Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Weekend report from Serre Chevalier: sunny Saturday morning, boot deep by last run then sun popped out again this morning with 40cm reported at the top and snow all the way down to Briançon at 1200m. Very Happy In the interest of full disclosure though I'd have to admit it warmed up during the day today, off piste became a bit sticky and few lifts open after 11 or so due to the wind.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avi risk 5 across the Valais. Another metre of snow forecast by tomorrow night and rising temps 😳😳😳
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loads of snow and loads of closed roads/resorts here.

Axamer Lizum, Nordkette, Kühtai, Schlick 2000 and Stubaier Glacier closed.

I skied at Patscherköfel instead, which was fun enough on piste but it doesn't really have much in the way of offpiste. It gets less snow than other nearby resorts but still had a good 30-40cm.

Hopefully at least Lizum will open tomorrow, but the top was being seriously blasted by the winds today...

Roads closed include: to/from Kühtai, to/from Ischgl, to/from Stubai, to St Anton (but I believe they allowed cars out, direction Landeck, for 2 hours this eve?), and I think much of Ötztal (Sölden/Obergurgl) but not 100% on that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any info on how the weather is looking for the end of the month ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tricky day coming up in the northern and western Alps tomorrow.

LWD Tirol has issued highest avalanche warning since 1999 (and Galtur).

“Tomorrow will be an extremely critical day: lots of naturally triggered avalanches!”

Video of avalanche between Pettneu and Schnann in Tirol outside St Anton.

https://www.facebook.com/Wetterwarnung/posts/1622141814545457

Further west SLF has provided the following weather outlook for Switzerland.

”On Sunday night the precipitation is expected to intensify once again, precipitation will be persistent and heavy. As a result of an arriving warm front, the snowfall level will ascend to between 1300 and 1800 m in northern regions and in the Valais. In western regions the snowfall level could ascend to 2200 m on Monday morning. In Grisons and in the southern regions, the snowfall level will be at 1000 m.

Fresh snow

Between Sunday evening and Monday evening, above 2000 m:

furthermost western part of Lower Valais, northern Valais, northern flank of the Alps, Grisons north of the Rhine: 80 to 120 cm;

remaining regions of the Valais: 60 to 80 cm;

remaining regions of northern Grisons and of the Gotthard region, northern part of Lower Engadine: 40 to 60 cm;

remaining regions of central Grisons and of the Engadine, Val Müstair: 20 to 40 cm;

further to the south, less; or else it will remain dry.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, between 0 °C in northern regions and -2 °C in southern regions.

Wind

Winds will be blowing at strong to storm velocity from westerly to northwesterly directions.

Obviously this will cause a lot of disruption. Stay safe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of lovely fresh powder to be found in Kitzbühel today once you got past lift closures. And everyone in town partying after the race. Amazing second run by Dave Ryding.

Warm and increasingly sunny Tuesday to Thursday before cold weather and fresh snow Friday into Saturday for the Alps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I give up. Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
I give up. Sad

I can't help sorry but I can reassure you that any precipitation should fall as snow, since we all know that "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain!"................(ducks for cover quickly)........... Very Happy rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Matrski, Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, looking absolutely on the 30 year average (although I don't know what that means for there) on Wetterzentrale. Quite a lot of scatter on the model from 30th/31st though. Click on the 4th green box down in the middle of the top of the page (ending in Karte) and then click on the map for coordinates of 43 degrees north 1 degree east.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavnmgeur.html

Bergfex just touching on that week now.

https://www.bergfex.com/baqueira-beret/wetter/prognose/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@robboj, thanks. I was hoping one of the experts on wigglies would opine. But thank you anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Hurtle, currently looking more likely to be high pressure dominated, sunny and relatively mild with all the usual caveats given how far out that is.

?? This from Friday evening.

Looks cool and snowy this Friday/Saturday. So fresh snow between sunny weather this week and then the following week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avalanches or risk of avalanches on transport routes closing off quite a few places . St Anton, Ischgl and Zermatt all closed off at times in last day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Hurtle, currently looking more likely to be high pressure dominated, sunny and relatively mild with all the usual caveats given how far out that is.

?? This from Friday evening.

Looks cool and snowy this Friday/Saturday. So fresh snow between sunny weather this week and then the following week.
I'm so sorry, I couldn't see for looking. Embarassed Everything else is so much more dramatic.Thank you. Particularly since it looks like just what the doctor ordered. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing in Tokyo.

http://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles/AJ201801220015.html
latest report
Tweng is a little village down The Valley from Obertauern. They’ve also been cut off, but seem to be making the most of it!

https://www.facebook.com/Wetterwarnung/videos/1622856914473947/
ski holidays
GFS 18z has it cold with some snow in the Eastern Alps for the first week of Feb. After slightly above average temperatures in the last week of Jan.
snow report
@Drammeister, probably you mean 12z. But yes though a long way out.
snow report
Ischgl avalanche today.

https://www.facebook.com/Wetterwarnung/videos/1623069397786032/
ski holidays
Shocked
nozawaonsen wrote:
Ischgl avalanche today.

https://www.facebook.com/Wetterwarnung/videos/1623069397786032/
Confused Confused
latest report
The warm temps and heavy rain forecast for today is yet to materialize. Been below freezing all day and still snowing here in Gasteinertal.

Thankfully they seem to have got it very wrong, so far anyway.
ski holidays
Well, they didn't get it wrong in the Jungfrau Region in Switzerland. It rained all day below 1800m
snow report
THEY and their kind, And their kin. They. Them.

Are the epitomy of all, everything, every little bit, every iota, of all that well WE, how blessed we are, and righteous and right, glory be to us the chosen, and everything... I mean everything, though exemptions are available if you know who to talk to if you know what I mean, though I digress... that WE believe in.

That is why WE, the downtrodden, unjustifiedly mind you, and rained upon, lots at certain altitudes, will rise up!

And throw off THEIR petty rules and laws (not least so we can introduce our own) and allow us to ascend (POMA will do, but a heated chairlift would be better) above to our true, justified and ancient position above the snowline!

http://youtube.com/v/ZX0mcases4M
ski holidays
nurse, the screens...
ski holidays
@red 27, another round would be more polite.
snow report
Woke up to 20+cms of snow in the city and Instagram stories full of warnings about level 4/5 avalanche danger and playing safe.

Two quick messages and plans were fixed for a morning of the shallowest powder skiing we could find in the flattest terrain we know:

Flat and shallow powder skiing in Tirol from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/252227564

Didn't suck!

Raining hard in the city now but it's not actually that warm yet (-0.4 at the bottom of Nordkette at 860m).
snow report
@clarky999, lucky you. Need scuba gear here at 1500m
latest report
@clarky999, can I ask what that has to do with the weather outlook thread? Isn’t there somewhere else that you can post films of yourself skiing, perhaps there is a narcissist thread Toofy Grin?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zzz, rule #1
No friends on a powder day.
ski holidays
2 days ago: face shots every turn in Les Marécottes, bumped into Jeremy Heitz, deepest snow since Japan 2 years ago. Right now it’s 10 deg.C in Aosta...at 10:30pm...ouch
snow report
zzz wrote:
@clarky999, can I ask what that has to do with the weather outlook thread? Isn’t there somewhere else that you can post films of yourself skiing, perhaps there is a narcissist thread Toofy Grin?

It shows what the weather did and how the forecast panned out in reality

zzz wrote:
Isn’t there somewhere else that you can post films of yourself skiing, perhaps there is a narcissist thread Toofy Grin?

My narcissist thread is here, but I didn't have time to sort photos yet hence no full post: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134058
latest report
@clarky999, more cackling needed Very Happy
snow report
@nozawaonsen, can I have some of what you're on? Toofy Grin
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@clarky999, more cackling needed Very Happy
+1 I think the post was excellent (apart from a cackle deficit). To anyone who objects, I would just say zzz.
wink
snow conditions
Whoppee doo. Another bit of unedited headcam footage on the internet for personal gratification.
ski holidays
Errr didn’t this thread used to be about the weather outlook? To bring back on track anyone care to summarise the outlook for the EK for the week from next weekend 27/ 28 Jan.

Will it be the best week of skiing of the year so far? High pressure, sunny skies and gentle winds? Bluebird days? Black flag free and 100% lifts open? If Carlsberg did ski weeks would this be the week? Have I chosen the ultimate week to ski after the biggest dump in 40 years? Please tell me I have. Please! Razz
ski holidays
Mx6martin wrote:
Errr didn’t this thread used to be about the weather outlook? To bring back on track anyone care to summarise the outlook for the EK for the week from next weekend 27/ 28 Jan.

Will it be the best week of skiing of the year so far? High pressure, sunny skies and gentle winds? Bluebird days? Black flag free and 100% lifts open? If Carlsberg did ski weeks would this be the week? Have I chosen the ultimate week to ski after the biggest dump in 40 years? Please tell me I have. Please! Razz

Alas no. That will be a couple of weeks later, when I'm out Madeye-Smiley
latest report
TomE wrote:
Mx6martin wrote:

Alas no. That will be a couple of weeks later, when I'm out Madeye-Smiley

That’s actually going to be when I go to St. Anton, the week in between (Feb 3-10) Very Happy
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
Whoppee doo. Another bit of unedited headcam footage on the internet for personal gratification.

Cheer up old boy! Why don’t you send us some scuba footage from Morzine to enjoy 🤣

Should be a good one today 😉
snow conditions
Some chilly charts starting to crop up for early February, though too far out to take seriously at present.

Weather should start to become increasingly sunny and mild as this week goes on.

Still some uncertainty about potential for fresh snowfall Friday/Saturday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy