Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Tuning : Sharpening ski tip/tail side edges

Poster: A snowHead
I've tuned my skis up and now have nice sharp (hanging burr free) edges nice and freshly waxed bases. My question is to do with sharpening the side edge in the area of the rocker/change in side cut.

I can feel the differance as the 200 grit diamond stone starts to polish up the side edges on the "straight", but as the guide starts to move round the rocker it feels graunchy and wont smooth out, diamond stones are 200 and 600 and i'm reluctant to keep going with the 200

1. All work hardened edge sections are deburred with the alu oxide stone first
2. Diamond stones are used well lubricated
3. Guide angle is 89 - this is the correct angle for the skis so i'm just tuning not creating the angle from scratch

My thoughts:

A. Could it be the side wall at the rocker section needs trimming back?

B. Is the edge angle set slightly differant in this area (at the factory) and the diamond is having to take off more metal than its designed for, so a file should be used first to set the angle

Should I not sharpen in this area and just de tune whats there with a gummy stone down/up to where the tip/tail curves in - approx 45-50mm from tip/tail on my Rossignol EXP 84's or should it be as sharp as the rest of the ski all the way along the edge - conflicting advice everywhere on this rolling eyes

Thanks

Jason
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always used to sharpen my rockered sections just the same as the rest of the edge but I have had one hook up on a little bump once. Really it's not strictly necessary as that part of the ski is not in contact on hardpack and in deeper snow sharpness isn't an issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Scarpa

That makes sense, will ask spyderjon but i believe he is away at the moment, just want to make sure its done correctly
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I never detune, I find it hard to get the flexible rocker tip as sharp as the middle of the ski anyhow Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarpa, cheers for the reply, it's certainly easier tuning the middle, enjoyable actually Very Happy

I will update after speaking with spyderjon
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Modern skis don't need detuning. If you knew how to ski, old skool ones didn't either...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Yup, detuning was for people who couldn't tip a ski on edge and carve to prevent what were basically half hearted turns from hooking up too quickly and becoming what the ski was intended to do Very Happy

There is a thought that on skis with a large percentage of rocker this can lead to tip and tail bouncing which could suddenly hook up into a tip led decreasing radius turn which could catch you out.

I've had a good crash on my 120mm Bents while making tight slalom style turns where I was bouncing into the air mid turn to land on the opposite edge. The reason I ended up sliding on my back bottom for 50m and havng one ski brought down to me by a rather cute young boarder was nothing to do with the sharp tip catching and everything to do with the fact that I landed on one outside edge slightly before the other one and ended up crashing my skis together Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 1-07-17 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarpa, on limited thinking, on 203s etc an inadvertent edge catch could be pretty dramatic.

Balance is everything. (Other than timing) wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All sorted now, skis tuned, will update fully on my return
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What are you lot talking about? Of course, you should be detuning tip and tail... Modern skis do need detuning. You go out and ski sharp edges tip to tail you're going to have a bad time. fact.

p.s. a gummy stone will help get rid of those burrs it will soften that metal up with some heat.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You go out and ski sharp edges tip to tail you're going to have a bad time. fact.

Nope.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
princeeliot wrote:
What are you lot talking about? Of course, you should be detuning tip and tail... Modern skis do need detuning. You go out and ski sharp edges tip to tail you're going to have a bad time. fact.

This guy who makes a living out of servicing skis and teaching others how to service skis disagrees.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@princeeliot, So totally wrong. I'm sure all racers learn how to detune their tips before starting gate practice Laughing

When I engage the tips at the start of a turn I want them to bite and get that ski flexing ASAP not skid and chatter on hardpack.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@princeeliot, So totally wrong. I'm sure all racers learn how to detune their tips before starting gate practice

he's not wrong at all, and yes a lot of them do
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, generally no need to detune and I'd be amazed if any do.
snow report
@under a new name, it's very common, an inch or two of the tops and tails with a gummy, sometimes depending on conditions. stops "hooking" or grabbing, and done at all levels

personally I do it

you can experiment with it , just have a gummy in your bag and adjust as necessary
snow conditions
@moseyp, Some race skis have tip rocker so I don't see the point of detuning them.

I can't recall ever feeling that my edges were too sharp, what kind of conditions do you feel would require a detune ?
ski holidays
@rjs, kids do it on dry slope so it's not only specific to conditions - but as a general guide, on harder snow

that's not my opinion though, it's just how it is
latest report
@moseyp, ah, that's very, very specific. I don't think there are any dry slopes in France or Switzerland. I don't see it as very common here.
snow report
@under a new name, I didn't say only on dry slope, I said
Quote:

kids do it on dry slope so it's not only specific to conditions

I referred to dry slope to suggest that it's not only necessitated by snow conditions
snow conditions
@moseyp, What do you feel in a course on injected snow if you don't detune ?
ski holidays
@rjs, noone has mentioned "injected snow"!!!

hard, aggressive snow is not the same thing as injected, and I've already written about it six posts back but here it is again

Quote:

stops "hooking" or grabbing, and done at all levels

also, it's not "what you feel if you don't detune" - it's a personal choice, not every racer will choose to detune where others might
ski holidays
Anyway, I would suggest to the OP that the best person to ask is their coach if they are race training in Tignes this week. Rather than listen to us all quarrel over it!
ski holidays
It may be that adjusting the angle towards the tip is more common with racers as in maybe going from a 86 to an 87 degree edge, I've known people who do that. But just speaking from personal experience I don't know anyone racing who actually detunes as described to the average skier.

BUT... I'm not a racer, I'm just feeding back what I've seen and heard.

BTW... Getting rid of burrs is totally different from deliberately bluntening an edge which is what de-tuning is.
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
Anyway, I would suggest to the OP that the best person to ask is their coach if they are race training in Tignes this week. Rather than listen to us all quarrel over it!

No way, I've gone through 2 bags of popcorn since I started World War III Very Happy
Like most on here I listen to Spyderjon who's opinion I and many others trust, I had a good chat with Jon and he advised:

1. Sharpening the whole length of the ski to start
2. If they do get a bit hooky, increase base angle slightly 25mm either side of the contact point, slightly means a turn or two tape around the base edge angle guide to increase the angle by less than one full degree i.e. .2ish
3. Ski, if needed repeat step 2 as required
4. If required, very lightly run gummy 3 times at 45 degrees between the end of the changed base angle area and the tip of the ski
5. If tails hooky repeat above steps as for tips

Spyderjon has always been very generous with his time which is why I post these queries on the forum, this way thousands of others potentially benefit from the one phone call and those of us interested in tuning can increase our knowledge base.

Having said the above I am always open to listening to others opinions if they bring something to the table with the experience to back it up

Thanks to you all for your contributions to this thread

Jason
ski holidays
princeeliot wrote:

p.s. a gummy stone will help get rid of those burrs it will soften that metal up with some heat.

Assuming you mean a hanging burr that is differant conversation surely?

Nice website BTW, looks like you have carved out a good niche in the mountains Cool
ski holidays
Fish_Head wrote:
moseyp wrote:

No way, I've gone through 2 bags of popcorn since I started World War III Very Happy
Like most on here I listen to Spyderjon who's opinion I and many others trust, I had a good chat with Jon and he advised:

1. Sharpening the whole length of the ski to start
2. If they do get a bit hooky, increase base angle slightly 25mm either side of the contact point, slightly means a turn or two tape around the base edge angle guide to increase the angle by less than one full degree i.e. .2ish
3. Ski, if needed repeat step 2 as required
4. If required, very lightly run gummy 3 times at 45 degrees between the end of the changed base angle area and the tip of the ski
5. If tails hooky repeat above steps as for tips

Note: i filed back the sidewall slightly in the tip area and smothed with 400 grit wet/dry this allowed the diamond stones to work correctly, this initial diagnosis was correct

Spyderjon has always been very generous with his time which is why I post these queries on the forum, this way thousands of others potentially benefit from the one phone call and those of us interested in tuning can increase our knowledge base.

Having said the above I am always open to listening to others opinions if they bring something to the table with the experience to back it up

Thanks to you all for your contributions to this thread

Jason
latest report
If you're racing, I see no point in downgrading performance. Unless you're not that good. Definitely, no question, for SL.

If you're not racing, and that committed to detail, you've probably been taken in by the marketing and on rockered skis anyway. So what's the point detuning something that isn't doing anything when you'd need it detuned anyway?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On these sites interviewing top WC race prep technicians the only mention of detuning is for speed skiing or certain specific conditions.

http://www.tognar.com/blog/world-cup-tuning-tips/

http://www.modernskiracing.com/Butz.php
"Once the base bevel is set, I’ll use the progression of diamond stones and ceramic stones to polish the edge. With the bevels you’ve got, you can leave the skis super sharp, or moderate the sharpness with a gummi stone. For certain conditions, or certain athletes, you don’t need the skis as sharp. For hard ice, you need a good honed edge. When the snow is softer, particularly in speed events, you need to detune the skis and take a little of the bite off so they are easier to control."
snow conditions
I have to admit, I set all my skis to 3 degrees side and 1 base. I used to have my SL skis at 0.7 base but for my level of skiing that was not really needed. Even on the fat powder skis the increased grip comes in handy when I take them on hard pistes.
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
@rjs, kids do it on dry slope so it's not only specific to conditions - but as a general guide, on harder snow

that's not my opinion though, it's just how it is

Kids have fidget spinners, it doesn't mean it's right Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

When I was was racing kids used to have all sorts of wierd and wonderful tuning idea, which were usually picked up from mum and dad watching another parent do something or chinese whispers.

Personally the last place I'd be looking for tuning advice is the junior race circuit Toofy Grin

That's not a dig at you btw; it's just as with any sport people go through fad''s etc etc.

Personally my edges are as sharp as possible from tip to tail, but that's how I like them and ulimatly tuning a ski should be about what's right for you rather than what others are doing to suit them
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, +1

my SLs were 0 base as why would you want to remove performance?
latest report
The bottom line is, the freshly tuned skis were superb this morning up on the hard piste

Once again thanks to most of you for your input
latest report
@Fish_Head, nice Happy
snow report
Quote:

If you're racing, I see no point in downgrading performance. Unless you're not that good. Definitely, no question, for SL.

It doesn't downgrade performance, it stops skis hooking

@Scarpa, that tech is talking about the full edge of the ski - it's not related to what we're discussing which is detuning two inches of the ski. google ski racing detune tips and see what comes up

@PaulC1984, I'm not a kid though, nor do I take tuning advice from children. I'm talking about athletes and techs at all levels - or any holiday skier who finds it more comfortable

Quote:

about what's right for you rather than what others are doing to suit them

this is exactly what I've been saying - there's not point taking ski prep advice specific to your own skiing from conflicting semi anonymous posters on the internet, in particular when you're away training with very good race coaches. I wouldn't do anything but ask them for advice
ski holidays
@moseyp, The article covers the entire range of tuning techniques. I have also googled 'ski racing detune tips' and bug all comes up from actual WC ski techs, in fact very little comes up on that subject at all.

Most results that are there are from many years ago or just personal anecdotes. I'm not suggesting that there is never a need to detune but that as a standard proceedure it is pretty out of date. Changing edge angle towards the tips is the way most people go to avoid hooking up. Also factor in that a race prepped ski is likely to be sharper than what most recreational skiers are used to.

In case I am actually wrong on this score I'll sound out some of the young racers when I get back out to Austria and see what they say.
snow conditions
@moseyp, If you're on SLs you want them to respond as quickly and forcefully as they can. Detuning will reduce this and therefore performance.

"Hooking"? What's that then?

If you mean because of e.g. hanging burr, then that's different.
snow report
@Scarpa, did you read the articles you posted? Because the first one does suggest detuning around the contact points at tip and tail, and the second article doesn't mention it at all (the reference he's made to detuning edges is not what we are talking about here)

I've gone through the first few google pages and there's a huge amount about it, as I guess you saw yourself. There's also plenty of pages of the same argument on different forums, here's two from TGR and SH itself a few years back

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-126348.html

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1781646
snow report
Or read the tuning guides from Swix, Holmenkol, Tognar, Toko etc. If you still think they're all wrong then I can't keep arguing this!

4.edge finishing
Edges on the front and back of the ski / board, that do not influence gliding properties (the part of the edges, that has no contact to the trails during straight position of the ski) should be rounded.
New cut edges and extremly sharp edges at the back and front end of the ski / board reduce the turning properties and may easily result in driving mistakes. Therefore, the edges at the front and back areaare lightly defused at a length of 5 to 15 cm (edge grinding rubber). The edge grip is preserved and the ski / board keeps its turning properies.

DETUNING The edges should be rounded off with a file from the point where the edge contacts the snow, up around the ends. Polish away the factory grinding or hand-file striations with a stone. Depending upon skiing style and ski manufacturers’ recommendations, you might want to slightly detune (dull) the edges back from the contact point about 15 centimeters. Use the Swix Soft Gummy Stone (T0992) or Diamond Stone (TAA200). Swix Fibertex T266N also works for this. Rub the stone back and forth along the edge point to reduce the sharpness. This is a good stone to carry with you - if the ski is hooking at the ends of the turns more than you want, detune the edge more and/or further back from the ends.

Dulling, on the other hand, is more like performing a lobotomy. It's usually done on new skis or boards with a file and/or deburring stone to intentionally dull (or radically bevel) base edges at the very tip and tail where skis and boards lift up out of the snow. Edges here curve dramatically in toward each other, and should be addressed so they don't unexpectedly engage in bump troughs, ruts, crusty snow or other funky condition to revector your planned line of travel downhill off in some new, wild and unanticipated direction.Yikes! Detuning refers to the subtle "massaging" of an edge's sharpness or base bevel near tips and tails to intentionally adjust performance of a ski or board. On old traditional skis, detuning behind the contact points made a skis less grabby and "hooky" for easier control...but detuning a shaped ski can make the ski more "nervous" due to shortening the effective running surface, plus the skis won't initiate turns as desired due to the decreased radius and running surface. So for shaped skis find the contact point of the tip and tail (you can do this by placing the ski on a flat surface and marking the sidewall at the points that the ski contacts the flat surface) and detune from contact point forward on the tip and contact point backward on the tail.

5. Rounding/dulling of edges in front and back: • Some prefer to dull or detune the edges in the front and back sections of the skis or snowboard. If you feel that the tip cuts out to the inside at the start of a turn too quickly, then you can round the edge on both sides of the tip. Use the diamond stone TAA200 and dull the edge in the “shovel” area from the point of snow contact and forward. Do the same procedure at the tail section of the ski or board, approx. 2 inches. If you want to take advantage of the entire turning curve on the skis/ snowboard or want to optimise use of the front section, then there is no need to dull the tip and tail sections. Depending on skill level, technique and application, some prefer this alternative.
snow conditions
"Edges on the front and back of the ski / board, that do not influence gliding properties (the part of the edges, that has no contact to the trails during straight position of the ski) should be rounded. "

That's fair enough...but it's not what's typically referred to as detuning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy