Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Toadman wrote:
Euro Resorts need to look at opening in November....

Most years they’d shut a week or so later if they did so.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowed loads in Mürren, Switzerland in the Jungfrau Region... over 30 cm in the village and over 50cm at 2332m

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
Toadman wrote:

???

I was skiing in Hintertux in September, Stubai, Kitzsteinhorn and Mölltaler were all open last month. Planai starts spinning this Friday.

Plus Sölden on 16/11 and Ischgl on 25/11.

And that’s just those I know of in Austria.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-11-17 19:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Verbier opening this weekend. 40cm of fresh reported

http://www.verbier.ch/fr/liste-news-3/news-971/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Toadman wrote:

???

I was skiing in Hintertux in September, Stubai, Kitzsteinhorn and Mölltaler were all open last month. Planai starts spinning this Friday.

Plus Sölden on 16/11 and Ischgl on 25/11.

And that’s just those I know of in Austria.

Should have said non glacial/higher resorts......those that have snow low down now probably won't have come December 1at
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Toadman wrote:

As of today, right now, there are around 25-30 resorts already open across the Western European Alps and Northern Europe.

Switzerland, Austria and Italy got puked on.

Here is a video from Stubai, Austria.

https://www.facebook.com/rene.ortner.12/videos/10213959440761393/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With the last snowfall fading away. What next? More snow! Here is how GFS sees the next week (the actual figures with fluctuate). But this gives you a broad sense.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone have a link to the GFS wigglies? The old link I had seems to have died.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs

You have to enter a location in the location field.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snuck a few turns in this morning. I'll start my usual Innsbruck/Tirol thread later when I have more time and post more details there, but to give an indication of how Tirol is skiing atm...

snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999,

Fantastic news and pic snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@matejp, cheers! Looking pretty awesome out there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, not jealous!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Snuck a few turns in this morning. I'll start my usual Innsbruck/Tirol thread later when I have more time and post more details there, but to give an indication of how Tirol is skiing atm...

snowHead

Wunderbach 😎😎😎
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm tempted to head to Verbier on Sunday from Chatel for a quick ski. Looked at the article and it talks about the the Lac des Vaux area pistes being open? I had a look on the Verbier ski map but couldn't find this area - but guess there'll be at least a handful of pistes available? (sorry to drag this OT!)
snow report
yeah, might head to verbier the weekend if the weather looks ok. Lac des vaux is the area directly under mont gele. normally there are 3 or 4 lifts open, it'll be busy though.
ski holidays
Just Lac de Vaux 1 lift and the 3 shortish LdV pistes officially open for skiing (the others are to get you up there) but usually you can ski all the way down to Ruinettes and come back up on the Funispace which opens a world of possibilities if you’re not squeamish about sharks 🦈
latest report
LdV in the left. Funispace on the right

snow conditions
This evening’s GFS continues to see significant snowfall to low levels next weekend into Monday with further snowfall around 17 November.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, thank you!
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
This evening’s GFS continues to see significant snowfall to low levels next weekend into Monday with further snowfall around 17 November.

be interesting to see if any of this low level snow makes it to Xmas week, or whether a warm spell wipes it all out like the previous couple of years....
latest report
@kitenski, the previous couple of years are no predictor for the coming year.
snow report
all 4 timed assembles looking good for Chamonix & Tignes next week for a foot of snow
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@kitenski, the previous couple of years are no predictor for the coming year.

indeed, hence why I said it will be interesting to see what happens this year Very Happy
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
be interesting to see if any of this low level snow makes it to Xmas week, or whether a warm spell wipes it all out like the previous couple of years....

It can do what it bloody likes after the 9th Dec when I return from the PSB Twisted Evil
latest report
ECM 12z Op is an outlier vs. ensembles. Let's hope it pulls back from this suggestion of high pressure ridging over europe into the UK.
Definitely seems to be a very meridonal phase going on with repeated surges of heights into greenland / uk / scandinavia...a roll of the dice between surging highs and diving lows.

snow report
Quote:
Definitely seems to be a very meridonal phase going on with repeated surges of heights into greenland....
Er...you don't say!

Can that be explained in Noddy terms please? Laughing
latest report
@mountainaddict, I've no idea really, it's just a fancy term I read somewhere ..

But my amateur understanding is that it's when the jet flow moves north and south, rather than the typical west to east direction. So as the ECM chart above shows highs are pushing into UK while cold lows are mid atlantic. We want it the other way around like has been the case since end of Oct (highs mid atlantic / greenland, lows in europe).
The opposite to these wild swings is zonal flow....where mild storms roll into the UK from the atlantic, with high pressure generally to the south.

Big ears.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Series of storms coming to the PNW. One arriving right about now as I type. Flurries already in Central Oregon. Cascade range will see up to a foot plus of snow between Wed.-Friday. And then another set up for snow Saturday late into Sunday. Forecast into the following week is also looking promising for another round of storms to deliver precip as snow at lowering elevation. Could see some of the PNW resorts in Oregon and Washington opening before the US Thanksgiving holiday. Most WA and OR ski areas have about a foot to 18" of snow at the higher elevations. Could be in the range of a meter of snow over the next 7 days at higher elevations of the Cascades.

Whistler should also see some decent accumulations, as well as interior BC, and Northern Idaho, Wyoming, and parts of Montana.
snow conditions
Same chart from a few posts above, but shows forecast snow on this morning’s GFS out to middle of next week. Thus will fall Monday through Wednesday down to below 700- 500m in the east and 1500-1000m in the west.

snow report
Just came across this video of the groomers "riding pow" in obergurgl

https://www.facebook.com/obergurgl/videos/10155323384639888/
latest report
extremerob wrote:

Aww man! That's actually quite sickening, let people ride it for a day then plow it maybe?
snow report
extremerob wrote:

What a waste Sad
ski holidays
Looks like the blue run below the Festkögel. I'd reckon that as they open the resort next Thursday the angry piste skiers would probably outnumber the disappointed powder hounds?
ski holidays
So looks likely for the northern Alps this weekend into the start of the week. And then by next weekend ECM throws this boy the mix.

Something around next weekend has been cropping up on GFS for a while now, but with ECM now picking it up it’s worth keeping an eye on. Very Happy
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, shaping up to be the best SnowVember for a good while!!
snow conditions
Shaping up nicely for the first trip of the season to Engelberg last weekend of November snowHead
snow report
The Retour Est / Genoa low dropped a substantial amount on St Veran couple of days ago and just been looking at the radar and looks like a similar scenario is taking place right now.

So take a look at the St Veran cam(s) tomorrow
ski holidays
Like it. Nice pict Clarky.

Anyone have a feel for what might open at Obergurgl and Solden over the next week or two? For example, what are the chances the Gaislachkogl side opens at Solden?

Just booked last minute frequent flyer tickets from California. Combo wifey work trip to Berlin with some skiing somewhere nearish to Munich/Zurich! Stoked.
ski holidays
Second half of November looking a little milder and high pressure dominated in this morning’s output.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy