Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend a second hand / cheap offpiste ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting threads. My missus did last season on new Rossi Exp xe80 and loved them. Her skiing really came on too.

I bought some second hand Volkl Kendos which I am really not sure about and I have just bought some Salo X Max X8 which I am looking forward to trying in Nov. I wanted something much more piste orientated as my off piste days are on a board.

It seems we own all the wrong skis Crying or Very sad

Good job I still have my boards. Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although its 5 years since I skied the exp 88s, I do remember some lateral pressure on the side of my calves when carving hard compared to my own 65mm skis and this plays in my mind when looking at wide skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want to go down the All Mountain route.....to get decent piste performance as well....Scott The Ski is half price at Glisshop: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/scott/the_ski_nx_11_b100_black_white-83327.html

Sizes 180 and 185 in stock.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
If you want to go down the All Mountain route.....to get decent piste performance as well....Scott The Ski is half price at Glisshop: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/scott/the_ski_nx_11_b100_black_white-83327.html

Sizes 180 and 185 in stock.

I have skied with Tangowaggon and he would break it in half.

It's a nice ski but not firm enough for a man who skis like that.

With reference to other posts... same for Experience of any sort. It's not just my hatred - they'd also be waaay to bendy for tangowaggon
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dp, is The Ski softer than the Black Majic? I've only skied The Ski indoors, but if it is I totally agree with what you've just said (I personally consider the BM a bit of a noodle, hence the recommendation of skis that could reasonably be considered stiffer).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied with @tangowaggon, and I still think the Brahma would be pretty ideal for him as an all mountain ski. Worth having a test on them, I have been known to be wrong before Shock
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
I've skied with @tangowaggon, and I still think the Brahma would be pretty ideal for him as an all mountain ski. Worth having a test on them, I have been known to be wrong before Shock

You mean every time you make a comment Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulC1984, ooh, harsh. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, haha it was hard to resist - He would only say the same of me Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, yeah but it would be true in your case Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HAHAHA I cant disagree with you there Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dp wrote:

I have skied with Tangowaggon and he would break it in half.

It's a nice ski but not firm enough for a man who skis like that.

With reference to other posts... same for Experience of any sort. It's not just my hatred - they'd also be waaay to bendy for tangowaggon

That was always a risk.

I come at this from the other end of the spectrum (64kg)....so it's a perfect playful ski for me (old git with back surgery). It's all too easy to view skis from the prism of one's own perspective.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PaulC1984, may spout a lot of poopoo but there's the occasional peanut of wisdom pops out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon, haha, when was that then??!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If long enough (which given the brand and All Mountain use, I think they are), this seems like a bargain...standard cambered (I think), which may not be what you want:

Ekosport - Kastle MX98 (184) 255 GBP (from 837)

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/kastle-mx-98-16-p-9-22791.html

Old school, hard-charging ski (with added Kudos)....that will go everywhere....but not as easy as a ski with front and back Rocker...but much better than a 170 Piste ski.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
If long enough (which given the brand and All Mountain use, I think they are), this seems like a bargain...fully cambered (I think)*, which may not be what you want:

Ekosport - Kastle MX98 (184) 255 GBP (from 837)

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/kastle-mx-98-16-p-9-22791.html

Old school, hard-charging ski (with added Kudos)....that will go everywhere....but not as easy as a ski with front and back Rocker...but much better than a 170 Piste ski.

*Some specs say traditional camber, but others say an early rise tip (which I think is right).

A good discount but radius too big and heavier than others on my shortlist, I've looked at some reviews and video reviews of the Venturi 95's and they could be my one plank does all ski, a pity that Head aren't featured at the Oktober test, though the cost of getting to the Oktober test and the event itself is probably the same as the difference between buying a set of Venturis and selling them on if I don't like them. And if I stop fannying about looking at reviews and sales and get some work done, I could have paid for them by now rolling eyes
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:

A good discount but radius too big and heavier than others on my shortlist, I've looked at some reviews and video reviews of the Venturi 95's and they could be my one plank does all ski, a pity that Head aren't featured at the Oktober test, though the cost of getting to the Oktober test and the event itself is probably the same as the difference between buying a set of Venturis and selling them on if I don't like them. And if I stop fannying about looking at reviews and sales and get some work done, I could have paid for them by now rolling eyes

Apparently you'd have snapped my first suggestion in half....so I was going to make damn sure that wouldn't happen with the second. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, New boots last season, now new(er) skis - have you lost all self control ?
With your skill you could make pair of scaffolding planks work Very Happy
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:

A good discount but radius too big and heavier than others on my shortlist.

Weight can be a good thing (unless you are skinning). Additionally, they are dual radius, haven't skied them, but they may feel like they have a shorter radius than 27m.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
@tangowaggon,

Whoa!!! steady on a bit you guys, it's nice to read compliments on the only "sport" that I am vaguely passable at but it's going a little too far, it would appear that my skills as an illusionist surpass my skills on planks, My feats of derring do on the slopes are really an exercise in clenching my buttock cheeks together and hoping it ends happily Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
@tangowaggon, New boots last season, now new(er) skis - have you lost all self control ?
Very Happy

It's called divorce Very Happy no-one to check what I am spending on and I can work evenings and weekends to pay for it all without being moaned at for not being home. Cool
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:
Lechbob wrote:
@tangowaggon,

Whoa!!! steady on a bit you guys, it's nice to read compliments on the only "sport" that I am vaguely passable at but it's going a little too far, it would appear that my skills as an illusionist surpass my skills on planks, My feats of derring do on the slopes are really an exercise in clenching my buttock cheeks together and hoping it ends happily Madeye-Smiley

...then some Kastles will nicely reinforce the illusion. wink
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:

Ekosport has the option of mounting them with matching Look Pivots. That's a ski that would draw a lot of admiring glances.
ski holidays
Oceanic wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Ekosport has the option of mounting them with matching Look Pivots. That's a ski that would draw a lot of admiring glances.

It's good to have an ally in trying to sell these iconic skis to TW. Good job! Cool
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
My feats of derring do on the slopes are really an exercise in clenching my buttock cheeks together and hoping it ends happily Madeye-Smiley

I know this feeling.......

The first day with you on your Rallys - theres me waiting for you to catch up, stood well off the side of the slope. At first I thought the glare was the sun, then an asteroid entering the earths orbit, then I realised it was a 7ft, 800lb ginge catching an edge and heading towards me at speed - My buttocks clenched at that moment I can tell you Happy Happy

Must have been similar to how anyone skiing with Gru feels on every run Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@dp, is The Ski softer than the Black Majic? I've only skied The Ski indoors, but if it is I totally agree with what you've just said (I personally consider the BM a bit of a noodle, hence the recommendation of skis that could reasonably be considered stiffer).

Yes, I have owned BMs but only tested The Ski (albeit at EOSB so a bit more enlightened than a few runs up/down the ChillFactorE) and I rate The Ski as being softer. For me (being big and heavy) I found it exceptionally dull. It was good quality, reacted to being skied, just unexciting. (Whereas my gripe with the Rossi Experience was that it was not just dull it was also just unresponsive to anything).

Personally I feel that stabbing in the dark about what single ski TW should buy is a pointless art. But anything which is not aimed at big boys is just pointless to suggest. I think the Brahma is a good shout by Grandma Sunshine but is it wide enough? They (Blizzard) do the Cochise which similar to the Brahma is an all-metal construction but it's an out-and-out off piste ski really.
snow conditions
OK@tangowaggon if you're a 'big guy' you can definitely cross the Rossi Soul and Sky 7 off the list.

Maybe you can also clarify if you're looking for an all mountain ski or an 'offpiste' ski? I thought you wanted another set to complement your piste skis, and will be driving out?

If you are looking for a second pair, stop worrying about radius and weight. Larger radius and more weight generally HELP offpiste, and you can always swap to your piste skis when you want to carve up the pistes.

I don't see the point in all these ~90mm suggestions (unless you want to replace your current skis?). You just won't notice a dramatic performance increase offpiste, as they are all essentially piste skis just a wider. If you want to find out what a freeride ski can do for you and how they perform, you need to actually try a freeride ski. That means over 100mm (maybe at your size over 110mm), tip and tail rocker, tip and tail taper, over 18m turn radius, 185cm+. Don't make the mistake of looking for something that looks like the skis you're used to - as it will end up skiing a lot like them too.

Some (cheap) options (from one shop that always has good sales, there are plenty of others out there):

- https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/scott-punisher-110-15-16::66402.html (this could seriously be absolutely ideal!)
- https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/fischer-big-stix-110-15-16::102048.html
- https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/faction-ten-5-16-17::84747.html
- https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/k2-pinnacle-105-16-17::62699_1_1526.html?setpos=1
- https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/line-supernatural-115-15-16::62357_1_1530.html?setpos=1
- https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/kaestle-bmx-98-14-15::48901_1_1527.html?setpos=1

For newer skis, check out Nordica Enforcer 100, Blizzard Rustler 10 and Bonafide, Scott Punisher 105, Dynastar Legend X 106.

Down skis pre-sale starts 1 September too...
ski holidays
@clarky999, I'm not that big, despite what Pinoccio says. (185 / 90kg) The Scott punishers would definitely be one that I would pull off the rack to try.

I found this review of the Venturis but I don't speak Italian, I like the angle that the guy hits at 2:19

http://youtube.com/v/TRAQEJ5jxmk

The reality is that, with the exception of the sopib, I won't be spending all week offpiste and the ski will need to be enjoyable on piste too and piste skiing for me is all about the carving, a tight and short radius turn as possible where my legs almost buckle under the g force, if I were to be replacing my piste skis, I wouldn't consider anything over 14m radius. Yes you can carve a 25m radius ski but you're at the bottom of the mountain in two turns and need a totally empty piste to do it safely.

I'm more into technically challenging skiing than high speed, picking my way down a near vertical slope between the trees with a ski that will change direction in the blink of an eye.

So it looks like I'm looking for a compromise ski, one that has more float offpiste without losing too much of the piste enjoyment.

Would I cope and enjoy the sopib on my 76mm / 170 iRallys? yes
Would I enjoy it more on a more offpiste biased ski? almost certainly
Would I enjoy piste skiing on a dedicated offpiste ski? probably not
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:
where my legs almost buckle under the g force

There is no metal in the construction of the Head Venturis. I've never skied them, but I find it hard to believe that a ski without metal could cope with the kind of skiing you are describing.

Edit: If it's all about the short turns then Clarky's suggestion of the Nordica Enforcer 100 has a relatively short turn radius and a metal construction. Much more expensive than the Kastles though.
ski holidays
Last time I'll go on at you about the Kastles I promise. This vid makes it look like the apparent turn radius of the MX98s is short enough for what you want...

http://youtube.com/v/YklnCC-N8MI&sns=em
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
Last time I'll go on at you about the Kastles I promise. This vid makes it look like the apparent turn radius of the MX98s is short enough for what you want...

http://youtube.com/v/YklnCC-N8MI&sns=em

She's just skidding/smearing, so that's got nothing to do with turn radius
snow report
She's just skidding/smearing, so that's got nothing to do with turn radius[/quote]

I'm glad someone else said this, it's what I was thinking.
latest report
Watch this

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwiI0qqxnfXVAhVsBcAKHcbUDIoQwqsBCDEwBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvlzIkIQa3e0&usg=AFQjCNE5d7HlgPODUQk9M5t8q5xV7DHCrg
snow report
@tangowaggon, watch this.

I've had the HP version so metal layer and stiffer

http://youtube.com/v/9khE7BDiP6E
snow conditions
PS I know in your title you have said cheep/second hand but I think you know that plan is going out of the window Happy
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
PS I know in your title you have said cheep/second hand but I think you know that plan is going out of the window Happy

This appears to be true rolling eyes but I think i have found some Venturis for £308 inc bindings at 191 which is probably the "right" size for me but I would have preferred the 181s
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

This appears to be true rolling eyes but I think i have found some Venturis for £308 inc bindings at 191 which is probably the "right" size for me but I would have preferred the 181s

Looks a good ski and a good deal. Where are they from? I see the them at £401.30 on glisshop and don't see it on ekosport.
ski holidays
I can see the Venturis working for you

But knowing how you ski... I think you need to try Preachers before buying
snow report
I don't know how you ski but I'd heed clarky999's advice re size of ski - you definitely want a ski wider than 105 to get value out of the size change.

I don't agree with him on the Rossis. The Souls etc are perfectly skiable for a big lad and quite playful - just not chargey. So as it sound like you like to turn it up to 11 they may not be a good fit. If anyone is pimping Kastles the BMX 105HP is the ski to have IMV.
ski holidays
Quote:

She's just skidding/smearing, so that's got nothing to do with turn radius

While that's certainly true, turn radius is not the only dimension that affects how a ski turns... I wouldn't get over hung up on it. E.g. my Bonafide's are 17.5m and they are very happy in a straight line, through anything.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy