Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break booking technique

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm sorting a short break for around 6 people - so 3 (not 2...!) twin rooms.

Found very cheap flights in mid Jan from Sat to Tues but struggling to find accomodation at the moment in the French resorts within 1.5hrs.

Is this because it's still too early for January 2018 for the rooms to have been released onto the tourist office sites as we're still in the "summer" season?

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-06-17 20:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yikes, just had a quick look on Morzine on Booking.com

You're not kidding.

I guess that next year's rates aren't up yet?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there's six of you, you could fill a room in a gite. They will offer you Saturday to Tuesday accommodation.

Did it once in a group and it came in real cheap. Never done it in smaller groups though cause although I've done a fair few hostels in the UK I feel a bit worried about leaving expensive gear in a shared room of foreigners...a bit sad I know!

Can look up the name of the one Chamonix if your interested, it was located on the road up the valley towards le praz. 5min walk into town, 10mins into the centre. Bus stop right outside to get you to whichever area you want (flegere 5min bus ride).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Yeah, I'm looking at new year for me and Mrs BB and can't see much then either - and that's just for 1 room.

@manicpb, considered a gite/chalet, however, it's 6 lads that would rather pay more for a decent hotel with decent facilities like pool etc.

I've looked at getting different hotels for the group and that doesn't help - so i'm hoping it is jus a wee bit too early. I've looked on all the portals plus the tourist office sites for some of the usual resorts.

Puzzling as i'm sure it's not been this hard before.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Badbobby, I know a British run hotel in Megeve that may be able to accommodate you early in the season. No swimming pool but town has excellent sports centre 5 mins bus ride away. Not cheap but comfortable and very well run hotel, with great food. BTW I have no direct involvement with them, just enjoyed a couple of stays there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@intermediate, thanks for the offer - but I think the desire is to have a pool on site or, at the least, a spa.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Badbobby wrote:

@manicpb, considered a gite/chalet, however, it's 6 lads that would rather pay more for a decent hotel with decent facilities like pool etc.

Fair play, gites aren't for everyone.

What lads want to hang about in pools and spa's though...I thought lads weekends were about ridiculously fast skiing and heavy drinking! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@manicpb, given it's France, I think the plan is ski until 4pm, soak in spa, then food and lash. If it were Austria I'd be suggesting finish at 4pm then drink until 11pm!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No one makes less than 7 day bookings available this far out unless they want to thrown money down the drain or are pricing at 4 days for the price of 7. You have to hold your nerve quite late if you want in prime resort rooms for a short break in most places (which kinda indicates against getting 3 rooms in the same place). Looking down valley you might find hoteliers a bit more pragmatic.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks Dave. Given it's a low season week and we aren't overly fussed where we go, I guess we'll have to hold our nerve.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix valley accommodation is usually very flexible and available in advance, but this is too far in advance even for that. August, as the summer calms down, is the typical time when our local agencies start to load up winter availability. Sensibly, the accommodation providers here have realised that there is just as much demand for odd dates as for the normal sat/sat, so apart from February half term weeks, they are very flexible and no need to hold your nerve til lthe last minute.

www.agence-montagne.com in Argentiere happily does short breaks of any duration for a range of apartments. They're our go-to place for overflow guests needing apartments, some of which have a pool. From a hotel perspective, there are a couple of nice ones in town with indoor/outdoor pools and spas, easy walk to the lift and flexible durations.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is exactly as @Dave of the Marmottes, says - most hotels will only release weekend accommodation at chepa rates once they are pretty sure they won't be getting a week booking. Actually its worse than that - if someone books sat to mon you might lose two weeks.
But in my experience by mid December you'll find loads of hoteliers will be much more flexible - they'll have seen that they have a clutch of rooms left and are unlikely to sell them all.
Don't stress - it will be fine
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I'm sorting a short break for around 6 people - so 2 twin rooms. 
Er, 2 triple rooms surely Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, don't call me Shirley.

Nope; we are not teenagers Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Badbobby, 2 x twins will only sleep 4 people - do you mean 2 x triples or 3 x twins ?
ski holidays
Ah - I see your point. 3 twins.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy