end of the system (a journey of only 15-20 minutes).
Come and stay with us as our guest next season, and I’ll gladly show you how to enjoy great days out in the Ski Circus without doing any walking 🙂⛷
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've been to S-H for the last four years and I could easily count the number of times that we've walked through the village between lifts on one hand. As TT says above, some basic planning negates all walking.
snow report
@PeteMan, what's the problem with walking a few meters?
latest report
I don't have a problem with it but some people seem to (see above). Actually, when you think about it, there are few resorts where you can get to one end to another with either a short walk or quick bus ride. For us, S-H remains our favourite resort due to the overall experience it offers in terms of variety, convenience, price and apres ski.
snow conditions
I think you'd really struggle to be disappointed with S-H. Fabulous resort which I will certainly return to after two great holidays there.

Ischgl is also very much worth a look.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy