Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suggestions please - young babies, low altitude

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for the magic of snowheads to suggest some resorts for me to look into for skiing with a baby.

We are a group of three couples and each of us will have a young baby aged between 5 and 9 months old by March next year. We are planning to share childcare responsibilities between us so external childcare is not an issue.

Our current thinking is we'd like to go skiing in mid-March when it is warmer, accepting that we will not ski huge amounts so don't need 500km of piste. We don't want to pay through the nose for a extensive ski area lift pass which we won't really use as we'll be skiing in short stints of a few hours so are unlikely to get very far. We think it best to stay in a low-ish resort, ideally in an apartment with three sensible bedrooms, that is centrally located close to town and lifts/slopes. We don't want to faff with buses and we would like those doing baby care duties to be able to stroll easily to get a hot choc or meet for lunch at a cafe on the Front de neige. We're open to chalet or hotel stays but we will be on a budget.

Ability wise we range from early intermediate to advanced off pister but in reality we are looking for at least a moderate extent of slopes to mostly cruise on, but if the odd challenge was available, even better.

I've currently been focusing on Les Gets, since it ticks all the boxes and there appears to be decent apartments for about £250pp.
I've also looked at Les Carroz/Flaine and Alpbach. Could you suggest other resorts that might be worth investigating?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@carettam, Before getting to your penultimate para, I was thinking 'Les Gets' so great minds! I think it could be ideal for your requirements, but Les Carroz too. St Gervais perhaps? There are some apartments at the base of the gondola - never been in them so can't comment on what they're like. St G is a nice town, very easily reached from Geneva, flattish walk from apartments to town pushing a buggy, some shops, cafes, restaurants etc., but the skiing is above town via the gondola, so no front de neige chocolate stops. Les Gets might be the best bet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you guys are doing your own childcare I would definitely recommend apartments rather than hotels or chalets, as neither those tend to have the space to setup a play area for children.

In terms of low altitude- what about Sweden? We are trying there for the first time in February so can't really say if it will be suitable but certainly low. However I did notice they had lift passes you can buy which you can share with your children partner
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiWelt or Ski Juwel Alpbach etc but with the caveat that snow may not be reliable in late March.
Move the date to early March and a lot more possibilities open up
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first suggestion would be Chamonix. Resort is at 1,000m altitude which is absolutely fine for babies. Loads of apartments possible there and high altitude skiing for the parents when required. 1 hour transfer from Geneva which is another bonus with babies. Big bustling town centre with loads going on for when you're not on the slopes. Plenty to see and do, it's impossible to be bored in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for Les Gets. Chatel a possible on the same circuit. Maybe La Clusaz? I like Chamonix but don't think it meets your 'we don't want to faff with buses' preference.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know I've recommended it to you before but I think Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz would be hard to beat for convenience for the slopes and village. Flaine would also be a very good option. I'd also recommend looking at Les Saisies and La Clusaz. If you are thinking of apartments I would rent individual ones as then you will not get woken at night by other people's babies crying.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
intermediate wrote:
+1 for Les Gets. Chatel a possible on the same circuit. Maybe La Clusaz? I like Chamonix but don't think it meets your 'we don't want to faff with buses' preference.

I'd argue that although Chamonix does indeed have a bus system, if you're staying in the main town then you have 5 times as much happening on your doorstep than the the whole village of Les Gets. Whether you then choose to get on buses/trains etc to explore further is up to you. Ditto the skiing. Brevent-Flegere is accesible directly from Chamonix centre and has simialr amounts of piste to what's directly accesible in Les Gets. Again, your choice as to whether you then choose to explore further afield.

In short, if you think Les Gets has all boxes ticked then you should seriously consider Chamonix for everything Les Gets offers and more.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carettam, I've dropped you a PM Happy I'd say Chamonix was a reasonable choice to throw into the mix.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Gets sounds pretty good to me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@carettam, have sent pm with details of an apartment that we used in March last year in Les Gets
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen.at, the village is low with lots of shops, cafes etc but this skiing relatively high and reliable and a good atmosphere. Lots of apartments there and mid March should be eminently affordable.

Schladming would also work as would Elmau, Bad Hofgastein and lots of other nice Austrian resorts like Alpbach.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La clusaz fits you bill quite well. It also has an awesome indoor outdoor pool which would be great for the kids
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Saisies could work well. Mid March after French school hols finish would be ideal - and at that point would be much less busy than Les Gets, as the overwhelming majority of visitors are French, and as soon as the "vacances scolaires" are over, it's low season. There are loads of apartments of all sizes within easy walking reach of the "front de neige". And more hot chocolate stops than you can shake a ski stick at. A very manageable size town to walk around in, and quite attractive - it's a fair bit higher than Les Gets and you've a better chance of "resort level snow" later in the season. Les Gets would work though, and you can get up to the "front de neige" as a non skier (though logistically more of a faff than in Les Saisies, where it's an easy stroll with a buggy or three from anywhere in the town).

In your position I'd want one apartment, not separate ones as suggested above - because that will have space and equipment for you all to sit comfortably round one table for your evening meal. And listen to all the babies at the same time. Should be a great holiday

Lift accessed accessible off piste is not bad in Les Saisies - not extensive, but not immediately skied out, either and I could recommend an instructor to show you the way!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As the post didnt say has to be continental Europe/France try looking at Scandinavia.

Low resorts and the Skistar ones do a parent lift pass that can be shared. Saw quite a few baby buggies being wheeled through Trysil when we were there.

The hot chocolate was one of the few items not eye waterlingly expensive at the restaurants!
snow report
@ster, +1. Or try Are in Sweden - not as eye-wateringly expensive as Norway.
snow report
Thanks all, lots to be thinking about here. Les Saises and La Clusaz are both areas I've not been to, look like they would also tick the boxes, plus I'm always keen to go to new resorts .Schladming is another option that appeals, so will look into that.
I've skied parts of the PdS so I'm happy that Snowheads have worked their magic and shown me that there are other options.
I've also stayed and skied in Les Carroz before, and while I'm not discounting it, I was keen to hear about areas that are new to me.
Much of the skiwelt/SkiJewel looks lovely but most of the resort villages appear to not really be the 'front de neige' type places, and also a little low for a mid-March break (although I admit that low down in Les Gets will be very much spring skiing by then too).Bad Hofgastein appears to be similar, great skiing but long walks/bus faff likely to reach the slopes. I've skiied Mayrhofen before, really liked it but again there is no snow front cafes for easy lunch meet ups, you have to faff with Penken gondola.

I'll take another look at some of the Scandi resorts. I did think about them before and would like to give them a go. What put me off was the price, as I'm on a budget, plus some resorts seem to have lots of drag lifts, which my boarder husband is not too keen on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy