Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Still no signs of colder temps after sunday? A bit sad if all this new snow in the nw alps will rain away again :/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More rain on the way for the European Alps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lol.. the merchant of doom is back!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
staffsan. Really! You should know better than that.
Forecasts have been rather variable about the temperature.
Just now for La Plagne (and probably most nearby places) freezing level remains below 1800 next week, so rain/snow limit 300m below that.
And rain? What rain?
All these Negative Waves again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will be fine above 1500m. And it will be EPIC above 2000m. If you’re skiing above these heights stop stressing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, wasnt my meaning to trigger any negativity. Its just, ive been so looking forward to these next 2,5 weeks and spent a lot of money and time so its not too weird to be a bit anxious no? Maybe i should just move to the alps and open my own private clinic to be sure to savour all the good days every winter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heres a gif from yesterdays treeriding in Ischgl to spread better vibes (and to boast). Way more snow fell today, hopefully more epic treeruns tomorrow!

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/Gq1y5nMj8wY
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@staffsan,
A bit far out but it looks like it cools down again starting on the 26th and remains mild but not warm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ptspeak wrote:
@staffsan,
A bit far out but it looks like it cools down again starting on the 26th and remains mild but not warm.

What constitutes mild and warm? I see these terms everywhere but I'm not sure what exactly they mean degree wise
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@südtirolistdeutsch,
I guess that’s a question for the experts on here, but it lloks like midweek it will be 6-8C or low-mid 40’s F. I consider that warm. I consider around freezing mild, but i suppose that’s very subjective. I like below freezing so both are suboptimal to me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stormy weather is going continue for a while. This is going to be most notable in the western end of the northern Alps (the more to the south and east the calmer and sunnier it will be). It looks like there will be a further period of intense snow on Sunday into Monday. The snow live will reach up to 1900m in places like the Tarentaise and 1600m in the Arlberg. Some areas could see more than 2m of snowfall between now and Monday morning on top of what has already fallen.

This looks like being followed by a rather pleasant sunny spell next week though temperatures will be above average for the time of year and it could start to feel a bit spring like.

Currently looks like cooling by the following weekend.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @nozawaonsen
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
staffsan wrote:
Still no signs of colder temps after sunday? A bit sad if all this new snow in the nw alps will rain away again :/

Again? When was the last time that happened? It's not like rain following snow in the UK. The rain here has less of an effect on accumulated snowfalls, especially on piste. I'd guess this is due to the ground being frozen and the rain being colder, so less energy to transfer to the snow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snoozeboy, agreed. In the valley yes but not in resorts. Great to have the weather systems coming in frequently.
snow report
staffsan wrote:

The current base which is the largest it has been for a number of years is not going anywhere (for the high resorts anyway) until April or May - the top layer (one that we should care about) will invariably fluctuate in quality depending on the weather cycle and other parameters but this season is turning out to be bloody brilliant.
snow report
THought it was supposed to get really cold from Saturday? Did that change?

Packing now for trip on Friday, I was expecting -20 before wind chill - what did I miss??
latest report
Pending wrote:
THought it was supposed to get really cold from Saturday? Did that change?

Packing now for trip on Friday, I was expecting -20 before wind chill - what did I miss??

All weather forecasts for a good few days, it would seem
latest report
@Nelbert75, Laughing
snow report
scotspikey wrote:
@Nelbert75, Laughing

+1 Laughing

Oops!
latest report
snoozeboy wrote:
staffsan wrote:

Again? When was the last time that happened? It's not like rain following snow in the UK. The rain here has less of an effect on accumulated snowfalls, especially on piste. I'd guess this is due to the ground being frozen and the rain being colder, so less energy to transfer to the snow.

Indeed the latent energy required to melt ice (or I assume snow) is huge. Off the top of my head 1kg of rain falling at 1deg C could only melt about 13grams of ice - and that assumes that the ice is at freezing point, not several degrees below.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, is it too soon to start asking how things are shaping up for the Spanish Pyrenees, and in particular Baqueira-Beret, in the week commencing 29 January? Pretty please. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hoping for masses of more snow for next week, then lovely crisp clear blue skies from the 28th in La Plagne!
ski holidays
@Fridge03, why? Off piste you don’t want “masses” as it will likely be unstable, on piste you don’t need it as there’s more than required already...
snow report
As a boarder I just don't want a thaw/freeze cycle as it results in hard pistes. Not so bad in spring as they soften up during the day but in winter if temps stay low after the thaw/freeze cycle then they stay hard, so those currently forecast warm temps next week are a little worrying but hey ho, can't control the weather and there's been tons of snow so they'll be something to ride all week, only 9 days to go Smile
ski holidays
SlF outlook for Switzerland.

”Weather forecast through Friday, 19.01.2018

In northern regions, the snowfall is expected to continue. The snowfall level will descend down to low lying areas on Thursday night. In the furthermost southern regions it will be quite sunny.

Fresh snow

Between Thursday evening and Friday evening, the following amounts of fresh snow are anticipated above 1500 m:

furthermost western part of the Lower Valais, eastern sector of the northern flank of the Alps, Prättigau, Silvretta, Samnaun: 20 to 40 cm;

western and central sectors of the northern flank of the Alps, remaining parts of the Valais, remaining parts of northern and central Grisons, remaining parts of the Lower Engadine, Jura region: 10 to 20 cm;

in other regions of Switzerland, less; in southern regions it will remain dry.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, between -8 °C in northern regions and -4 °C in southern regions.

Wind

Winds at high altitudes will be blowing at strong velocity from westerly directions, subsequently tapering off slightly during the course of the day. Winds in southern regions will be blowing at strong velocity from the northwest.

Outlook through Sunday,

Saturday

Skies will be heavily overcast. In western and northern regions, a small amount of snowfall is anticipated down to low lying areas. The strong velocity westerly winds are expected to continue. The avalanche danger is not expected to change significantly. Winter sports activities in outlying terrain away from secured ski runs require a great deal of experience in evaluating avalanche dangers on-site, as well as restraint.

Sunday

On Saturday night in western and northern regions, intensive precipitation is expected to set in, accompanied by strong westerly winds. The snowfall level will be at low lying areas to start with, subsequently ascend during the course of the day, particularly in western regions. The precise weather developments are still uncertain at this juncture. The avalanche danger levels will increase in the major areas of precipitation in the west and in the north, presumably reaching danger level 4 (high). For all backcountry freeriders and skiers, the conditions are unfavourable over widespread areas. Only in the furthermost southern regions is the avalanche situation favourable for the most part.”
snow conditions
Snowy start to Kitzbühel. Super G shortened and delayed to 1300.

But not looking too bad for the downhill and slalom.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/eventwetter/copy_of_hahnenkammrennen-in-kitzbuehel
snow conditions
Looking ahead to next weekend looks like a spell of cooler weather and fresh snow Friday into Saturday for the Alps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could it possibly settle down for a bit after next weekend?Some signs of a quieter colder spell maybe?

Im in Verbier 1 - 5th,would be nice to get a top up just before but a bit too early to say yet.
latest report
Snowing in Syria in Al Suywada, some Syrians have frozen to death crossing into Lebanon.

https://syria.liveuamap.com/pics/2018/01/19/21603598_2.jpg
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Snowing in Syria in Al Suywada, some Syrians have frozen to death crossing into Lebanon.

https://syria.liveuamap.com/pics/2018/01/19/21603598_2.jpg

Link doesn't work
snow report
@Hurtle, currently looking more likely to be high pressure dominated, sunny and relatively mild with all the usual caveats given how far out that is.
snow conditions
A lot more snow to come for those parts of the NW Alps that have already seen quite a bit.

The snowline will be swinging between 900-1700m in the west. Snowfall building from tomorrow afternoon with some very strong winds overnight.

Expect lift and travel disruption through till Tuesday when things will clear up considerably.

ski holidays
Stunning morning in Kitzbühel first thing! Sun burning through clouds. Thicker cloud crossing over now, crowds pouring in, horns blaring!
snow conditions
Great to hear noza, off to get eurosport on!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 20-01-18 15:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Swiss have just gone crazy.
snow conditions
Germans go wild!!
snow report
Looks like the start of Snowmageddon III is underway in the N French alps Smile

Good luck to those on a late transfer
snow report
Rockslide has closed the Visp to Tasch section of the railline to Zermatt. Indefinite closure, (i.e. they don't know how long yet). On transfer day!
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Germans go wild!!
that was phenomenal, so pleased for Dreßen!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy