Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mission to find a lost ski - part one

Poster: A snowHead
Back in beginning of Feb when skiing with KenX off piste I was taken out by a slide and pinned against a tree, and lost a ski.

At the time I did not realise the extent of the slide and was looking more around me and not towards the bottom of the slide, and at the time, probably due to shock / adrenalin I failed to mark my GPS location.

Later in the season KenX and I skied the area in a hope to pinpoint the location. We narrowed it down, well so we thought.

So fast forward to today and me and the OH went looking for it, though have to say it was the OH who was more up for it than me, as I was going to wait for the lifts to open in the summer and then take my bike up, then ride down and stash it in the vicinity and then go looking for it.

OH wanted to run up from Monetier and I tried to ride. Anyone that knows the Tabuc run in Monetier will know how steep it is in sections between the flats, plus I'd already ridden the Col de Granon this morning so I was well fecked.

Prior to the last steep section (where the netting is) I stashed and locked my bike and we continued on foot.

We must have spent nigh on a couple of hours climbing / traversing the area, it really did feel like hunting for a needle in a haystack, every now and again I get quite excited as the terrain looked familiar but alas no luck.

However we did find two skis, one was well off piste in the same area, and the other was just by the side of the Tabuc piste.

I'm going to give it another go when the lifts open as my legs will be fresher and I'll spend longer up there, and take my poles with me as the slope was really steep in places.

There were a couple of areas still with a lot of snow (avy debris) so hopefully that will have melted and might yet reveal my ski.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went up on a similar mission a couple of summers ago at Niseko. A SH had lost a ski and he was even able to give me a gps point.

Impossible to find the ski though. We hacked around the bamboo for quite a while, with no luck! Like you, we found a couple of other skis (and a Contour helmet cam!) but not the one we wanted!

Good luck with the second attempt!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good luck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So what do you do with the single skis you found?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@abc, left them in situ but made them stick out more - just that there's no real protocol as it were for where to take lost gear, so maybe people would be doing the same, but I doubt it as I think both were rental skis.

OH also reminded me that as well as finding these two, there was the ski that KenX found when we looking mine initially, and that's how I managed to ski down!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder how many lost ski's there are in the Alps....

And poles... gloves...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know climbers who enjoy a search along the base of the Ben Nevis cliffs around this time of year. They find lots of climbing kit that have been dropped or fallen off during the season. There is even a name for it; 'SWAG'. snowHead

Anyone looking for a pair of skis and is not too fussy that they match, could be onto a cheap thing. Shocked

On an average day at Yad Moss someone hands in at least one set of car keys, a phone or a hat found on the snow. Its quite common for someone to be waiting at the end of the day for a breakdown truck or partner to arrive with a key having dropped theirs somewhere during the day.

The ground below chairlifts must be littered with dropped phones come the Spring !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Keep up an average of two skis a day and you could scrape something of a living out of keeping fit like that.

Sure beats collecting golf balls which is all you're likely to find round here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We found an iPhone in the melting snow in Flachau (as we were walking across a field!). Battery was flat so we charged it up, worked ok but not great, and we were restricted by the lock code. Managed to find out whose the phone was, emailed them and facebook messaged them - no reply.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite wrote:
We found an iPhone in the melting snow in Flachau (as we were walking across a field!). Battery was flat so we charged it up, worked ok but not great, and we were restricted by the lock code. Managed to find out whose the phone was, emailed them and facebook messaged them - no reply.

There's hope then! My son dropped his iphone in January - it fell out of his pocket when he crashed and did a forwards roll. We could see where it was from 'find my iphone'; I dug around for quite a while to no avail as it was around a tree trunk so it probably fell down quite deep. I marked the GPS location on my Suunto watch, so will go and have a look when I'm up there in the summer. My guess is that with the melting snow it's a gonner though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If anyone finds a black Scott Pole off the piste below Stand in Engelberg, it's mine! But don't worry about returning it... Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Themasterpiece, if it's a newer iPhone they're waterproof to a degree now anyway so you might be in luck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
I wonder how many lost ski's there are in the Alps....

And poles... gloves...

Have a walk round the higher slopes in the summer and you see the farmers electric fences are propped up by myriads of ski poles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite, Did similar, but was a Dutch phone, totally locked, no way to trace.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
@hammerite, Did similar, but was a Dutch phone, totally locked, no way to trace.

I think our owner had been enjoying apres over at the Dampfkessel, it was in a field between there and the apartment we were staying in.
latest report
@hammerite, ....in the slop at Christmas, having just exited the cr**py off piste and joined the run the cabane du Bois, Alex suddenly stopped and side stepped back up the slope. Reached down and pulled a new Samsung out of the clag. Locked. So on a round, we drop into the bottom station and hand through the caisse to a nice woman we know ... at that point, it rings, and the owner' father is suddenly a mighty happy man...
snow conditions
Back in mid March Sunshine village. -- goats eye ,my son face planted into a tree , exited the trees minus helmet mounted GoPro -2 hours of searching but to no avail !!

Sad
snow report
@Kimh, ...grief thank goodness he didn't have the same fate as Lipstick.
latest report
@Kimh, ...grief thank goodness he didn't have the same fate as Lipstick:.....

http://idahostatejournal.com/outdoors/xtreme_idaho/jackson-hole-ski-instructor-impales-face-on-branch/article_7d6473cc-1d91-5ffc-8613-7f954816aa6b.html
snow report
I dropped my Galaxy S7 Edge off the back-side of the viewing platform at the top of Engelberg Titlis in April. It shot off at great speed down a couloir and probably dropped approx. 600m onto the glacier below. Later I accessed "find my phone" via my Google account on a computer and confirmed it was still working and connected to the internet...! Must have been well protected by the Otterbox, and it's waterproof. Unfortunately zero chance of retrieving it so I performed a remote factory reset. If i'd been in the area longer I might have considered finding a way to ski off the back-side or tour up the next valley to look for it.
snow conditions
musehead wrote:
I dropped my Galaxy S7 Edge off the back-side of the viewing platform at the top of Engelberg Titlis in April. It shot off at great speed down a couloir and probably dropped approx. 600m onto the glacier below. Later I accessed "find my phone" via my Google account on a computer and confirmed it was still working and connected to the internet...! Must have been well protected by the Otterbox, and it's waterproof. Unfortunately zero chance of retrieving it so I performed a remote factory reset. If i'd been in the area longer I might have considered finding a way to ski off the back-side or tour up the next valley to look for it.

How long before they make smartphones with droning home return capabilities!?
snow report
Aren't there those little sticky GPS things for not losing keys etc now?
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
Aren't there those little sticky GPS things for not losing keys etc now?

Don't think it's GPS based. I think they're RFID. Not sure if they have a finite battery life though.
ski holidays
http://mybunjee.com/shop/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy