Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Boots v Normal ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
My old boots are nearing the end of their days and a friend of mine suggested I buy Touring Boots as a replacement.
I tend to ski mainly on piste, with a little bit of off piste and have never been Ski Touring. However, he says that Touring Boots these days are absolutely fine for piste skiing and 'like slippers' compared to normal boots, which will make walking around the resorts and enjoying Apres that much more comfortable.

I realise they are more expensive but if my friend's advice is correct, I think it is worth the extra price. Does anyone agree or disagree with his advice?

Many Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Touring" or "Freeride"?

This is one of those interesting industry changes which actually are real differences, not just marketing puff.

Many (most?) manufacturers now have introduced "Freeride" boots which generally aren't as light as full on touring boots, but intended rather more for short climbs to access off piste, and which perform on piste almost if not as well as "piste" boots. Full on "touring" boots are still somewhat softer than stiff piste boots.

Comfort is of course a different factor - I believe they are typically made with wider lasts than, say, race boots, but many non-race piste boots are wider lasted as well. Like slippers almost certainly means he's just bought new boots that are too big...(or, indeed, properly fitted).

So, if you have never and don't intend to tour, then a well fitted, maybe wider lasted, maybe softer piste boot is what you really want. And significantly cheaper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, thanks for the quick response and expert info. He says 'Touring' but I guess might mean 'Freeride.'
He's quite an experienced skier so I would normally trust his judgement but I would love him to be wrong about something almost as much as I would love 'slipper-like' ski boots, so it's win-win for me either way!

I guess I need to try a few out and ask for 'wider-lasted' ski boots to see how they compare.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EdYarker, I am no expert Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EdYarker, actually, no you need to establish a good fitter (many recs on here) and ask for new boots. The fitter should take care of the rest...

f'r instance, I have school girl like ankles. So I need a narrow lasted boot to keep them snug. But I have quite wide feet otherwise.

So a narrow lasted boot blown out at the required points to make them confortable.

You can almost always make an over-small boot bigger, you can rarely make an over-large boot smaller...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with the man above. I bought a pair of Salomon Quest Pro as I wanted to try a tech binding. They have a flex of 110 against my four clip piste Salomon with 100.

I really struggled to get on with them, they have less forward lean, feel softer and didn't keep my weight where I wanted it. A chat with a fellow snowHead caused me to persevere and adjust my technique to the boots, to the extent I now prefer their advantages, but, despite being a larger boot, they give me a pain in the forefoot after 4 to 5 hours. My piste boots are more comfy.

Advantages are the much lighter weight, walk mode and the Vibram sole. I do use them with a tech binding, but prefer them in the Marker Barons - which reminds me, Vibram soles are incompatible with alpine bindings, so you need to swap those as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Val Desire, you can have Vibram soles retrofitted to your alpines if you the right chap.

I have Vibram on my race boots wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, I'm told that would interfere with the release function. Is that not so? You can still have normal release with Vibram sole?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc, doesn't interfere with mine...

Mind you, I don't live in a litigious society...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, litigious or not, did it release when you expect it to?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, yeah, always. Doesn't have to very often tho' (I am light on my feet).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried on a bunch of touring boots the other day. Some like the Fischer transalp felt very comfy, but way too soft (and my current alpine boots are 'only' 100 flex). As mentioned, you need to check if your bindings are compatible with touring boots, read http://culture.evo.com/2016/09/2017-ski-trends-sole-searching/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tried the Quest Pro in 110 too, but found them too soft for my prefered style (now selling them almost as new for £150 size 26.5). So I then bought the Quest Max in 130 flex, still softer than my piste boots but great for couple of an hour tours, off piste, on piste etc, love them unless I'm on SL or GS skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
@under a new name, I'm told that would interfere with the release function. Is that not so? You can still have normal release with Vibram sole?

I installed a cut down spare sole plate onto my vibram souled touring boots so that they would release on a non sliding alpine AFD (I know there is a large gap in the pic, I don't ski like that).

Still going strong years later Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarpa, you've just opened another can of worms...

I seem to vaguely recall (don't remember where from) some AT boots are designed with interchangeable soles, one to fit alpine binding and allow for release, the other to fit tech bindings and more suitable for touring?
snow report
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_boot#Alpine_Touring_.2F_Randonn.C3.A9e
snow report
Quote:

some AT boots are designed with interchangeable soles, one to fit alpine binding and allow for release, the other to fit tech bindings and more suitable for touring?

Black Diamond Factor MX boots come with both sets of soles - great for wearing out and replacing - alpine soles pristine ;o)

The MX's are sooooo comfortable to wear but when taking them off they pinch the bridge massively - ouch.

AT boots for AT bindings. Alpine boots for alpine bindings unless you have a Scarpa-driven penchant for Borg-soles snowHead
snow report
@Grinning, my boots have had everyting replaced other than the shells and are ground down race soles to take vibram.

Pretty cool I must say.

Shells good after 360 days, vibram and liners (second set) maybe a liitle tired.
snow report
[quote="Grinning"]
Quote:
AT boots for AT bindings. Alpine boots for alpine bindings unless you have a Scarpa-driven penchant for Borg-soles snowHead

Wrong.

There are now a number of alpine bindings that are designed and approved to accept either full AT soles, WTR soles or GripWalk soles in addition to alpine soles.

abc, pretty much every boot maker now offers models with interchangeable toe and heel lugs to allow switching between alpine and the various types of touring binding.
snow conditions
Quote:

abc, pretty much every boot maker now offers models with interchangeable toe and heel lugs to allow switching between alpine and the various types of touring binding.

@spyderjon, do those toe/heel lugs typically fit all existing regular alpine bindings? Or just the newer frame bindings?
latest report
Quote:

Wrong.

There are now a number of alpine bindings that are designed and approved to accept either full AT soles, WTR soles or GripWalk soles in addition to alpine soles.

"a number" but by no means all - most brands and models of alpine bindings cannot reliably accept AT boots and I am sure you are not suggesting otherwise. People cannot step into "any" alpine bindings with AT boots and expect a reliable and safe experience or vice versa (i'd love to see the Alpine boots stepping into an AT binding but you see what I mean?). They must step into a "very selected few" alpine bindings - hence a safer adage of AT in AT (except for a selected few alpine bindings) and Alpine in Alpine (period). It doesn't roll off the tongue so let's leave it there.
ski holidays
Quote:

I installed a cut down spare sole plate onto my vibram souled touring boots

Neat! Leading/front edge slots under vibram toe?
snow report
[quote="abc"]
Quote:
@spyderjon, do those toe/heel lugs typically fit all existing regular alpine bindings? Or just the newer frame bindings?

Yes, alpine lugs will fit alpine bindings.
snow report
Thanks very much, @spyderjon
snow conditions
@Grinning, I did do some precision cutting to get a tight mating. They have proved solid. My new freeride style boots have interchangable soles, but the Dynafit Ones were my first foray into touring boots and have been used on a couple of Tracker frame bindings on my fatter skis.

I do fancy getting some nice light tech bindings though in the future, but the frames have given me half a decade of all round skiing with no problems.
snow report
@EdYarker, http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Salomon-Quest-Pro-120-Ski-Boots-2017-32729.html#SID=8746

if a solomon boot fits your foot , these are a great bargain , I've had them all season and they are a great all-round boot that work for every where , good walk mode , very comfortable , stable on the down , theres also a 100 flex if you want something softer !!!
snow report
Grinning wrote:
Quote:

Wrong.

"a number" but by no means all - most brands and models of alpine bindings cannot reliably accept AT boots and I am sure you are not suggesting otherwise. People cannot step into "any" alpine bindings with AT boots and expect a reliable and safe experience or vice versa (i'd love to see the Alpine boots stepping into an AT binding but you see what I mean?). They must step into a "very selected few" alpine bindings - hence a safer adage of AT in AT (except for a selected few alpine bindings) and Alpine in Alpine (period). It doesn't roll off the tongue so let's leave it there.

Grinning, I never said "any", I clearly said a "number" of alpine bindings accept other sole types rolling eyes

The context of this thread, as with other recent posts/questions from abc on another thread, was that the OP (& abc) are considering changing to an AT style of boot and the question arose as to what bindings they are compatible with.

These new 'multi norm' alpine bindings have only come to the market in the last few seasons but will become much more common (especially with the new GripWalk sole which is out next season) as the benefits of having a non slip sole possibly with a walk mode start to become obvious to the masses.

What this will mean though is that for a few years there's going to loads of question along the lines of "will my 'x' boot work with 'y' binding?" And the old adage of AT soles only in AT bindings will no longer apply so the answer to that question is that the binding must first be compatible with the specific sole type and secondly, it must be correct adjusted to the users boot.
ski holidays
Thanks @Dabber, they do look good. I need to find a shop to try one on before heading back to this site to buy 1/2 price. Feel a bit guilty but needs must!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, where u based ?? Sail and ski are in Chester and will actually have them in store as well , but
Most of the big stores should stock them , just depends on your size
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy