Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Click "+" and silence those who you don't want to see, "simples" Happy

..anyway moving on.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Barking anyway here are some ensembles!

No sign of any extended mild spell in the Alps. But a few sunny days coming up between snowfalls in the northern Alps.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wish I knew what all squiggly lines meant. I guess that's why us mere mortals need the likes of Michael Fish and Carol Kirkwood to tell us what is gonna fall out of the skies.

Of course they aren't a patch on @nozawaonsen Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mheadbee wrote:
Quote:

zzz
hors Piste

Hang on, one minute everyone is slating poor old Whitegold for saying it’s going to warm up at xmas, and that the freeze/thaw will make the pistes icy(it will if it happens). Next minute you’re all agreeing with him!

Ps Personally I quite like his direct speak. I know he does it to wind everyone up but he’s often correct

I think it is more that he latches onto any piece of potential bad news, everyone is talking about the huge dumps of snow arriving on a daily basis and he will focus on the potential for a warm few hours in 3 weeks time and how it will create havoc and ruin everyone's season.Was it him last year posting pictures of green fields telling us how some resorts were having the worst season in history, someone else (might have been noza) picked up on the fact the pictures were hugely out of date.

He is the grim reaper of thread and can't help himself.

He’s had to concede the alps are off to a great start this year because to try and claim otherwise would ruin any credibility he thinks he has for his semi factual posts. But any hint of a mild few days or bad forecast, he’ll be right on it forecasting doom or, if the snow is falling as it is currently, he’ll be linking to surveys about glacier reduction. The alps are where most people on here go on holiday and talk about, so he aims for that to troll responses. He never answers any post he’s called out on, never talks about whether he’s a skier or boarder, resorts visited etc. After getting embarrassed he disappears for a couple of days then suddenly returns posting about great snow in the Slovenian alps or Sochi, waiting for some bad news and starts the process again. I reckon not in a resort, not a skier, and lives with his mum in a Council house in Doncaster (no offence to anyone living there)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nelbert75 wrote:
mheadbee wrote:
Quote:

zzz
hors Piste

Hang on, one minute everyone is slating poor old Whitegold for saying it’s going to warm up at xmas, and that the freeze/thaw will make the pistes icy(it will if it happens). Next minute you’re all agreeing with him!

Ps Personally I quite like his direct speak. I know he does it to wind everyone up but he’s often correct

I think it is more that he latches onto any piece of potential bad news, everyone is talking about the huge dumps of snow arriving on a daily basis and he will focus on the potential for a warm few hours in 3 weeks time and how it will create havoc and ruin everyone's season.Was it him last year posting pictures of green fields telling us how some resorts were having the worst season in history, someone else (might have been noza) picked up on the fact the pictures were hugely out of date.

He is the grim reaper of thread and can't help himself.

He’s had to concede the alps are off to a great start this year because to try and claim otherwise would ruin any credibility he thinks he has for his semi factual posts. But any hint of a mild few days or bad forecast, he’ll be right on it forecasting doom or, if the snow is falling as it is currently, he’ll be linking to surveys about glacier reduction. The alps are where most people on here go on holiday and talk about, so he aims for that to troll responses. He never answers any post he’s called out on, never talks about whether he’s a skier or boarder, resorts visited etc. After getting embarrassed he disappears for a couple of days then suddenly returns posting about great snow in the Slovenian alps or Sochi, waiting for some bad news and starts the process again. I reckon not in a resort, not a skier, and lives with his mum in a Council house in Doncaster (no offence to anyone living there)

Here he is. Quite slim for an American.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's way more offensive then anything he's posted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The thread is probably best when it‘s focussed on the weather and good times.

18z GFS continues to indicate a snowy week coming up for the eastern end of the northern Alps in particular. Sunny in the second half of the week, more so in the south and west.

18z would have a fair amount of Christmas Eve snow, but that’s a bit far out for now.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The thread is probably best when it‘s focussed on the weather and good times.

+1 Especially now, when there really IS a whole lot of good news.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No! Really?

I’m going to have to clear my drive AGAIN!!!

Laughing snowHead snowHead snowHead

Another 15cms in Chamonix town. I bet the digger drivers who cleared the square last night for the market are p’ed off wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So I could take daughter 2 skiing new year week. Where do you recommend? Where could she find some teens? Is the snow so good the avalanche risk will be too high for fun?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/ehj5ygMwehA
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SophieFP wrote:
So I could take daughter 2 skiing new year week. Where do you recommend? Where could she find some teens? Is the snow so good the avalanche risk will be too high for fun?

You would be better off making a post in the resort sub forum setting out your requirements, this thread really isn't the place for such information. You'll get far better responses and info if you do that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

You would be better off making a post in the resort sub forum setting out your requirements, this thread really isn't the place for such information. You'll get far better responses and info if you do that.

Thank you - though it's particularly about where the snow is good but not too avalanchy, or is that not for this thread either?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SophieFP wrote:
Quote:

Thank you - though it's particularly about where the snow is good but not too avalanchy, or is that not for this thread either?

Well New Year week is still too far away to accurately forecast but most of the Alps have been set up greatly for the season in regards to snow so it might be better to think on other terms such as resort facilities, size, price, transfer times, non-skiing activites etc...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Minion1980, thank you - that's what I needed to hear - it's worth considering. Had bad Xmas/New Year snow experiences previously, but it has been sounding good this year.
snow report
@SophieFP, is your daughter planning to ski off piste? If not I don’t think you need to worry too much about avalanche risk unless we get another round of blizzards and heavy storms when you are in resort or just about to arrive. It’s still too far out to tell what the weather will be like in early January at this stage.
snow conditions
@SophieFP, you won’t be lacking for snow this year! The last 3 years were terrible at Xmas/NY whereas this year looks like it will be the best for years unless something drastic happens in the next week days. Just go somewhere above 1500m in case things warm up a bit and lower elevations get rain/icy. All the big resorts will be good but probably very busy. Perhaps look for somewhere a bit off the beaten track to avoid the worst of the crowds. Stick a post in « the piste » with your preferences/budget etc and you’ll get loads of suggestions
ski holidays
Quite a sight. Most of the country with 170% above average snow cover, many places with over 200%.

ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, woop, woop.

Must say it’s been a while since I saw Chamonix like this ... snowHead snowHead
snow report
Between 20 and 50cm fell almost everywhere across the Pyrenees yesterday. Amazing early season conditions, which along with cold weather is going to make the Christmas and New Year holidays rather busy for everyone. The only negative is that the temperature trend is moving above zero, and looking at the long term (which I never do) there does not seem to be any concensus for another cold episode this side of NYE.

Great for those on holiday - but for us locals who live for the heavy stuff, more is always welcome Happy
snow report

Plenty more snow in the eastern Alps in the run up to Christmas.

Some rather mild temperatures heading for Scotland unfortunately. Northern Alps below or average for time of year.
snow report
When I went to bed last night the weather hadn't showed any signs of changing towards the forecasted snow.

Then this morning:

Suppose I should really go for my 15th powder day this season now, though they're still bombing at Nordkette.

It's been snowing so much lately that there's barely any powder stress any more - which is damn nice after the last 2-3 seasons!

A 'December to remember' for sure!
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

Suppose I should really go for my 15th powder day this season now....

A 'December to remember' for sure!

And half of December still left!!! Bluebird day here and the mountains look glorious ☀️
snow report
Forecasted mild spell doesnt seem to be as mild as former predicted, but stretches a bit further towards new years, right?
snow conditions
Bit of a thought........how are the big high resorts feeling about having to share the ski-ing public? With such epic conditions and many lower resorts open or opening surely these resorts VT / Val / Tignes may be quieter? At the end of the the day its gets dark and its all about the £€$ n'est pas??
ski holidays
@RetroBod In our case we had virtually zero intention of skiing at Xmas until this epic weather tipped the balance in our favour and enabled us to get a great deal. I suspect a lot of people will be taking similar advantage therefore minimising the negative effect on the higher resorts. You are correct though, it is all about the 💶💷💰
snow report
@KennyEverett, where are you headed? We too are off for a late deal but we were hell bent on going so would have gone high if the conditions were poor
latest report
Morzine, Saturday, beyond giddy with excitement. That is all Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Solid 50cm of fresh snow overnight at 1900m here in Tirol. A flavour:

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 17-12-17 22:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@clarky999, skiing in Maria Alm today. Plenty of fresh powder everywhere. What was particularly nice was how light and dry it was. Also almost no one else there! Heavy snow round Salzburg in the evening.

@staffsan, it was more a case of milder, in contrast to the very cold temperatures rather than especially mild. For the northern Alps it warms up briefly before Christmas, but only to average for December which isn’t warm in the Alps. Little bit milder on the south side perhaps. Scotland will have a warmer spell.

Looking beyond Christmas it does look like a period of more Atlantic weather which may bring periods of above average temperatures as we head into January.
snow conditions
@clarky999, wow it looks awesome, I'm insanely jealous.
latest report
Puking down with snow again this morning, -7 in town and forecast to continue until mid afternoon followed by bluebird for the next 3 days. My money is on this week being the best of the season....
latest report
@clarky999,
Great pics, fill yer boots up snowHead

Just seen that two of the local resorts over this end of Austria have seen 50-60 cm of fresh snow too - might have to take a couple of days off this week.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, nice one - enjoy!

@Minion1980, if it's any consolation I'm flying back to the UK on wednesday so I'll have to leave the Christmas powder for others to track out haha!

@DB, back in the 'office' now unfortunately! Do you ski much in Oberösterreich? Wurzeralm is an absolute gem and shouldn't be that far from you!
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
@DB, back in the 'office' now unfortunately! Do you ski much in Oberösterreich? Wurzeralm is an absolute gem and shouldn't be that far from you!

Thanks for the tip, according to Googlemaps it's 2 hrs 27 mins which is about my limit for a day trip but an easy weekend distance. That area is a real "Schneeloch", I'll drop you a PM if I'm over that way just in case you are around.

... and I can understand your concern but don't worry about the powder at Christmas we will take care of that wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Today looks like the last decent snowfall for a while in the NW alps at least. Haven't seen anything in the models over the last 10 days to suggest anything different. Of course the GFS Op threw in a few curve balls from time to time, but generally models have been very consistent about the pattern change from high pressure out in the atlantic (last 6 weeks) to high pressure now parking itself over france.

Apart from tracking the ensemble mean and clusters, here's another not completely useless way to look at them... spread type charts (available on metrociel). The dark blue / purple colours indicate areas where the ensembles are in agreement, and the lighter yellow / green areas indicate uncertainty. So for the 26th, (similar on both ECM and GFS), there is still uncertainty over the pressure levels in the atlantic and to a lesser extent eastern europe, whereas for france / swiss / italy the current model outlook is better supported

Not seeing anything terribly positive yet in the extended ECM clusters, deep low pressure in the atlantic, so the alps could be dry and mild, or wet and mild. Hopefully will change soon, but for now, we can't really complain either way.

ski holidays
My understanding and translation of the models is minimal, but many seem to be hinting at another dump around the new year period. Is this too far into FI to be relevant and/or believable?
snow conditions
@Chadspurs40, yep too far. 06z GFS has a trough swinging in from the west 27-29th, but not very well supported at this stage, and even if it was, it's likely to change being 10 days away
latest report
I don't think we need any more snow until about May Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
you can never have enough snow snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy