Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Flew out of Munich this morning. Definite chill in the air. Snow is coming.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There has been a lot of snow in the last couple days in Hintertux. All plans for gate training were abandoned so my son and the others in his club have been doing a fair bit of free skiing. The Head Coach summed it up well tonight:-

Quote:
It’s one thing to ski well on bluebird days, it’s another to ski well in weather like this.
Adversity is teaching us additional skills, training in this weather ingrains confidence that you can do it (and you will) no matter the conditions....

It's looking a bit more promising for the rest of the week although it is still going to be blowy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Currently looks like a couple of cold blasts on the way for the Alps. One this weekend followed by another about a week later.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Currently looks like a couple of cold blasts on the way for the Alps. One this weekend followed by another about a week later.

As in the weekend 4-5/11?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That’s what it looks like at present. Temperatures falling again from around 03 November, but obviously that is still some way away so could easily change.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
20-40+ cos from St Christoph am Arlberg up today. Nothing in St Anton at village level.

Not bad conditions for the first ski tour of the season!

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, good work. Pre season is shaping up nicely. Will be back in Tirol in few weeks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
4 weeks and counting for me!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
........Just the 3 months to wait now until the decent skiing arrives Laughing

Lets hope winter comes before that this year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4 weeks for me too... snow on many of the Amade mountians snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, Looks great but how many rocks did you hit?!

Think i'd be a bit nervous about ski touring in October!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musehead, I hit one, my mate none! We started at ~1750m and skinned up what's normally a blue piste, so pretty safe. I've skitoured in closed resorts every Oct/Nov since 2012 though - 30cms on grass is enough, but you've got to be quick before it melts (today is already too late).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early Season Weather Lays the Foundation for Winter Snowpack Stability

http://sleddermag.com/early-season-weather-winter-snowpack/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Temperatures looking cooler and snowfall amounts greater in the eastern Alps.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OT but I see wepowder have gone subscription. More than happy to pay for it but not sure the business model is great - they're suggesting paying for access to 14 day forecasts, but 6 day forecasts are still free. Surely they should do it the other way around? I mean a 14 day forecast is pointless, its only the 3 day you'll be interested in?
snow report
I would not recommend paying for a fourteen day forecast. It is sod all use beyond about 5-6 days unless you have access to the medium range probability forecasts from ECMWF.
snow report
8611 wrote:
OT but I see wepowder have gone subscription. More than happy to pay for it but not sure the business model is great - they're suggesting paying for access to 14 day forecasts, but 6 day forecasts are still free. Surely they should do it the other way around? I mean a 14 day forecast is pointless, its only the 3 day you'll be interested in?

Heaps of weather companies do this. It's a point of difference. Most forecasts are in the 7 day range that accuracy is at it's best. So Morris wants to make people feel like he can provide a forecast, that is beyond that 7 day limit. And making people pay for it, makes it seem that a lot of effort has gone into it, so you can rely on it. It's a lot more about marketing and him trying to make a quick buck to pay for 'Google's supercomputers'. One thing that irritates me is his name 'Meteo Morris'. I have no proof of him being a Met, and lying about it just seems very deceptive.

I asked him on his site to tell me what model he uses, haven't received a response yet.

And even if it is ECMWF, why would you pay for it? The main model is free from a number of outlets now with plenty of parameters, and even the 15 day model is free to access now.
snow conditions
Morris and wePowder is an excellent service, and I quite understand him wanting to finally monetise it (though I think Salomon have been sponsoring it to some degree?) as he's certainly put a lot of time and resources into putting the site together. I agree with @mcspreader that a 14 day forecast is likely to be all but worthless, but OTOH hand €2 a month is very reasonable, and I think Morris does an excellent job of breaking down the info and applying to to regions and particularly resorts in a way that is very easy for skiers to use (even if he does tend to be optimistic about amounts of snow due).
latest report
yep his new website is great, with many more smaller resorts included and amazing detail on the maps...even the webcam replays are slick. Really appreciate his willingness to explain weather patterns as well.

Speaking of....big disappointment to see high pressure remain stubbornly in charge over most of Europe, despite the efforts of the polar vortex lobe over scandinavia at present. We've seen at least 3 attempts by the models to get northerlies and cold air into central europe but euro high pressure block is big and strong enough to keep pushing the troughs east.
ski holidays
Okay I confirmed my theory that wePowder uses WRF for mesoscale range, which is good, and GFS for long range which is bad. He has increased the resolution too. EC is obviously better though.
snow report
Okay I confirmed my theory that wePowder uses WRF for mesoscale range, which is good, and GFS for long range which is bad. He has increased the resolution too. EC is obviously better though.
snow report
@langball, ok for eastern Alps Neh Neh
ski holidays
What part of the alps is the sela ronda?
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:

The Dolomites - Sella Massif
snow conditions
forgive the probable ignorance, but this sounds like Snowforecast 2 'the return' (Wepowder)Is it different?
latest report
extremerob wrote:
scotspikey wrote:

The Dolomites - Sella Massif

Is that eastern alps or central. I get confused you see.
snow conditions
Eastern Alps
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, don't upset my french mates

The only good patterns for the south and west remain in FI - new feature on metrociel showing the ensemble spread of freeze levels.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@extremerob, @scotspikey, not so relevsnt for the Sela Ronda, the south side looks relatively dry and in any case at this point in the season thus is only really relevant for open glacier resorts or those areas where you can poach early lines if you live nearby ( a la @clarky999)
ski holidays
I think he's superb and would subscribe but surely he should be monetizing - the three day forecast for where exactly to go to get the best conditions? Build it up as the storms come in and then sell the detail. Anywho hope its a success for him as he's put a huge effort in ....
snow conditions
SLF yesterday evening on weather outlook for Swiss Alps.

”Weather outlook through Saturday, 28 October

On Friday evening, the snowfall is expected to come to an end in northern regions. The snowfall level will descend to 1600 m. On Saturday it will be predominantly sunny. The zero-degree level in western and in southern regoins will be at approximately 3000 m, in eastern regions at 2000 m. In high alpine regions and in general in the south, a strong-velocity, intermittently storm-strength northwesterly wind will be blowing, which is expected to slacken off somewhat in western regions during the course of the day.

Overall, from Friday morning until the termination of precipitation on Friday night the following amounts of fresh snow are anticipated above approximately 2500 m:

- northern flank of the Alps from the eastern Bernese Oberland to Liechtenstein, northern Grisons: 10 to 20 cm; in the Urner and Glarner Alps as much as 30 cm;

- remaining sectors of the northern flank of the Alps, central Grisons: 5 to 10 cm;

- remaining regions of Switzerland: only a few centimeters; in the furthermost southern regions, no snow whatsoever.

Outlook

On Sunday, snowfall is expected in northern regions more than anywhere else. The snowfall level will descend to 1500 m. In the other regions, skies will be partially overcast. In the furthermost south it will be predominantly sunny. On Monday in northern regions, skies will frequently still be overcast, in the other regions it will become increasingly sunny.
On Sunday, the danger of dry-snow avalanches is not expected to change significantly. On Monday, the danger will decrease, but only slowly on north-facing slopes above approximately 2500 m. On Monday, furthermore, moist-snow sluffs are possible in isolated cases on steep, south-facing slopes. This applies in particular to those regions which have fresh snow.”
snow report
20-30cms snow heading towards Hintertux tomorrow.

Snowline dropping well below 1000m (though snowfall at that altitude more like 5cm).

Violent winds.

ski holidays
I'm in Oberösterreich atm, and the wind is vicious! Fair bit of snow fell on the mountains yesterday too.

Glad I put my winter tyres on again yesterday as driving home tomorrow could get funky!
snow conditions
Winds of 150kmh in the mountains tomorrow. Strongest around Hochkönig and the Dachstein. Men’s downhill at Sölden must be a little doubtful.
ski holidays
Les 2 Alpes glacier closed this week and not open for fall skiing.

Lack of snow and too many holes in the ice.

It's a disaster for the resort.
snow conditions
Sölden Racing cancelled due to the weather (high winds, not lack of snow).

https://www.facebook.com/fisalpine/videos/10159410901455702/
latest report
@nozawaonsen, looks like it is raining too.
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, Nope. Snowline is 2000m dropping to below 1000m today. Maybe it’s just the early morning gloom you can see?
ski holidays
Feuerkogel (1600m) has recorded gusts up to 166km/h this morning.
latest report
Latest gusts at Feuerkogel measured at 179km/h.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy