Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

JAL airlines ski carriage policy

Poster: A snowHead
Happy heatwave to you all.
I am hoping someone out there will be able to help solve a question regarding JAL's ski carriage policy.

Their web page says the following.

Economy = FREE checked baggage allowance is two bags max. 23kg each (ski equipment MUST be taken within this limit, otherwise excess baggage charges apply) the total linear dimensions for each piece of baggage shall not exceed 200cm).

Now here's the problem. I think this means that the total length of the ski bag can not be more than 200cm. My husband says a linear measurement is not only the length but also the width and depth.

Can any one clarify the point please.

Thanks you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Suzi snowflake, agree with husband
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @holidayloverxx.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So does this mean that the skis have to be packed in a very slim line bag. I can't see my skis meeting the measurement. Are ski bags given an exception to size, but must adhere to weight.

Have any snowheads skied Japan and flown with JAL who have already negotiated their system?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The phrase is open to interpretation, but in this case I think husband has correctly interpreted JAL's intent. See this similar advice on their website http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/baggage/limit/ (select 'checked items with restrictions). Although that does say 'may be prohibited' and suggests you contact them for details. Which seems to be the best course of action.

Have never skied Japan, and sadly probably never will. But do let us know, just in case...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis in a suitable bag to protect the contents and be within the measurements is practically impossible. Beginning to wish I'd paid the bit extra and booked with BA
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Suzi snowflake, If you booked via BA to Chitose, with the last leg via JAL, then JAL will carry whatever BA allowed.

I've flown twice on this route with a triple bag (2 pairs plus clobber), which measures Length: 197cm, Width: 37cm, Height: 20cm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict, unfortunately we are booked JAL all the way. And I've just read that the internal baggage allowance is a lot lower than international flights. And the baggage transport company has even smaller bag size limits.
Oh heck, France is looking very attractive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep flying with JAL you'll get hit for excess baggage each way about £150, we've booked with finnair who seem to have a good baggage allowance compared with a lot of the others.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well it looks like I'll rent skis there and have two checked bags 160cm linear, one weighing 20 kg the other 23 kg. Looks like I'm wearing ski boots on the plane. Lol
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I feel for you @Suzi snowflake. It seems to mean you can't take anything more than a set of child's skis (in a tiny bag). How annoying.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Themasterpiece, tell me about it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Suzi snowflake wrote:

Oh heck, France is looking very attractive.

France is definitely cheaper, by a long shot. Why bother with Japan in the first place rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc Always wanted to do it for the culture. We have family links there too. We're spending three days at Kyoto and a day at Sapporo snow festival, before skiing. When we come back life is due to change with elderly parents moving in. By the time we finish the caring stage we thought we could be too old and too unfit to fully enjoy the experience. Apart from that I'd really like to see deep snow again in winter conditions, rather than shallow spring snow all season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are all on the one ticket. The baggage allowance is based on the allowance of the longest leg that crosses regions. EG Japan to south Australia doesn't cross regions (up and down) but if flying west to east over the same distance then this would be the "qualifying" link.

If you can cancel, you may get a good BA deal do compensate for cancellation fees. BA has a sale on just now. Also, if you go via HEL, you get the A350 Happy

I recommend for flights using Matrix, so much easier than Skyscanner (who don't think Cathay is OneWorld).

https://matrix.itasoftware.com
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, thanks, whilst we've booked JAL all the way it looks like the leg out of operated by BA. so we may be alright going out. It's then persuading JAL to carry the same stuff home. I've asked the agent to check for me. The cancellation fee is £150, which is also the fee for excess baggage.
So no real advantage. I've not given up yet,
snow report
Suzi snowflake wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, thanks, whilst we've booked JAL all the way it looks like the leg out of operated by BA. so we may be alright going out. It's then persuading JAL to carry the same stuff home. I've asked the agent to check for me. The cancellation fee is £150, which is also the fee for excess baggage.
So no real advantage. I've not given up yet,

If you book BA and one of the legs is business class you get the same baggage on the way back. However, I'm not sure how muck of the flights need to be that.

What is your itinerary and carriage class?

I fly to Asia every month and I always do multi city and some things you can do will flabbergast you. EG going UK-Hong Kong-Shanghai was expensive. BUT going UK-Shanghai-HongKong it was £500 cheaper. And it was cheaper going premium economy. For premium economy it was cheaper than economy on one of the long haul legs.

A trick with BA is to check with lowest tier points (you may need to register for BA exec club (free))..... THEN check with fare with FULL tier points. This will give you the silly price for a fully flex economy (note; this is not a flex search), but usually gives a cheaper premium economy price compared to the cheap price selection.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, we are booked economy.
We fly to Tokyo, train to Kyoto, train to Osaka to fly to Chitose, train to Sapporo, train to Furano to join ski safari. Home trip, train from Otaru to Chitose, flight to Tokyo, fly to Heathrow .

The flights have been booked and paid for so there's no changing the itinerary, I got good prices though, better than I could find online, through a friend who is a corporate travel agent.

We are going to use the 7day Japan rail pass. Which cover all rail travel but the trip home.

I'm quite happy with the itinerary, it's just the baggage allowance. If I take the skis, to meat the linear requirements it'll be difficult to put clothes in the bag as well, which leaves only one hold bag to get all the rest of the required stuff. Boots helmet and avalanche bag are not exactly small, not forgetting shovel and probe. Think the bag will have to go as my carry on..... need to check the size.
latest report
How can a skier hit the 'buy now' button without checking the baggage rules first rolling eyes
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
How can a skier hit the 'buy now' button without checking the baggage rules first rolling eyes

I can - my approach "buy first, worry later" Smile
snow conditions
Ive been with JAL a couple of times now,
Its just a case of pack as super light as you can, i had all the gear I wear for skiing in my hand luggage (avi bag)
In my ski bag (neat coffin style 200cm) I had boots, skis and helmet and barely any casual clothing.
People tend to take far to much kit with them, when needed you really can scrape it down to the bare minimum and get good at hand washing and drying clothes as you go.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, yea it was a bit stupid. I've never taken skis long haul before and I must admit my eye was more on the price and fitting the schedule. You live and learn.
snow conditions
If you are flying to Japan with BA they have a maximum length for luggage, 190cm IIRC. I think this is routinely ignored, but when I was flying Tokyo Narita to LHR the local BA staff measured my ski bag with a tape measure to ensure it was within size (it was, by about 2cm).

The good thing about the JAL 2-bag policy is that if you book a through flight with BA (BA to Tokyo, JAL to Sapporo) the 2-bag policy extends to all legs of the journey, giving you two bags in BA's economy cabin when normally it is just one.
snow conditions
@Suzi snowflake, not sure what your quiver is like but with any luck it will be dumping and you will end up hiring some real fatties anyway so would have been waste of time carting your skis anyway Little Angel
snow report
@Sunshine81, yea I've thought of that. I have Black Crows . Tip 13.1, waist 10.2, tails 11.6 and radius 19. I love them and they've done me proud so far. But the max depth I've done is about 1meter for short periods. Having never seen/skied japow they may not be fat enough, what do you think?
ski holidays
Plenty fat enough

Their length relative to your height?
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, I'm 165cm. Skis are 169.4
snow report
Suzi snowflake wrote:
@Mike Pow, I'm 165cm. Skis are 169.4

You'll be fine.

I'm 188cm and ski 176cm skis (116-82-111) in the Hokkaido deepness.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow, thanks, that puts the mind to rest. We've been warned not to expect to buy clothing or gear whilst there as the stores don't cater for European sizes.
ski holidays
Suzi snowflake wrote:
@Mike Pow, thanks, that puts the mind to rest. We've been warned not to expect to buy clothing or gear whilst there as the stores don't cater for European sizes.

165 is Japanese size Smile

I am too 188 considering whether to buy my first fat(er) skis for Japan or to hire on spot, but worry abit there will not be much choice for a 188, 90 kg bloke ... and then if I do get 188 Salomon QST 106, the ski bag will be 195 minimum, but still hope ANA would simply accept it as it is.
snow conditions
@mooney058, are you already book? The ANA baggage rules seem worse than JAL. 2 bags - 23kg but a smaller linear length of 158. The length of skis are over that in just one dimension. Shocked Confused May have read their page wrong, I'm sure your tickets have all the info.
snow report
@Suzi snowflake, I think I should be OK, but would need to inform ANA in advance:
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_common/prepare/baggage/?menu=instrument
snow report
@mooney058, noticed that. My agent says JAL are not flexible and I've found a way of packing my skis so they fit. But I think it might be an idea to phone JAL and see if what they can do. My agent does corporate flights normally so she may not be aware of any dispensations.
ski holidays
@Suzi snowflake, on here it looks rather generous for ski equipment, scroll to the very bottom almost: https://www.jal.co.jp/jba/aa/en_US/baggage/baggageAllowance.html#sports

And BA and JAL page says upto 190 cm: https://www.jal.co.jp/jba/ba/en_GB/baggage/bagsport.html
latest report
Suzi snowflake wrote:

If you're heading to Hakuba or Niseko then you'll be able to find all that you desire
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, Looks not, we start in Furano and ski several resorts, then move to Otaru and again visit different areas. The two towns you mention are not on the list.
snow conditions
Furano an Otaru have shops.
ski holidays
@Suzi snowflake, the baggage links from @mooney058, relate to other One World airlines, you will see the airline name at the top of the page.

This is a link to the Ski Independence site http://www.ski-i.com/baggage-policies/japan-airlines , it agrees with what you have posted, my recommendation is to phone JAL, we were in a similar situation with ANA.

Something else that you may want to research is baggage forwarding you will notice when travelling on the trains in Japan that not many people have luggage as they all forward it. We did a number of resorts ending with a few days in Tokyo, our hotel forwarded our skis to the airport and we picked them up and headed to check in, no carting them around Tokyo Very Happy
ski holidays
@Suzi snowflake, a couple of sites for you, though your hotel, guest house will arrange it for you.

https://www.japan-rail-pass.co.uk/japan-by-rail/travel-tips/transporting-luggage-japan

https://www.jnto.org.au/questions/baggage-forwarding-and-storage/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 1-07-17 9:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@radar, thank you. I had noticed the error in the links. And thanks for the new link and your suggestions. Will get onto those straight away.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy