Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wolffepack - a chairlift safe ruckpack, or not?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just seen this advertised http://www.wolffepack.com/
Interesting that it has a mechanism to swing the pack to the front in a (seemingly) controlled, (seemingly) easy way. One of the things they are marketing it for is skiing.
My first impression was that it might be quite good for chairlifts where you should normally remove a ruckpack. My second impression was that actually the three cables that enable the swingy thing might actually be more dangerous if they got tangled in the chairlift.
Anyone else seen it, or got an opinion?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No waist & sternum strap so pretty useless for skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This

http://www.decathlon.fr/reverse-one-300-blue-id_8343133.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They've now added a snowsport-specific one:
http://www.wolffepack.com/products/summit
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a couple of thé Décathlon ones years ago. Never really got on with them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, we've succumbed and our Wolffepack is now here. Sadly arrived too late for us to take on last trip, so it'll be March before it gets a road (or should that be mountain?) test. First impressions are good, though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claude B wrote:
I bought a couple of thé Décathlon ones years ago. Never really got on with them.

Well you are only supposed to wear one at a time rolling eyes

To be honest I have one and I don't really think it helps a great deal. My son reckons it does though, but then he is far more able to cope with new technology than an old f@@t like me, or so he says. Laughing

Col d'Ornon next Wednesday ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skitow, 😃 One each for daughter and me, too much faff.

Yes could do haven't made it yet. You've got my number, not changed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wolfepack? That's a straight red No... I think I'd rather go round again...

http://youtube.com/v/fdMxRG9Jol0
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @sj1608, wondering how you got on with your Wolffepack ? I was using a traditional rucksack and didn't remove it on some chairs which in hindsight was silly (realised quite quickly once on the chair I was an idiot Smile ) so this bag is of interest to me.

@Tubaski, yeah was wondering about those cables getting caught too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have one of the ski version Woolfepacks and find it works well. It has both a chest and waist strap too.
Quite a useful small compartment on the top for sunglasses, phone etc which is easy to get at and avoids all that rummaging around looking for the phone which stops ringing the moment you get to it
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
No waist & sternum strap so pretty useless for skiing.
As per update, apparently it does have those.

Some packs definitely need one or the other or both of those straps, but recently I've been surprised to ride with a shovel pack which came with neither. I thought (like your 2016 post) that this would not work, but it works fine. My point: I will no longer write off packs without those straps until I've tried them. The chances are they're garbage, but if they're designed for the job then maybe not.

On the original thing, I'm skeptical of something which appears more complicated than it needs to be. I can imagine all sorts of things going wrong. It's trivial to swing a pack around if you need to, or ride with something thin enough not to need it (the lifties may make you take it off it anyway).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Nickbrad, how do you find the getting on and off when in a queue on skis? Also, were the cables that wrap around you an issue at all?

It looks super easy on their videos but have seen conflicting reviews although these were for the commuter style bag.

@philwig, hadn't thought about still having to remove it anyway. That's a good point.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@djf, sorry for the delay in responding, we only made it back yesterday! The first day or so with the Wolffepack wasn't 100% successful, mainly because other half (who was the one wearing it) was being too gentle with it. It needs a firm pull or the mechanism doesn't click in properly ready to click it back onto your back. Plus you need to adjust the straps to fit you. After that it was brilliant, really easy.

I've just asked 'if it disappeared would you replace it?' and got a resounding 'yes'.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sj1608, thanks for the info that's really great to hear.

I think that last line sums it up for me. If you pay that much for a bag and decided that you'd replace it if it was gone then that has to be a a great recommendation.

ok sold, djf has a new toy on the horizon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@djf, it is a greater recommendation than you realise! Other half would usually say £30 was an excessive price for a rucksack........ Toofy Grin
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Hello djf,
No problem at all in using it in the queue. I usually wait till I am near the gates before activating it but it's so quick, you can even do it after going through the gate, as you ski up to the chair.
ThE cables are not a problem and I suppose the thickness of ski clothing might mask them too. I don't even notice them now
This is my second Woolffe pack as the first one developed an intermittent fault in the release system but the manufacturers replaced it once they saw what was wrong.
snow conditions
I'm a bit sceptical - I never remove my rucksack to get on a chairlift, and I've never had any problems in twenty years of skiing. In the old days, I'd agree that there was a potential problem with slatted seats, where clips etc could get caught in-between the slats, but I've not been anywhere in recent years where these are still used. Also, I note that there's no front strap, so doesn't it bounce-around if you're on uneven surfaces, moguls etc? However, it does look neat. Have you had problems with using a rucksack that meant you went for this one?
snow report
@LaForet, there are both waist and sternum straps - they have just introduced a wintersports-specific model with both. There are still several lifts with slatted seats where we are, and it's a pain to remove a rucksack every time.

I've also discovered that there are far fewer complaints from my other half when I ask for things out of the rucksack now than there were before when he had to undo two straps, take off the rucksack, delve for whatever I wanted, then reverse the process........ wink
snow report
Just had an email through offering 30% off all their bags until midnight Monday 29th May, using code AWARD30.
snow conditions
sj1608 wrote:
@LaForet, there are both waist and sternum straps - they have just introduced a wintersports-specific model with both. There are still several lifts with slatted seats where we are, and it's a pain to remove a rucksack every time.

I've also discovered that there are far fewer complaints from my other half when I ask for things out of the rucksack now than there were before when he had to undo two straps, take off the rucksack, delve for whatever I wanted, then reverse the process........ wink

It looks as though this Wolfepack uses a similar mechanism to the Decathlon bags are someone mentioned above.

I have a Decathlon one and thought I'd just give you a note of caution about using them on slatted seats - I actually used the bag as intended, switched around to the front etc, but the mechanism to allow it to swing around to the front (i.e. basically the removable clip) actually got caught inside the slats on a chairlift in Cervinia - only spotted as we approached the top, and I got very worried! Just managed to get it released in time, but lost both my gloves in the process / wild panic!

Edit: it was actually the front clip on the waist strap (which is then at the back on the Decathlon model, when spun around) which got caught - not sure if this would have the same problem or not, but wanted to share.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 23-05-17 12:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Still struggle with this, if the bag has a waist strap and a chest strap, and two shoulder straps, you do them all up and get on the lift. What is there to get caught?

All the incidents of bags getting caught on lifts have been because people removed bags and clips were able to dangle through slats holes or other fittings. I can see why the lifties want them off, if it gets stuck you just have a bag going round the system, but if you don't undo any clips how do they get caught?
snow conditions
@Digger the dinosaur, quite. Take the thing off and there are straps and buckles hanging off all over the place, far more likely to get caught up than when all neatly done up on my back. I can't remember the last time I was asked to remove it.
ski holidays
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
Still struggle with this, if the bag has a waist strap and a chest strap, and two shoulder straps, you do them all up and get on the lift. What is there to get caught?

All the incidents of bags getting caught on lifts have been because people removed bags and clips were able to dangle through slats holes or other fittings. I can see why the lifties want them off, if it gets stuck you just have a bag going round the system, but if you don't undo any clips how do they get caught?

Absolutely, I don't do anything with my backpack now, since the story above happened. When everything is tight and strapped in, there shouldn't (fingers crossed) be any problems.

Instead, the "switch to the front" functionality instead becomes simply useful for when you want to grab your bottle of water from your bag without taking off your gloves.
ski holidays
I've ordered one now, I also had an email from them and along with the nudge from @sj1608 so I couldn't resist.

Thanks @Kingofthec, definitely look at that when it arrives.
ski holidays
@djf, don't blame me! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hahahahaha alas, too late, she knows it's all your fault
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy