Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, how fast does it go, mister .....?

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of fun ...... while it's nice to talk about pukka technique, what we all really want to know is what's on the clock ...... lol.

Yeah, we're all aware some of these apps can be a bit, well 'optimistic', but apart from the odd 'flash' reading, what are you really hitting?

So, mister (or missus) .....?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes its true, I hit 72mph! (based on Trace app but was abit iffy that day)

But the more realistic speed was 57mph (again based on Trace app but was working 'properly' that day)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have hit over 100kmh on several occasions. Skiers with me had similar recordings on two of those occasions.

Consequently, I don't use Ski Tracks type apps anymore. Too much pressure to push on for a PB!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go and watch a properly controlled race on a speed course.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig, watched a race at sun peaks...great fun. I skied the course a few days before, probably the steepest slope I have skied over a distance. Respect to those guys
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mmm, that's a "short course" - they don't have the length, but it gives you the idea of how steep and how fast the sport is.
I've never, ever seen anyone at remotely serious speed on an open public piste and I hope I never do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philwig, +1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That said, I now observe many, many people outside their control envelopes... rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a local slope that has a steep black short section that opens out onto over half a k of straight flat piste, you can see that there is no one in front of you. The racers have their training piste next to it, should see them tuck and straightline it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do modern rocker type boards have a speed limit? Lots of skis will start to get speed wobble if you really schuss on them. My experience on my rockered board tells me I wouldn't really want to pin it. An old school Salomon Fastback or a Prior used to be OK in very controlled circumstances.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Do modern rocker type boards have a speed limit? Lots of skis will start to get speed wobble if you really schuss on them. My experience on my rockered board tells me I wouldn't really want to pin it. An old school Salomon Fastback or a Prior used to be OK in very controlled circumstances.

On piste my rocker board starts to feel very nervous at 30mph, but it is a joy off piste at speed.

For piste hooning, nothing beats a stiff cambered board.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're going speed trialling a rocker's not the best choice, yes they get squirelly at fairly low speed. The trick is not to try to fight it, just let it do the hokey cokey, lest it spits you off.

A trad cambered board is much more stable at speed, for obvious reasons ......
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rode through a proper speed-gun in St Anton once, I clocked 77kph.

That's after about 150m of mellow blue run, from a standing start. On that basis, I reckon 100kph+ is pretty easy. The snowboard speed record is over 200kph!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

That's after about 150m of mellow blue run, from a standing start. On that basis, I reckon 100kph+ is pretty easy. The snowboard speed record is over 200kph!

I had no idea there was speed snowboarding, just watched the Edmond Plawczyk run
http://youtube.com/v/biqdHruCD-s&app=desktop

Also linked me to this, ugh
http://youtube.com/v/dHiUWwggtbU
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and this- what the hell???!!!!

http://youtube.com/v/WpAKB75c0xU
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
I reckon 100kph+ is pretty easy.!

Lol ....
ski holidays
Quote:

stevomcd wrote:
I reckon 100kph+ is pretty easy.!

Lol ....

OK, I'll re-phrase that - I reckon cracking 100kph is pretty doable.
ski holidays
It is pretty easy if you are an experienced skier on stiffish skis. Those speed gun runs are not the most accurately calibrated but are way above the apps. I'm fairly light and usually manage in the high 60's and it feels fairly slow compared with bombing it on steeper slopes.
snow report
@Scarpa, I think they're talking about snowboarding
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
If you're going speed trialling a rocker's not the best choice, yes they get squirelly at fairly low speed. ... A trad cambered board is much more stable at speed, for obvious reasons ......

Speed boards are what you'd expect - like bigger GS boards with zero turn ability and great tracking/ damping ability.

I think the issue is really the other way around - those trick boards are so unstable at speed that you think you're doing Mach 2 but you still get passed by grannies on skis.

If you can still stand up, and you're not steering with your fingers, then you're nowhere near.
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
Rode through a proper speed-gun in St Anton once, I clocked 77kph.

You might be surprised at how difficult it is. In our village we have a fixed speed camera at the botttom of a very steep pitch on the Lauberhorn World Cup downhill run - it's way more accurate than an app on a phone. In 2013 a French racer called Johan Clary managed 161.9kmh down this hill - that's carrying speed from the upper part of the course and wearing a cat suit and DH skis.

The speed camera stays put all season so of course we all have a go, and I can tell you that skiers using recreational equipment and clothing have a really hard time breaking 100kph from a standing start at the top of the hill. A mate of mine managed 88kph on snowblades mind - but he's a big guy!
latest report
I think @stevomcd is talking about snowboarding, no?

It's not hard to hit over 100km on skis but I would have imagined on a snowboard it's completely different? I don't snowboard so I know nothing, but am I right to assume you need one of those stiff longboard things? What is Edmond Plawczk on?
ski holidays
@philwig, what is a speed board, is it exactly what it sounds like?

You know the radius for speed skis is almost 100m? That's something I can't get my head around
latest report
Well if anyone is feeling bored over the summer and finds themselves in a fridge, the current indoor snowboard speed record is 69.4kph - just remember to put the brakes on in time or they'll be peeling you off the back wall with a spatula.
snow report
Just to put things into perspective, I seriously went for the Womens DH course in Val d'Isere this season. It was a quite Sat morning, I got the first Funi up and the snow was firm. The pistes were deserted and I went for it on my fastest board.

I did the run in just under 7 minutes. Lara Gut and Lyndsey Vonn are down in around 1 minute 40 Shocked
snow report
@bar shaker, so a touch under 3km in 7 minutes... exactly where did you stop for coffee and pastries? wink
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@bar shaker, so a touch under 3km in 7 minutes... exactly where did you stop for coffee and pastries? wink

Yep, you'd think I'd popped into the Trifollet!

I was having to put control turns in where the girls just tuck and set up a racing line. I was slowing down for crests, where the girls fly for 50m.

I suppose my biggest problem was that you just don't know that you won't come across a rippled section of piste around the corner or over a crest.

The girls also have 5m high crash nets up in front of the trees. Yes... that's my excuse! Laughing
latest report
Quote:

the current indoor snowboard speed record is 69.4kph

How even???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy to do 100kph.

Just point and squat on a steepy.

Plenty of places to do it in bigger resorts, like Verbier.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
OK, I'll re-phrase that - I reckon cracking 100kph is pretty doable.

In the right conditions, certainly,

Even on a 'rocker', as long as you can actually ride one instead of just keep moaning about 'em ....... wink

moseyp wrote:
It's not hard to hit over 100km on skis but I would have imagined on a snowboard it's completely different?

Yes, IME
ski holidays
Damn, I didn't notice this was in the boarding section Embarassed
latest report
Quote:

Even on a 'rocker', as long as you can actually ride one instead of just keep moaning about 'em ....... wink

Think all my boards have some degree of rocker in them these days! Hard to avoid.

Got a wee, bendy full-rocker thing (Amplid Dopamine) which is a total hoot, but you do feel the twitchiness at speed! It's got a cheap and nasty extruded base though, so I doubt it'd do the ton!
ski holidays
stevomcd, I'd very much doubt you get passed by 'grannies' on your rocker .......

...... just referencing the predictable 'rocker' BS that always seems to crop up in any thread lately ....... when in truth you've kinda gotta know what you're about to ride one at a lick ......
ski holidays
I haven't really ridden a lot of rocker boards but I'll stick by my previous experience that my rocker board is a bit squirrelly plus will skip a bit of heel edge under a hard carve. My older full camber boards no such problem. Lucky my latest purchase which I was looking forward to riding at the EOSB until a broken leg thwarted the ambition is a Prior 4wd.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, it's not about the board.... wink
ski holidays
No it's not - and it's not as if I do enough boarding any more to justify extending my quiver but it was in top nick and cheap like a budgie in a charity shop so....
ski holidays
No it's not - and it's not as if I do enough boarding any more to justify extending my quiver but it was in top nick and cheap like a budgie in a charity shop so....
ski holidays
latest report
So, for us mere mortals, a shade over 60, in old money, is gettin' close.

Equipment matters, but it's certainly not everything. Just be careful, out there ......
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
So, for us mere mortals, .....

two planks rather than one, but I had the pleasure of skiing with the Scottish downhill racing team in the States once. You think you are close to the sound barrier and then three kids come blasting past having a chat. You have to check that gravity hasn't decided to ignore you. Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy