Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DESIGNING A SKI BACKPACK

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am a product design student in my third year, please could you answer my questionnaire, it would be a lot of help for my final project, it should only take a few minutes.
Just copy and paste the link below into your browser, Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/VYN8BQ5
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done, good luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Done
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done - goodluck !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done and good luck
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Done, but when do i get to say what i want in a backpack
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's the difference between a backpack vs. a snowpack?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
done
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

£50
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:

Several thousand pounds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is a snowpack indeed? Puzzled

Would not fancy carrying this around all day!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpack

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 26-10-17 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
essex wrote:
Done, but when do i get to say what i want in a backpack

you can let me know here, would be super helpful, thank you!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
done
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Done
latest report
@Charlottemay97, I've filled it all in but there are some bits that maybe you should consider.
There are many seasonaires not just holiday skiers.
There are also peeps like me who live in ski areas.
Depending on the type of ski day and type of conditions would depend on whether I took or needed a bag.
I ski on piste, teach, off piste and tour (mainly for off piste but also for 'fun'...sometimes wink )
So that last question is all dependant on other variables.
ski holidays
^

This - I'm not an instructor or anything but I use several different packs when skiing depending on the nature of the skiing I'm going to be doing. I think there is a risk that you come up with an overdesigned pack that tries to meet every need but ends up being to heavy/bulky/fussy
snow conditions
I think the use of the term snowpack which I don't think I have ever seen anyone use in the ski world other than in the sense of accumulated snow on the ground makes that question somewhat farcial. Basically for a non airbag you can't go far wrong with the Da Kine Heli and Heli Pro. They got it right years ago.

BTW if skiing in N America I'll often ski without a pack, in Europe its always with an airbag. For most piste skiers I think a pack is unnecessary unless planning on epic picnicking.
snow conditions
The more common term in the UK is 'rucsac'. 'Backpack' is new world.
ski holidays
Agreed there is a lot of different uses depending on the day planned for example i have a 30l ski touring pack which i take if i'm away from the pistes for the full day but also have a smaller 20l pack which is used most day to carry drinks and snacks / spare gloves but its also have to be capable of carrying an avi shovel and probe / carry skis because i often see a nice line off the top of a lift and decide to hike to get to it.

you then have the piste backpack which i think it maybe more for parents who are having to carry juice / snacks spare hats etc....no need for carrying a shovel or skis
snow report
@Peter S, you're missing 2 'k's from that... maybe design a bag to retain errant 'k's
snow report
Peter S wrote:

I think that's from ancient history, they've been backpacks for quite a long time now.

As stated, snowpack is what you're skiing on.

If I don't need to carry a shovel/ airbag then I these are pointless accessories to me.
latest report
True. We live in the old world these days. All the running on the language is made elsewhere.
snow report
Quote:

I think that's from ancient history, they've been backpacks for quite a long time now.

That is news to me. I don't think I have heard anyone say "backpack" except to refer to "backpackers". If anything the more common term is "sack" whereas "pack" is what one gets one's porter to carry. The old term would be "haversack"
ski holidays
@Peter S,
Quote:

@Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

@Peter S, you're missing 2 'k's from that... maybe design a bag to retain errant 'k's

Actually, I can't say I've ever seen it spelled without any 'k's, (although I gather it can be), but I was firmly of the opinion that the correct spelling is 'Rucsack' with just one 'k' at the very end.

'Backpack' seems very American and foreign to me.
snow report
If I am carrying arva and shovel, where’s my probe?

I realise my Mont Blanc annual pass is reassuringly expensive, but why do I need it in my backpack? Simplified insurance claim when my pack is nicked?
snow conditions
Why is it that the posers of these questionnaires seem to not have done their first basic research?

@Charlottemay97, I am not singling you out. I am being picky on your questions, it was generally fine. Although, and this reflects my own likes in packs... I’d be more interested in sizes, fits, ski/board carriage, compression straps, etc.

I mislaid (!) it years ago sadly but I had the most awesome 22l Osprey pack bought for running home from the London office (i.e. day clothes, etc, inside) which coped amazingly with day powder touring in WY. Avvy kit, super accessible, layers, water, meals, 9 yards...

I wish I hadn’t lent it to someone...

Others less so Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Why is it that the posers of these questionnaires seem to not have done their first basic research?

Fresh look at things. Seriously!

If the OP has done a thorough study, she would have found just about all the variation of needs had already been met on the market! But that's not the point of her study. The point (I think) is for the student to pick something they're NOT all that familiar, and go through the process of research, design proposal etc. All without the hindrance of pre-existing biases of what's already available.

Of course, I maybe entirely wrong on the purpose of her project! Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:

No, no no. A rucksack is far larger and would contain kit sufficient to be able to spend several days and nights outdoors. What you are referring to is a satchel Laughing
snow report
@abc, My main point was, if you have arva and shovel, you really should have a probe... which is, I admit a somewhat esoteric point if you aren’t an off piste skier, but if you’re researching potential off piste skiing kit ...
snow conditions
@under a new name, I'm not convinced the OP even knows much about off-piste skiing.
snow conditions
@abc, but it is basic advice...
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Peter S,
Quote:

@Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

Actually, I can't say I've ever seen it spelled without any 'k's, (although I gather it can be), but I was firmly of the opinion that the correct spelling is 'Rucsack' with just one 'k' at the very end.

'Backpack' seems very American and foreign to me.

According to my dictionary the correct spelling is RUCKSACK. The listed synonyms from a variety of sources seem to be - backpack, haversack, knapsack or even kitbag or just sack. The actual term used seems to vary by context and or country.
snow report
abc wrote:
@under a new name, I'm not convinced the OP even knows much about off-piste skiing.

Problem is "off-piste" can cover everything from in bounds controlled in n america to multiple day back country ski tours. Very different backpack requirements and demands for each.
snow report
@boarder2020, but if your list of desired components includes shovel and arva, it should include a probe...
snow conditions
In this part of the world it used to be just "pack" no other details required. If you were picky it could be Day Pack or Climbing Pack or Tramping Pack. They all went on your back so Backpack was superfluous. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
abc wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Fresh look at things. Seriously!

If the OP has done a thorough study, she would have found just about all the variation of needs had already been met on the market! But that's not the point of her study. The point (I think) is for the student to pick something they're NOT all that familiar, and go through the process of research, design proposal etc. All without the hindrance of pre-existing biases of what's already available.

Of course, I maybe entirely wrong on the purpose of her project! Embarassed

Thanks for the back up!
Yeah I have to do a research report before I start designing and this questionnaire is to try show that there is a need for my product and figure out a target market. I'm only an amateur designer still in uni so I'm still learning! 😃

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
abc wrote:

I have been off-piste quite a bit, but am not an expert at it, that's why I need help with my research from you guys ☺️
ski holidays
Charlottemay97 wrote:
to try show that there is a need for my product and figure out a target market.

I think that's where you may have an issue. As has already been mentioned, there are a lot of bags/rucsacs/sacks/haversacks/rucsacks/rucksacks/backpacks/packs/satchels already on the market and offering good options. The DaKine Heli (as already mentioned) is pretty much the coverall, but any of the ABS bags are pretty much going to cover the bases of what you want from a touring bag. The backpack that I've got even came with a avi shovel and probe already included...and not a crappy plastic shovel either.
ski holidays
Possible features...

Separate compartment for shovel and probe.
Some form of ski carry (Diagonal carry works better than A Frame).
Waistbelt and chest strap.
Goggle pocket.
Small pocket on hip belt for phone or camera.
Helmet carry.
Internal or external pocket for wallet, lip salve etc.
Hydration system.
Avalung.
Climbing harness style gear loop for carrying ice screws on a glacier.
Water bottle pocket on shoulder strap (for skinning).
Compression straps to make the bag smaller when it is not full.
Whistle on chest strap buckle.
Removable back padding to make the bag lighter when you are carrying less.
Spine protector.
Ice axe carry loops.
Option to swivel the pack to your front on chairlifts (Some Wedze packs do this).
Option to add an inflatable avalanche flotation bag that you buy later(have seen this feature on a Mystery Ranch pack that is no longer available).

I have a suspicion that for many consumers - features sell skiing rucksacks, but, there are a proportion of consumers who will want the pack to be simple and will choose a pack with minimal features.

Fabric is obviously another factor. Most will want a high denier fabric, although some ski tourers want a lighter fabric. Sustainable fabrics? (Recycled, Bluesign approved).

Size (again obviously) depends on use. A ski guide working off the La Grave lift system - larger pack for rope etc, a piste skier -smaller pack, rest of us, somewhere in between.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy