Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know how Sainte Foy tends to fare during a retour d'est?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends how far it spills over...sometime not at all.

Fornet can get pummelled and when even VD & Tignes get little
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Finally some sweet Spring snow - and that lovely sound Cool

However it had only transformed below 2,100m as temps still well below what you'd normally expect for this time of year. We started skinning at 1,500 so we had a good descent on S to SE facing slopes right back to the van, though at times was tricky especially in the trees as so many terrain variables with the shade of the trees etc

Looks like down in the part of the world we have another couple of Spring like days with higher temps than of late so maybe we'll be able get corn higher than yesterday before more unsettled conditions arrive early next week.

One thing's for sure even on S facing slopes there is so much snow for this time of year.

And the "Couloir Warriors" are now doing their thing too boot packing N facing steep chutes to ski cold snow.

I go for more mellow lines Cool

http://youtube.com/v/bfpl87xWh44
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Superb aperol conditions im Silvretta. Sun on all terrace angles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@8611, nice.

Who wants more snow?

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OOOOOoooh, @nozawaonsen, when is this for? We leave for courchevel on Friday!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@breeze11, middle of next week. Wouldn’t take those figures too seriously mind you (the amounts are still likely to fluctuate).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nozawaonsen, any chance of nudging the map north a little?...off to Trysil next weekend and wondering whether there's any fresh white stuff to dream of snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf, more sunny and cold by the looks of it.

https://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Hedmark/Trysil/Trysilfjellet_alpinsenter/langtidsvarsel.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Let the powder continue... http://m.chamonix-meteo.com/en/index.php

Another 50cm and bluebird on Thursday. Yes please!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, can't see where it says blue anything on Thursday. Let's hope you are right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HammondR, Météo Suisse from earlier today - usually pretty accurate

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, now you're talking. Could be worth another drive over.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Both Thurs and Fri look good. Suspect it will be similar in Cham

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fair amount of snow in the northern Alps today and Wednesday, though the snow line will rise to 1900m in places during the day tomorrow.

Clearing from the west Thursday into Friday. More snow to lower levels Friday into Saturday.
latest report
Looks like things maybe warming up at the start of next week? Freezing level jumping up significantly?
ski holidays
Heavy snow this week.

Rain up to ~2500m next week.

Lower resorts will start to close.
latest report
@Whitegold, where do you see that? I can’t see much at this stage that would support that statement (the rain part,lower resorts always close in April).
snow conditions
Yep, looks like rain to high levels but as you say, lower resorts always close in April. Bring on summer.
latest report
zzz wrote:
Yep, looks like rain to high levels but as you say

Can’t see anything to back up the suggestion (not yours) there will be rain to 2500m next week at present.
snow report
Various forecast do seem to show FL rising somewhat. I'm heading back out to 3v tomorrow and am hopeful it won't get too soggy. Any useful thoughts around actual height of snow line there in the coming days?
ski holidays
It’s April - you have to go high. And my prediction is that it will be the best April snow conditions in years... FWT final on Sunday in Verbier looks like being absolutely sensational conditions
snow report
@BobinCH, yes true but initial reports (snow forecast... I know, sorry!) has the freezing line above 3000m at times early next week.
snow conditions
How is the powder now? Please tell me its heavy?
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, when it’s snowing/raining? I can see nothing to indicate this at present?
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, excellent, long may that continue!

Thankfully only a dribble of rain forecast on Monday morning for Avoriaz (on snowforecast), and a few cm of snow on Bergfex during the week (nicely timed for the night).

Apologies, I’ve been waiting all season for my first trip so paranoia has taken over!!!!
ski holidays
Météo France forecasting between 40 and 50 cm Friday night Saturday morning for Massifs de l'Isère.

Very windy tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
Anyone know a website where you can specify a location and then look at GEFS ensembles for that location?

I used to know one but have since forgotten it.

Heading out to the Alps for the first time this season on Wednesday next week so I want to start my anxious weather-checking!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Surface2Air, which location?
snow conditions
Surface2Air wrote:
Anyone know a website where you can specify a location and then look at GEFS ensembles for that location?

This is for Tignes:
http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=45.47&lon=6.9

Just change the lat and long to match the area you're interested in. You can get them from Google maps just by clicking on a point.
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
@BobinCH, yes true but initial reports (snow forecast... I know, sorry!) has the freezing line above 3000m at times early next week.

Start of Spring conditions. Time to get out the touring skis. Enjoy the sunshine. The next dump won’t be far away - looks like the 4th/5th?
snow report
@HammondR, think you got even more over in Cham, no? Conditions don’t get much better...
ski holidays
@BobinCH,
A lot of snow on the Midi and great conditions on the Vallee Blanche down the Gros Rognon at first, then poor visibility and deep very heavy snow lower down. I think that the best visibility was when we were on the lift!

The level of wet snow/rain was surprisingly high.
snow report
10-20cms of fairly heavy snow at Axamer Lizum this morning. Sun breaking out up top, cloudy in the middle, light snow at the car park.

Not powder, but the denseness was actually pretty good to cushion the old base underneath.

Getting warmer now, but tomorrow is still looking pretty good with more snow due over the weekend.
latest report
alr1970 wrote:
Surface2Air wrote:

This is for Tignes:
http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=45.47&lon=6.9

Just change the lat and long to match the area you're interested in. You can get them from Google maps just by clicking on a point.

Awesome, thanks.

nozawaonsen wrote:
@Surface2Air, which location?

La Plagne Smile
snow conditions
To get long / lat can use xcweather - scroll down to bottom of page, also shows the GFS run

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/tignes
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Start of Spring conditions. Time to get out the touring skis. Enjoy the sunshine. The next dump won’t be far away - looks like the 4th/5th?

Nice, Sounds good to me!!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Nice 10-15 cm top up overnight down to 1000m

Wow, looks like Interlaken / Andermatt / Engelberg got properly plastered!

More coming tonight...
ski holidays
Can I suggest 2 weather topics for 2018/19 for

1. Glass Half Full Types (optimists and realists (that are interested in the weather & ski conditions but happy just to ski))
2. Glass Half or Completely Empty Types (pessimists and doom merchants (that see every change of the weather as a harbinger of skiing doom))

Reading some of the posts you would not guess it had been a vintage season in the Alps.

I am a 1.5. Naturally a pessimist but just make the most of whatever nature gives. I would read 1 as I do not want to be miserable all the time.
snow report
Mark1863, interesting idea.
But life is full of ups and downs, people vary, some you like, some you don't, people change.
You need to take the rough with the smooth.
Tolerate. Accept. Relax.

Meantime it is snowing hard here in La Plagne snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy