Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The danger of skinny skis…

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now that is a deep crevasse!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrLvjhjr5Tl/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good reason to carry an ice axe and steel crampons! Apparently he climbed out somehow?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked Shocked

I wouldn't say Black Crows made skinny skis though Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is pretty much my nightmare scenario when glacier skiing. Very lucky they stayed feet down, otherwise we probably wouldn’t be seeing the video………..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very composed

Wasn't his first rodeo
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I see a potential market for helium canisters for airbags…
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a similar experience skiing the VB - a mate spotted a slot, braked sharply and ended up sitting on a crumbling snow-bridge.

This eventually gave way end he ended up hanging upside-down from his (telemark) skis which were bridging the crevasse. Luckily we had harnesses on, so got a rope to him & set up a z-pulley hoist and were able to haul him out.

One thing in common with the video is the natural reaction to brake sharply before the slot, which potentially overloads the bridge causing it to collapse. If you were to keep straight running maybe you'd bridge the crevasse & not collapse the bridge.

That would certainly have worked in our case, but I guess you don't get time to make that split second decision, and do what comes naturally
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
A good reason to carry an ice axe and steel crampons! Apparently he climbed out somehow?

...and an ice screw, a sling, a prussik or two!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Not sure they’d help if you were climbing out alone?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

.... you shouldn't be skiing alone in glaciated terrain, and without carrying rescue kit (in the perfect world) Smile

Another lucky one.....

http://youtube.com/v/9FGNCu-al4g
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

The ice screw will secure you. That'd be my first, overriding priority...

The other bits yeah, would need a mate with a rope.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Years ago a group of us were involved in the rescue of a numpty who got cliffed out trying to ski BETWEEN Trifides 1 and 2 Shocked . After 45 mins standing on his skis, the rescuers said he was on the limit of what his lower leg could stand and he would've just fallen off. I wouldn't want to be standing on one edge on a tiny bit of snow stuck to a near vert slab of ice for very long...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy