Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning for next season Shocked

Any recommendations, which village is good to stay in, accommodation Chalet (would imagine rare) or hotels, looking at January 2018
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar, Although I've not used them myself I've heard good things about Collets who have ski chalets on the Sella Ronda (I think near Corvara, Alta Badia and Arabba areas).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've stayed in a chalet with Inghams in Arabba. I'm not sure they offer chalets there any more though. Ski Total offered them too they're practically the same company.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have skied that general area a fair bit and liked to stay in Arabba and found the hotel Malita to be very well situated. [We also enjoyed the wellness suite after skiing.]

It gives easy access to both clockwise and anticlockwise starts on the Sella Ronda plus the Marmolada.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stayed with Colletts twice in Arabba in their hosted apartments. They deliver breakfast that you order the night before and have a permanent table at a local restaurant for dinner. Worked quite well with your own space plus mixing with others for dinner.

Arabba is right on the Sella Ronda so perfect for that but v limited apres/night life and little other than a few bars/places to eat/ski shops. Closest resort to the Marmolada. Great for skiing not so much for anything else.

Also stayed in Corvara a few miles away also on the SR. Hotel Greif, big rooms, decent restaurant, swimming pool/ sauna etc, 5 min trip in hotel minibuses to lifts. Much more going on there with shops, cafes etc. A pleasant place to stay and walk around when not skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, @snowfaller, thanks for the Colletts recommendation

@TQA, Had a quick look at the Malita, looks nice, what did you do for transfers?

@hammerite, both do Selva one focusing on hotels the other has a Chalet
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Colletts:

I/we have stayed with Colletts in Pedraces/Alta Badia a few times. It's not directly on the Sella Ronda but only a short ski from Santa Croce or even shorter courtesy bus ride from Haus Valentin to La Villa. The chalets in Corvara would provide easier/quicker access to the Sella Ronda.

Colletts are not the cheapest but are probably the best of the chalet operators I have used over the past 30 years.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
radar wrote:
@Alastair Pink, @snowfaller, thanks for the Colletts recommendation

You're welcome

radar wrote:
Had a quick look at the Malita, looks nice, what did you do for transfers?

Well if you're looking at staying in an Arabba hotel then there's a good value transfer bus service from Venice Airports (Marco Polo and Treviso) which I think runs at weekends only. It used to be run by Dolomitistars, but following some dispute for the last 2 years the Arabba Fodom Tourist Office have run their own service. Looking at the Dolomitistars website however it still seems to mention them serving Arabba also, I don't know if this is the case, but rest assured there will be an airport transfer service run by one or other of these organisations (or possibly both?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crystal do chalets in Canazei..a friend went this season and enjoyed it.. I like Campetello straight on the Sella rohnda and ski bus through the town ... but its not ski in /out if ..you want that Selva or Corvara..depends on your budget and requirements..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Selva was good for us when we went a few years ago. Stayed at the Aritz which is just opposite the main gondola. At the time Neilson and Inghams went there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
radar wrote:
@Alastair Pink, @snowfaller,

@TQA, Had a quick look at the Malita, looks nice, what did you do for transfers?

@hammerite,

We always rented a car but there is a transfer service which runs at the weekends. Best to contact the local tourist office in Arabba for details.

http://www.arabba.it/en/information/where-we-are/6-0.html#Autobus

NB In the past I have found the tourist office to be very helpful and competent especially on finding beds for the night when the resort is nearly full.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Selva March this year .
We stayed here http://www.residencehotelantares.it/en/residence-antares
They have Apartments and Hotel rooms and around 200 metres to the main lift.We stayed in a 6 person deluxe apartment with only 4 of us for £200 each for 5 nights .It was excellent valve for money and you didnt have to book Sat-Sat

we hired skis here http://www.alainskirental.com/
Directly opposite the lift ,so left our skis/boots every night
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
radar wrote:
Planning for next season Shocked
Any recommendations, which village is good to stay in, accommodation Chalet (would imagine rare) or hotels, looking at January 2018

Never too early to plan Toofy Grin

More details needed perhaps - what is important (ski, apres, food, comfort, wellness, ease of access, price ...)?
Where have you been before, what mix of people (eg family or all adult), what levels of skier?

We stayed in San Cassiano this year with family, used the Mountainsun place (Albergo Frohsinn) - excellent ski in ski out location, chalet hotel style but more basic on the food and extras than many of the local hotels for example. Great location for cruisy blues, whereas somewhere like Arabba is much better for reds and the odd black plus access to glacier (Marmolada).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, think I have enough as a basis for some research, will have a look at Mountainsun
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have always stayed in Selva, last twice in the Hotel Flora. Comfortable, good food and opposite the ski bus stop. And you can ski pretty much to the back door.
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
We have always stayed in Selva, last twice in the Hotel Flora. Comfortable, good food and opposite the ski bus stop. And you can ski pretty much to the back door.

Agree re your comments on the Flora, but skiing pretty much to the back door? Which slope is this on? nearest slope I can think of would be the Nives nursery slope, which is hardly near the back door?? Otherwise your looking at the slopes ending at Ciamponi lift station or across the rd; which again are hardly nearby the Flora??
snow report
I stayed in Corvara this season. It was only my second skiing trip to the Dolomites, however the first one was forty years ago.

I knew from a summer walking holiday about eight years ago that there had been a massive investment in infrastructure which was still continuing at the time. I think they have done an amazing job in developing the area without losing the character of the villages. Most of the development I saw had been carried out in traditional style. Even the large mountain restauraunts which have been opened to cope with larger numbers of people I felt were constructed in a reasonably sympathetic style, not to mention the excellent value compared to elsewhere.

The skiing infrastructure is superb. There are lots of modern lifts and snow making equipment on most of the pistes I saw. Although the Dolomites have a reputation as being a bit low lying, a lot of the reds and blues, which are usually steep enough to make them interesting, run from top to bottom of the mountain, therefore giving a decent run each time. They are also wide and well maintained and end well below the treeline making them scenic as well.

I was obviously impressed.
ski holidays
There is a track from bottom of slope below Dantercepies. Stops 30 m from hotel.
latest report
Not sure what budget you are aiming at but I looked at booking directly with Garni Bellavista in Arabba for the same period. Slightly unusual in that you eat breakfast there but for half board deals you get evening meal, use of ski deposit and Wellness area at Hotel Portavescovo via a sister hotel agreement. Seemed better to pay 65 euros per night for that than 85 for the same package at Hotel Portavescovo, though the hotel is closer to slopes. Inghams go to both so a sprinkling of Brits I imagine and decent reviews. As stated by earlier comments transfers from main airports fairly simple and Venice has numerous uk flights. Almost selling it to myself again, though I ended up booking somewhere else in the end!
snow conditions
@toyah807, The Snowheads Birthday Bash uses both hotels with that arrangement with people base in both hotels. Has worked well for a number of years.
snow report
Arabba for steep pistes & keen skiers, early nights and early mornings.
Selva for a bit more of an apres scene.
Corvara/Colfosco/La Villa/S Cassiano for access the easiest skiing in the area.
Canazei/Campitello/Val di Fassa for best value access to the Sella Ronda.

None are bad choices, but it is busier and very developed around the Sella Ronda. There are other quieter and similarly beautiful areas in the Dolomites.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy