Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Colours are what's called geopotential heights. Basically cold air is heavier than warm so the height at which 500hPa, about half sea level pressure is reached is lower when air is cold. Low heights also lead to instability which causes precipitation. Wiggles in the isobars represent troughs and fronts - ie lots of precipitation. The above chart needs to be viewed along with T850 chart which is the temperature at around 4000ft to tell if it's snowy or just wet. Also look where the air is coming from, if it's continent rather than Atlantic then again likely to be colder.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@scottishandy, so (if I understand correctly), the colour scale is roughly proportional to temperature (purple / blue being coldest).

Is there an approximate colour which usually equates to snow at sea level?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a bit more complicated. You really need to look at the T850 chart as well to give an idea of temperatures as you can have low heights and warm winds if the source is a long south westerly for example. Think of the low heights as sucking energy out of the ocean and if temps are low enough it will snow. Generally need T850 to be - 6 or less for snow at sea level but then lots of other factors to work in as well. Netweather.TV has tons of useful guides on this kind of thing as well as all the charts. You can waste many hours of your life trying to learn it all. It's good fun though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Temperatures in parts of the Alps 16C below the average for the time of the year.

Brunnenkogel (admittedly at 3400m in the Ötztal Alps) hit -32C overnight.

Lower down Salzburg airport dropped below -12C.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"06 GFS predicting a snowy weekend for the UK. "

assume the BBC are not using that same run, their forecast last night had temps back to 10/11 degrees for south east at the weekend

?????
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading out to Les Arcs for the week of the 11th March. Looking for signs that the milder weather of next week may come to an end before we arrive. Looking at the different models am I right that ECM takes things a little cooler towards the end of its run?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pmercer, a little, but to be honest it’s too soon to really tell.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
all the long range forecasts seem to be suggesting a snowy week in the 3v starting at the weekend. Do the experts agree? Arriving 11th March. Long range forecasts suggest an interesting transfer day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why is there such disparity between current GFS and other forecasts for some resorts?
e.g. Zermatt
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/6day/mid 1m+
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Weather-forecast nothing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hd, can’t answer your question but I can report it has been a glorious day in Zermatt. Clear blue skies, no wind (at least on the Rothorn side where we were skiing) but cold. It was - 15 at the Sunnega base station at 10.00 am. Hoping the Zermatt forecast is right for tomorrow - more sunshine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Welshcakes, how much has the recent (limited) snowfall improved the conditions? Is off-piste now soft or still hardpack icy sh*t?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hd, I’ll post in the Zermatt thread but weather conditions have been pretty good and the pistes are in good condition. Monday would have been hard for a weather forecaster. There was moderate snow below about 2500 metres and sunshine above. You could say the forecasts were right or wrong depending on where you were skiing and which forecast you had looked at.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nozawaonsen I know is a long shot , but is this warm weather forecast due to continue the week after the next?
In particular looking Swiss alps..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toro wrote:
@nozawaonsen I know is a long shot , but is this warm weather forecast due to continue the week after the next?
In particular looking Swiss alps..

Yes, winter is over, spring is here...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hd wrote:
Why is there such disparity between current GFS and other forecasts for some resorts?
e.g. Zermatt
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/6day/mid 1m+
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Weather-forecast nothing

These haven't changed. GFS is massively sticking its neck out predicting heavy snow starting tonight. Zermatt website and bergfex/wepowder/yr are forecasting a dribble at best. What is WRF saying? I am getting close to decision making time for venue for the weekend - needs to be a Swiss resort.
ski holidays

WRF over next few days.

As for temperatures, they are going to rise from the extreme cold at present, but only to be a little above what you expect for early March in the Alps. GFS 00z has them cooling again by 08 March.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, great thanks. Looks like a decent accumulation then for Valais, particularly towards the Swiss/Italian border. GFS/WRF vs ECMWF...let battle commence!
snow conditions
looks like 3V and Serre chevalier are both going to do well in next fews -arrive in 3v 11th March and Serre Chevalier 1st April Very Happy
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
WRF over next few days.

As for temperatures, they are going to rise from the extreme cold at present, but only to be a little above what you expect for early March in the Alps. GFS 00z has them cooling again by 08 March.

Apologies but I must be extremely bad at geography. Where is that report centered over?

what would you predict for Tirol region, solden/stubaital valley/mayrhofen?
ski holidays
@craftybob, map is centred over the Alps. It's difficult to tell because the country borders look very similar to the region borders, and there isn't any topography shading.

The banana shape of Lake Geneva is fairly easy to pick out (near the left, about half way up), as is the sea on either side of Italy (which pokes down off the bottom of the map about halfway across). Austria is roughly in the middle, I think.

So the snowfall is focussed on the west and south-west Italian Alps, and eastern side of the southern French Alps (I think). Not so much (a few inches) for your part of Austria, and most of it comes right at the end of the animation (so it's less certain).
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@craftybob, map is centred over the Alps. It's difficult to tell because the country borders look very similar to the region borders, and there isn't any topography shading.

The banana shape of Lake Geneva is fairly easy to pick out (near the left, about half way up), as is the sea on either side of Italy (which pokes down off the bottom of the map about halfway across). Austria is roughly in the middle, I think.

So the snowfall is focussed on the west and south-west Italian Alps, and eastern side of the southern French Alps (I think). Not so much (a few inches) for your part of Austria, and most of it comes right at the end of the animation (so it's less certain).

Ah HA! Cool! Thanks
ski holidays
Good piece on SSW’s.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/el-ni%C3%B1o-and-stratospheric-polar-vortex

Snowy in Geneva this morning.
snow report
Weird here, 50cm in the garden, nothing on the roofs, been windy and very cold for 24hrs and no snowflakes, just particles swirling, no cohesion, probably dangerous.......
ski holidays

Though you might not believe it...
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Snowy in Geneva this morning.

Apparently the airport is shut
snow report
No surprise! Pretty heavy snow.
snow conditions
Lovely forecast coming together for St Anton next week in advance of our arrival on March 11th.

Mind you not as good as La Grave looks for the SH spring break, loadza snow...... I'm a bit envious, as they say:' we should have gone to specsavers'....Sad(
snow report
horgand wrote:
Lovely forecast coming together for St Anton next week in advance of our arrival on March 11th.

are you sure? To me it looks like a bland week of milky sun with the odd dusting of "dandruff" and seasonably mild temperatures...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
horgand wrote:

are you sure? To me it looks like a bland week of milky sun with the odd dusting of "dandruff" and seasonably mild temperatures...

Snow forecast has some snow due on
Today, tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. With a 1/2 metre due the day before we arrive.

If that's a` bland week of milky sunshine with the odd dusting of dandruff `, I'd take that every time. Break out the head & shoulders!!
latest report
For a change, I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about the weather in the mountains. Right now I'm more concerned that I might not be able to fly from Bristol to GVA tomorrow Crying or Very sad
snow report
@horgand,
Ah, good old snowforecast.
Looks more like unseasonably warm weather with heavy rain around the 11th.
Too far away to be accurate though. It might turn out alright Toofy Grin
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
@horgand,
Ah, good old snowforecast.
Looks more like unseasonably warm weather with heavy rain around the 11th.
Too far away to be accurate though. It might turn out alright Toofy Grin

Yeah, ever since ye doomsayers got on the case the 1/2m that was due on Saturday week has disappeared and been replaced with a freezing line that's gone up to 3000 bloody metres!!!!!

So kindly move along now, all your attention must be heating up my forecast Wink
snow report
@horgand, lesson learned I hope...

This thread is the place to come for realistic assessments of the future weather possibilities - Give those clickbait sites a miss
latest report
red 27 wrote:
@horgand, lesson learned I hope...

This thread is the place to come for realistic assessments of the future weather possibilities - Give those clickbait sites a miss

Absolutely, Snowforecast and their ilk are pants compared to this thread. Even the ECM-based Bergfex is subject to big swings in their forecast just five days out.
snow report
Some terrific powder skiing round Verbier last few days. Tomorrow should be special as the sun arrives.

The period round 11/12 March is interesting.

As this low pressure system arrives it will be drawing up warm up and will be followed by cold air. This could mean rain lower down particularly in the western Alps and Pyrenees, but is likely to be cooling by the time it reaches further east.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, that’s another cold hit for the Uk if it comes off???
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some terrific powder skiing round Verbier last few days. Tomorrow should be special as the sun arrives.........

That is so wrong, tomorrow is when it can be at it's most dangerous as people feel safe with the better viz, will probably still be 4/5, and with a bit of sun people will feel safe.

We're still questioning as where best to go, selecting routes etc and thinking maybe another couple of days for snow pack to settle.

For instance down this part of the world

www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/thabor/OPP13
snow report
@Weathercam, er I was talking about the weather being sunny tomorrow in Verbier after it has been snowy for a few days. Sounds pretty right to me.

I’m assuming you are talking about avalanche risk. I agree that the sun and better visibility may cause people to expose themselves to off piste risks.

But that doesn’t really change my view that the weather should be rather special.
snow report
Sorry I think you’re back tracking.

Such a fundamental error to go big on the first sunny day after storm activity.

You might know the weather but you don’t know the mountains'
ski holidays
@Weathercam, ???

This is a weather thread.

Goodness knows why you are throwing round insults at this time of night on the internet, but I suspect you may have had a sherbet too many.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy