Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with convenient NURSERY SLOPES!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@susan72, perfect for you:

http://albiez.fr/?lang=en
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bodeswell wrote:
This obsession with altitude. The OP wanted sunshine! It's January, you could go high, or to a Glacier and never see the light of day. I've skied in/out in Wengen during late March. You can always ski in/out in Jan with the snow making. It was hardly a freak dump, just bad timing. Over 2 weeks it will be fine. We'll just have to disagree, it's no big deal.

In early January you need your slopes to be out of the valley in order for them to be sunny, you might not need glaciers but you don't want the slopes that you are skiing to be too close to the valley. It's a while since I skied Wengen but at New Year how long are the village nursery slopes in the sun for? My memory of going there which was at New Year was that the village didn't keep its sun for too long and not when I returned at the end of the day but I may be wrong as it was a while back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TBar - have been sitting on sofa still googling and making notes and we are beginning to reach the same opinion as you! wink Oberlech was brilliant and our hotel (The Burg) great - fab food, ski hire in the hotel and ski back to the hotel bar....
Thinking we will definitely do a week back there - so need to find somewhere for the second week (going first 2 weeks of Jan - flights booked, and flying out of Zurich back to Sydney, but we can fly in anywhere as only booked outward flight to UK).
Does anyone know if the ski school down in Lech is better than Oberlech? (My girls will be 6 and 10, 10 yr old has no fear and sporty, 6 yr old is timid).
Second resort options now are - Obergurgl, Arosa, Klosters, Alpach as they are close to Oberlech. Does anyone know if we are up the slopes can we ski back down to the nursery slopes easily... finding it difficult to find information (Klosters sounds like you have to get Gondola up and down to village where the nursery slope is?? ) THANK you so much to everyone for all the advice - what a great website and knowledgeable skiers! Lets hope for a great season of skiing when it comes (I can't change my flights now! - Hence why nice hotel is needed too in case no snow!) Laughing
@J9 - thanks for hotel advice - Portetta looks gorgeous but decided too far from Lech. Next time.... Razz

(ps what does OP mean - I know its me - but racking my brain to work out what it stands for??)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@susan72, original poster snowHead

@T Bar, That's the point I'm making. Altitude means nothing without considering aspect, orientation, latitude, longitude. High could be peasoup for days on end, or nowhere to ski in the trees when it snows. Low or high and north facing could be dark all day. South could be prone to afternoon thaw. East at 900m is probably the same 1400 in Western Alps. So careful research will always be needed but generally go somewhere with options. Wengen is not in a valley though, it's on a western facing shelf and afternoons are sunny when the clouds allow.

Sounds like you've found some good options anyway, can't go wrong with Lech/Oberlech.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bodeswell, Fair enough.
@susan72, Of the resort's you list I have only been to Klosters, there are two main areas from there and I don't think the nursery slopes are particularly close to the main cable car, though I am not certain, personally it would not be my top choice for meeting up with near beginners.
If you are wanting somewhere closer to Lech and Zurich that has a good reputation for near beginners Serfaus has an excellent reputation though I haven't been myself but it might be worth investigating.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy