Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget action camera?

Poster: A snowHead
I know this question has been done to death in a variety of threads but I'd be hugely grateful for someone, anyone to help me navigate the vast amount of info out there and help me to choose the following:

Action camera
Bullet format -i.e. not GoPro however wonderful they may be, we just couldn't live with the form factor
Budget should be under £100 if at all possible.
Full HD

It's only going to get used occasionally so I don't want top spend a fortune on it and I don't want to have to worry too much in case it gets lost/broken. Hence the Ebenezer Scrooge budget.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What does Techmoan suggest these days?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
What does Techmoan suggest these days?

Didn't know about Techmoan, but while the website has pkenty of reviews it's hard to fiind any recent reviews or conclusions about bullet cams.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got one of these:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/92109/Show.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=HDR-AS20%20Action%20Cam%20with%20Wi-Fi&gclid=CIvslfq7wcQCFayWtAod2FwAHw

Sony HDR AS20. It's £120 so a bit over your budget but well worth it.
Pros: Image stabilisation, long battery life, 'flip' feature built in (You can mount the thing upside down if more convenient), takes 12mp stills, brilliant sensor, easy controls, good in low light.
Cons: the mount system - but a tripod screw to GoPro adapter soon cures that!

I had the Sony ASR15 but was a little disappointed with the 2mp stills. The image stabilisation is a BIG advantage over the GoPro - especially if you force your friends to watch the footage!

I managed to get the wristwatch remote for £80 (shop around) and it's far better than using a smartphone but the camera will work with just a press of the big button.

Do NOT waste money on budget action cams. I tried several and the results were awful!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a chillitech 120HD action cam. Used it a few times skiing/boarding, and also used it caving. Been impressed with it, especially with how it performed in the (very) low light levels in the cave. Costs about £70 IIRC.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Contour is bullet format - over budget?

http://uk.contour.com/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@albob, The Roam2 is £110. I was hoping for a bit less, but would spend that much if necessary.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, The Roam2 is £110. I was hoping for a bit less, but would spend that much if necessary.

@Deveron53, £125 on Amazon, so as above.

Any thoughts on Contour vs Sony in general?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Didn't know about Techmoan, but while the website has pkenty of reviews it's hard to fiind any recent reviews or conclusions about bullet cams.

Easy when you look:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/action-cameras

And, for a wide selection of branded stuff try:

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would recommend viewing videos on YouTube. Techmoan gave the Sony a good review.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sportpursuit offers Garmin action cam for 87£.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got an sj4000 off eBay. It's a HD 1080p rip off of a go pro, but works brilliantly. Had it on race cars and skiing. Quality is spot on, except in light to dark to light situations when it can take a second to catch up, and the battery will only last about 2hours, but at £65 I'm certainly not complaining (comes with every mount under the sun)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got a Drift HD Innovation...much cheaper than a gopro, and good bullet shape. It's easy to use and produces reasonable videos, although in very bright direct sunlight the snow can look a bit bleached out. I bought a reconditioned version for about £80 a couple of years ago online from actioncameras. I mostly use the goggle strap mount when skiing although it does come with a variety of other options. There are newer, improved models out now too. Might be worth checking out? I've been very happy with mine, considering the low price I paid.

The main reasons I like it? It has a wireless wrist strap to start and stop filming, so once the camera is switched on and on your head, no more faffing with it! And it has a little lcd screen at the side of the camera so you can check that you've got it all set up right, and watch the videos back straight away if you want. Oh and you don't look like a goon with a camera sticking up above your helmet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@foxtrotzulu, Been looking at these myself and pretty much decided to either get the Contour ( if I buy the MOD Live unit to view the scene I am filming in the HUD style display so as to stay centred on the subject ) or to go for the Sony HDR AS100V ( the one minus the remote for now) for the high frame rate, this is my preferred camera at present.

I think the better you are as a skier/boarder the higher frame rates have more significance for analysing your technique. , over the resolution ie 480 at 120 fps would be better than 720 at 30 fps.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. Ive gone for the Contour Roam2 at £104 plus a goggle mount. I was tempted by the Sony AS20, but the lack of an easily available goggle mount deterred me, and the extra cost. Only drawback to the Contour is likely to be the inability to review footage without a laptop (which I had hoped to avoid taking with me). Not sure there is any way to plug the Roam 2 into an iPad.

@speed098, I have no intention at all of trying to analyse my technique! You can't improve upon perfection. Very Happy
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, I've been running a contour for a while now and I think they're brilliant. The rotating bezel is the competition killer for me. Super easy operation and good quality image. It's got an easy bluetooth connection to your phone via the app so you can make sure you setup your shot and change settings for the record for FPS etc. It has two configurable presets too so you can flip between then on the fly using a mechanical switch on the unit.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, The contour that Richard_Sideways has can connect directly with the MOD Live via Bluetooth so you can see what you are filming in the little screen at the bottom of the goggles. ( The unit is £128 at Snow and Rubble instead of over £300 ).

@foxtrotzulu, Maybe you can not improve on perfection, but you can do lovely slowmo images for your friends to drool over Toofy Grin
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
I got an sj4000 off eBay. It's a HD 1080p rip off of a go pro, but works brilliantly. Had it on race cars and skiing. Quality is spot on, except in light to dark to light situations when it can take a second to catch up, and the battery will only last about 2hours, but at £65 I'm certainly not complaining (comes with every mount under the sun)

Grrrr- I bought one of these on Wednesday spurred on by this, paid for first class post from JooVuu and the sodding thing hasn't turned up - I'm off in three hours. Looks like another year of skiing one handed holding the camera.
ski holidays
@Pejoli, That's why I played it safe and went the Amazon route. Their Prime delivery is pretty reliable.

@speed098, My kind of perfection is not something anyone would wish to drool over!
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Pejoli, That's why I played it safe and went the Amazon route. Their Prime delivery is pretty reliable.

@speed098, My kind of perfection is not something anyone would wish to drool over!

Wish I had too, but it looks like there are loads of fake versions of the SJ out there, so was nervous about all the 'good deals' to be had on Amazon - so went with YooVuu option. Happy to depend thousands on a ski trip, but too tight to pay the extra few quid for DHL - who's the muppet now Confused
snow conditions
And the irony of insisting on a 'genuine' Chinese rip-off of a gopro is not lost on me ....
latest report
ION camera from staples got one for 80 quid.
ski holidays
Oh good - just got the email from Royal Mail saying they've delivered it - just about to get on the flight ....
ski holidays
my son bought one of those small yellow Gro-Pro rip offs off Amazon. I was really please with the quality for the price. Battery life only about 20 mins of filming.

I took this with it.

http://youtube.com/v/N3giAJpQA2c
snow report
A lot can be found online. But a lot are claiming to be the best cheap action camera with high quality. Remember to research a certain brands review.
ski holidays
Olfi one.five £140. 1080p. Image stabilisation. Has a wrist watch remote controller option. Can use all the gopro brackets etc. Pretty good camera for the money.
ski holidays
Interestingly I see Olympus have one. When I worked for them I was having a chat with one of the directors and he said. I wish we had thought of something like a GoPro. Make a fortune from Accessories. I knew thy were flicking at their revenue with interest.

I said at the time If you vblend something like the "tough" and the broadcast quality sound recorder it will be a killer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy