Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for resort - mixed ability, lowish for half term

Poster: A snowHead
The family has spoken re next year's ski holiday. Mrs Dobby wants some nice easy blues and doesn't want to be skiing all the time. So somewhere with something to do other than skiing. Daughter 2 also wants some nice easy blues to cruise down. I want a nice mix of blues and reds, with the odd black. Daughter 1 wants some reds and blacks. Get the impression that MRs Dobby and Daughter 2 will be taking it easy and Daughter 1 will be caning my legs off down runs I usually wouldn't go down. Resort also needs to be lowish; skiing can be higher, but one of us gets affected by altitude. We also need to go at half term. Apres is not that important, but nice to have a few places for a few beers - Skiwelt was great this year in that respect. Resort mileage not important, as we don't mind repeating the same runs. Probably not Scandinavia this year, possibly looking at Austria. Not fussed about whether SC or catered. Any suggestions gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That description has saint Gervais written all over it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonny996, cheers. Piste map looks interesting.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about Samoens?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It also sounds quite like Les Saisies (far more convenient skiing than either St Gervais or Samoens) but, frankly, I'd avoid France at half term! Italy, maybe?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine (but you will be caught out if snow is poor)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Thuile, Aosta, Italy. Resort is at 1400m, skiing is all higher.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah if you can avoid France, do.

Altitude requirement suggests Austria to me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooo. Forgot about La Thuile. Skied there years and years ago. A week of white out but could be good.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kronplatz looks good too. Chance for Daughter 2 to use her Italian, too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dobby, at what point does altitude become a problem (and are you sure it's altitude related). Modern-ish jets are typically pressurised to around 2,100m.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, v good point. Not aware of it being a problem when flying but flights taken have not been v long. First experienced in risoul which is at about 1800m I think. Problem (benign ectopics) is also tiredness and stress related. Didn't sleep well in Risoul due to rowdy student neighbours bless em. We think the altitude made things worse but is definitely not sole cause. Maybe have to spend a bit more to get nicer accommodation. And let mrs dobby ski a bit less if she wants to... Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dobby, neither a medic nor an expert but the number of confounding factors and not experience in even short flights suggest to me that altitude is not the issue.

Which would open much up, e.g. Monterosa which is not swarming at half term. Champoluc (1,600m or so) has a nice new Spa admittedly not the cheapest...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would be looking at somewhere in Italy to avoid the French school crowds.

Alta Badia on the Sella Ronde would be very high on my list. 1300 m so it is low. Endless style flattering blue and red runs. head over to the Marmolada for some more challenging runs.

When I was still working I was in education so had to go at half term and quickly found how uncrowded the Dolomites were compared to almost any French resort. I preferred to stay in Arraba but liked Selva as well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Note that Mardi Gras is 13 Feb so clashes with half term.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2966764

So the Aosta valley is likely to be busy.
snow conditions
Our kids are off from 17th so doesn't clash. It depends where you live.
latest report
@altis, thanks for the info. We're off on 17th Feb so that should work out if we go to la thuile
ski holidays
In that case I'd suggest Pila staying down in Aosta town. Very low altitude (583m) and a few Roman ruins to look round. Lots of places to stay. We've stayed here before:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/5495450?location=Aosta

Easy walk to gondola, great host but only the double bed is permanent. The others are pull-outs in the lounge.
ski holidays
Saalbach, Flachau, Schladming?

Stuff to do as well as skiing. Lots of blues/easy reds. Low. We went to Schladming last half term and it wasn't rammed at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy