Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra 2011 177cm

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've been sold some Volkl mantra 2011 177cm skis by a shop who told me they are women's skis & this length would be ok for me. I'm a female 167cm/5'5" tall advanced skier who skis a on & off piste. ..the mountain I mainly ski at doesn't have powder very often, but does get a bit of crud. I'm hoping I can get a refund if these aren't suitable. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like one should go shorter than usual on these skis, if anything & I was previously on K2 Butnin luv 167cm (which I loved for years, but were old!), then dynastar Cham 87 172cm (which I have found too soft & flimsy. Any thoughts on whether a women's ski would be better, & if size too long, would be appreciated!! Thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Seatosnow, what do you weigh? More or less skis know neither your height nor your gender.

My wife and I are comparable sizes, I'm 5'6" and 60kgs and we both had 6 seasons ~360 days on 2010 Mantras and loved them.

But we've skied quite a lot...and would suggest we are broadly competent recreational skiers...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thankyou - I'm 64kg & 167cm (5'5")
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well it sounds a bunch of bollix to say they are women's skis as they are clearly unisex and I hope you didn't pay much for 2011 skis. They are fairly well known for being a GS typeski in freeride packaging though different years have varied.

If you are a good skier, technically strong, aggressive, find no pistes a problem etc then I suspect they'll be great for you as UANN indicates ( but bear in mind he and his better half are very good skiers). If not and you are more average in ability you may find them a bit of a handful.

I'd take heart from the fact you found Cham 87s flimsy and suggest you might be laying enough power down to really enjoy the Mantras.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Seatosnow, does make me wonder what shop was selling 2011 skis? Weird.

As new?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name...it was a shop in New Zealand..they were selling them 2nd hand/on behalf of someone...but looking online, I could get the 2016 or 17 model new for not a lot more from the US, so hoping I can get a refund & get some new ones in 170s maybe!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seatosnow, 2016/17 Mantra is a totally different ski to the 2011. Worth comparing before you commit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Seatosnow, at one level, if they were a good price and you like them, the 2011s seem to be of significantly better manufacturing than recent model.

Mrs U felt she'd have preferred a 170 but stuck with the 177 current as the rocker makes it ski shorter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bones...hmm interesting - thanks for the warning - I'll look further.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name...do you mean that the recent model feels shorter than the older/2011 model? I thought I had read that the 2011s feel longer so you should go for a shorter length than normal, but I may have mixed this up with a newer model. In what way does the manufacturing not seem as good on the newer model?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Seatosnow, current models ski a little shorter due to rocker. So while she felt the 2010 177s maybe a little hard work, the 2016 177s no issues.

In recent years reports of a high returns rate that they claim to have rectified. Notably the "Made in Germany" label had disappeared, but is back...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@underanewname, thanks very much for your advice!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Seatosnow,

I have two mates who ski on Mantras from that period. Both are pretty strong, experienced and technically competent. They are 70kg and 78kg roughly and they skied the 170s. They SHOULD have been on the 177s really though.
My feeling is that given you are a chunk lighter 177s may be too much for you unless you are a very good skier (racing background etc).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, that weight they should definitely be on 177s. At least.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Jedster - the store has given me a credit so now I get to choose some others! They have recommended the women's Blizzard Black Pearl 88s (in 166cm). Does anyone have any thoughts on these skis? Reading the reviews, I'm concerned they could be a little soft like the Dynastar Cham 87s I bought last time.
ski holidays
@Seatosnow, It is my understanding that the Black Pearl is a stable, hard-charging ski, where the pilot needs to take charge.
snow report
@Seatosnow, if you think that the Cham 87's were soft then the Black Pearls will be as well.

The Burnin' Luv that you liked so much is a pretty pokey conventional cambered metal layered ski & the fact that you had 'em in 167cm (most skiers of your stats would have been on the 160cm or even shorter) leads me to think that you're understating your ability somewhat.

I'd recommend looking for another metal layered ski. The Mantra (98mm) was a good choice but were too long - shame they weren't 170's.

Check-out the Blizzard Brahma (88mm) or the Bonafide (98mm), both in 173cm as both have quite a bit tip rocker & a tad of rise at the tail so they ski short. EDIT - I mean 166cm!

The 17/18 Volkl equivalents are the Kendo (90mm) or the Mantra (100mm), both in 170cm.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-06-17 19:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@spyderjon, I submit, having skied both Mantras and Bonafides, the 173 Bonafide skis more like the Mantra 177 than the 180. On the Bonafide I would (did) go shorter with no issue.

Other than my wife being on longer skis than me, which is a first.
latest report
@under a new name, you're right. I meant to put 166cm for the Brahma/Bonafide (Embarassed) as they're a tad stiffer than the Burnin' Luvs.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 27-06-17 19:56; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@spyderjon, unlike you to get your numbers wrong! Skullie
ski holidays
Just sold some 173 Bonafide's & had them on my mind Cool
latest report
I actually think the Bonafide's ski a little long - or rather, they can be skied shorter without losing any stability/grip.

I really thought I was going to go 180 but ultimately, back to back, they didn't add anything (on hardpack, beginning of season) and the 173s were just that bit more agile.

As you know, I am no stranger to long skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, that weight they should definitely be on 177s. At least.

Yes - one of them has made that switch with the latest model
latest report
@jedster, and the current models are full rockered. I found quite noticeable-y so.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy