Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
Steilhang wrote:
And I have never seen so many fucking hooray henrys in one patch at the same time in my life. Awful.

Sorry about that
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steilhang, bad timing? We queued for the Zammermoos chair this morning, but since then only hit about two that were more than a few chairs long. Yeah, it was busier than Saturday (finding a parking space took more effort, certainly, and lunch was a badly timed bun fight), but there was fresh snow and the sun was out. We had no competition for the north face earlier on, but saw a few parties on Star Wars later. Nice conditions though, some of the best I’ve seen all season. Pistes were busy, I’ll accept that, but a good excuse to get off them if you’re able (I appreciate that may not be possible with a family in tow).

I’ll add a couple of pics to the above tomorrow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, Totally agree that conditions were superb. But speaking as someone who used to drive down to St. A almost every weekend and then have not done so for the last ten years I see a massive negative development. Yes they have invested a huge amount into infrastructure, but the result just appears to be completely (dangerously) overcrowded pistes and off piste that gets skied out within minutes of the lifts opening. They urgently need to sort out whatever problems they have with Steissbachtal (I simply don't buy the avi danger story) because what they have now with Zammermoos is a nightmare.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree Kandahar defines the word "shitshow". We lagged back at Galzig til 4.30 and still saw a bunch of people throwing the towel in and bumsliding it. And Run 4 to Rauz ( or whatever it is numbered now is almost always totally unpleasant. Plus they've done nutty things like take out the upper chair at Stuben.

Plus yesterday's Galzig shutdown showed the paucity of redundancy in the system. Essentially a bunfight to get on Gampen chair or a push n shove for Rendl gondy. They badly need some queue marshalling to a) max out uplift and b) stop idiots just blocking the line. Now if you've decent queue ninja skills you can make your own outside singles line for the gondy and then jump in a cabin that's undercapacity but not if Mrs Bogner-Furryhood and her dimwitted offspring don't ever nudge up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steilhang, I can’t compare to previous years as the only days I’ve had there have been the 3 on my “allowance” this season, but maybe I’ve just spent a lot of time in busy resorts, as to me it was just equivalent. I guess if you’ve experienced a degredation over the years, you might feel differently. I have no understanding or appreciation of the politics going on there, I’m afraid.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps Easter Monday is not the best day to be there? I was there a couple of weekends back and did not see a queue worthy of the name from 09:00 until 15:45 both days. The Zammermoos / Kandahar run whilst a bit busier than normal was not unpleasant. I had been prepared for complete chaos, picking my way between folk collapsed all over the piste but the only place like that was outside Mooser at 6 o'clock Smile. Perhaps it has something to do with English (public?) school holidays, far too many hoorays and their offspring filling up the place much like the reports from half term weeks?

However have to agree that getting the Steissbachtal sorted next season is an absolute necessity, without it the resort really doesnt work for a large proportion of visitors and makes life difficult for everyone else.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, maybe you are right about easter monday. Will see if things are better today. However friends in Serfaus are reporting no queues, so it looks like St.Anton is more crowded. Also, no hoorays in Serfaus, which is a big plus in my books.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Austrians were all out yesterday...Easter Sunday & Monday..normal.

All quiet on Rendl...Rendl Alpe
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We found it very crowded st St Anton yesterday. Previous day in the pow at Sonnenkopf was very quiet. Today at Lech....fingers crossed for quiet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
interesting in reports of the crowds, pics showing a very empty 3Vallees over the weekend from some mates out there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, No crowds where we were, to the contrary - you've just got to know where and when to go/ not go. perfect powder weekend, no complaints at all. Saturday snow not great and too warm but Albona north face pretty good but heavy (as in above photos from Dave)

Post Bus Sunday morning to Zurs 08.50 in heavy snow, only others on it were Ski Instructors going to St Christoph. Bussed it because it was clear that accessing Rauz via lifts would be impossible due to deteriorating and windy conditions, best 7€ I've ever spent. We got first tracks (and only saw 5 other people down Madloch to Zug, knee deep powder and patchy visibility but fantastic skiing), sunny and powder in Lech. Were going to go to Warth but lifty advised against it because lifts were closing and didn't want to get trapped. Played above Oberlech in powder and then back over via Rufikopf and knee deep powder on all runs down to Zurs, fantastic conditions. Over Flexenbahn and back up Valfegehrbahn, white out at top and again nobody on it, Tanzbodenbahn just re-opened and we skied all afternoon on knee deep powder in occasional sun on Osthang gullies, slopes completely empty apart from 100 or so whooping skiers/ boarders. Nobody about and laps all afternoon - best snow of the season apart from 29th December and mega-snowy week in January.

Yesterday 10 min queue when they opened Schindlergratbahn at 10.15am, skied the whole route to Rauz again in knee deep powder off the skiers right playing in the snow loaded gullies and then up Albona 2, off the back to 2 person lift and then down North face, again powder, then back up and Schindlerkar best snow on there for ages. Early dart back to Munich flight home. Cant complain one bit, awesome Easter weekend and good to ski with Clarky999, Kelski, Scarlet and Dave of the Marmottes Saturday. Never made it up Rendl, which is unusual for us, but followed the heavy Vorarlberg snow forecast and it worked, awesome conditions for early April, 4m at Galzig now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, clearly you have got to admit too that bus is simply faster and easier than Fiascobahn to get to Zürs....Interesting to read that. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, Faster on the bus but not as much fun, i'd rather be skiing than sat on a bus anytime but when the lifts are closing/ closed no option! Flexenbahn is an amazing feat of engineering, once again no issues all weekend, was over it a few times, no queues.

It's increasingly clear to me that St Anton has over-hyped the White Ring/ Run of Fame before the Zurs infrastructure is ready, it is definitely attracting more intermediate boy chasers (as I call them), out of control speed merchants max-ing out over-groomed pistes.....I don't particularly like that trend and prefer the freeride terrain and mentality, but equally people complaining about lift queues when they knowingly follow the crowds and also don't plan properly regards pinch-points do the area a disservice imo. I personally rate Zurs/ Lech/ Warth just as much as I do St Anton including Stuben/ Galzig/ Kapall and Rendl, so getting across into Zurs early is a major plus, takes in my favourite lift at Schindlergrat and run down to Rauz so not too shabby, neither is Trittkopf, but both need doing early!

I also agree the Steissbachtal issue needs sorting for next season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had to go Down Valley lastnight, the train was standing room only full of Locals (Austrians) from Innsbruck & beyond.

Nasserein was full of Coaches.

This is typical for Easter Monday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most folks make the fatal (Head long into the masses) mistake of following the Sun & heading up the South facing slopes (Gampen, Galzig, Nasserein) in the Morning.

Rendl is the place to be

If you want to go on a Ski Circus there is place called France for that Very Happy Very Happy

Steissbachtal
I have been hearing that next season they may reopen the St Christoph - Moos route
latest report
Why does Kappl need a connection ??

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=58678#p5158684
snow conditions
Better today. Still ended up on the Schindler chair with a couple of insufferable hoorayettes who spent the whole time discussing the size of their jobs, their friend who is getting artficially inseminated cos she wants to bring up her child alone and who is reporting to which VP of which law firm. Made it to the top without chucking up. Well done!
ski holidays
It's a pain to upload here, but I dropped a few on Instagram earlier, featuring @Dave of the Marmottes and@Kelskii: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhGwPrIBXgD/
More later.
snow report
@Steilhang, Should have been in our gondola enjoying highbrow discussion on sweaty helmets and ski resort street swag. Rather than hooray bragging a lot of general moaning from me about my liners packing out and world class faffing.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, would have been infinitely preferable!
snow report
@Markymark29, Auenfeld+Flexen download on same day cannot be considered very efficient skiing either, can it? You must love gondolas...
snow conditions
@Langerzug, no just powder, I’ll leave it with you, you clearly know all there is to know from the comfort of your armchair😜
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, how many stages of faff was it? I need to get going on that book Laughing
ski holidays
Camp skiing and prize-winning faffing. Whatever next. wink
snow conditions
@Steilhang, I share your dislike for hoorays, but you can't always tell. I speak 'received pronunciation' English and used to work in a City law firm. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A lot (many) of British Chalet Companys have targeted wealthy young Brits.

They are drawing them away from France & Switzerland.

The ownerss of propertys in St Anton are spending $$$$$$ converting there places to cater for th on guarantees of huge returns from fancy/exclusiv tour operators....

This has been going on the last 5 seasons...
snow report
@Hurtle, public school education here as well, which probably explains a lot!
latest report
@Steilhang, haha, takes one to know one, then! Laughing (I went to a grammar school. wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, Well, we were there 3 weeks ago. It was lovely as always, no need to tell about that online. Just received a confirming message for next Christmas.
I'm quite aware of the fact that Auenfeldjet and Fiascobahn always (well, Fiascobahn always) include a download. And so are you I suppose...
latest report
The reason for the bus is that, unless you are mates with the ski patrol or you drive, getting to Zürs from St Anton before 09:15 is not possible, nothing to do with the impressive lifts.

Whilst the Madloch chair is indeed slow it does limit the numbers on the Madloch runs. The main effect of installing a high speed chair would be to simply increase numbers going down the hill, just what many are complaining about. Personally I would prefer to get up early and have quiet pistes.

As to pub rumours of new old pistes, if it was so easy surely it would have been done years ago? From a skiing and resort perspective a direct route from St Christoph to St Anton makes huge sense, especially if it was a fairly easy blue. Given the infrastructure now needed for pistes with snow making and safety issues (it is not just a case of putting a bunch of signs across the fields) and that the route would have to go through protected woodland would it really get planning permission? In time for next season? Its a nice thought but seems far fetched.
snow report
@munich_irish, the i route from St Chris to Anton is well used by those who know ..
ski holidays
@stanton, There is a world of difference between an off piste route or even a ski route and a blue piste used by hundreds of skiers a day. Any suggestion of new infrastructure would need planning permission and generate environmental objections. Not saying it is impossible but it is unlikely to be a quick process. Project Dias has been held up for years over arguments about pistes not lifts. More likely is that the powers that be keep their fingers crossed for a different set of snow conditions next year, or even invest in a herd of cows Smile
snow report
@munich_irish, Exactly, with the caveat that it used to be that route down years ago via Maienplatts so there is a precedent. I agree though that it wont happen, mainly because its in an area of south facing high avalanche risk and i'd be very surprised if it happened in time for next season because this area would also need new barriers installed to guarantee safety of the masses. It would also spoil the area which is a designated nature reserve, and there aren't many of these left. I'd be highly surprised if a deal isn't done in time for next season and Steissbachtal is open again then, very poor situation this season though for the many who have been inconvenienced by it being closed.

@Langerzug, I really don't know what you mean by downloads. Whatever it is you are referring to its not practical to ski across Auenfeldtal nor over Flexenpass without the use of the new lifts in both areas so its a non-point as far as I am concerned. The Post bus works as @munich_irish, says if from St Anton you wish for first tracks over Madloch. I also agree with him that the old Madloch and Zug lifts work perfectly well, I personally don't want huge amounts of people spoiling the experience down to Zug, albeit I guess it will happen so that the Race of Fame folks can keep moving.....the rope tow along the flat next to the champagne bar at the top of Zug lift will need sorting also I guess. I've never queued at either Zursersee or Zug even at peak times and also when skiing down to Rauz and over via Trittkopf and a loop of Muggengrat first before going over, you just need to be out early on first St Anton lifts, and after all we are there for the skiing, right not lying in bed?

An epic season anyway, i'm done for now for this season, best for years - back next hopefully for skiing at Christmas but for now its mountain-bike training to be mountain ready for Arlberg/ Vorarlberg in August.
ski holidays
This was the Piste Map 1980/81 it was a Standard Route from Galzig

ski holidays
@munich_irish, It is existing they do not need plans. Totally different for Projekt Dias.
latest report
@Markymark29, I'm well aware there is no other way around Auenfeld or Flexen. But still it is downloading. And since you were mentioning optimizing your skiing....I rather do another Muggengrat or Seekopf run instead of the Flexenbahn-download (not to mention the fact that the pistes around Trittkopf are kaputt too)
Really, doing Auenfeld (2x) and Flexenbahn (2x) on one day to me sounds like a major suboptimal skiing day. With so many great runs (and restaurants) in between...

And so now you and Munich Irish are saying you need to get the bus to get to Zürs early. So you like Flexenbahn, but actually you prefer to be early by bus.... Puzzled (nothing really changed compared to pre-Flexenbahn) And you are also wishing the Madloch to stay as it is, but realizing this will be impossible due to Flexenbahn. (your easter powder options around Madloch in future might be seriously limited by the necessary piste remodeling which might be huge.....)
You cannot have it all....
Something we already knew in Lech, before Flexenbahn..... T

oo me in sounds you are a bit in a identity-crisis. Cool You used to be a St.Anton-boy, like we all were, slowly discovering that Lech actually has the edge. For now you feel -mistakingly- that Flexenbahn gives you the best of both worlds. But in a few years you will just prefer to stay in Lech, not actually needing St.Anton, like we all do when we get older. Cool And getting to that stage, you will start to dislike the Flexenbahn. Like we all do in Lech Cool
snow conditions
I sort of think that simply buying 6 electric buses and running a bus every 10 mins between Alpe Rauz and Zürs would have been as efficient and more environmentally friendly than the Flexenbahn lift. However that is not how ski resorts work and not what most visitors want. The post bus will remain a minority taste, most folk will get the lift or stay in bed longer and be perfectly happy.

Faster lifts will come to Madloch, Zug and elsewhere, yes it will change things, maybe not for the better but the resorts evolve. They are significantly different than 20 years ago and will be again in 20 years time. I am sure there are those who preferred skiing with 2m skis and being pulled along on a T bar lift but most prefer fast chairs and carving skis. For better or worse it is now the Arlberg, the biggest ski area in Austria (or at least until they build the link between S-H and Zell), and if the link to Kappel happens then the area can claim to be bigger than the Trois Vallee.

There is a lot of difference between a set of paths and fields that were an official ski route 25 years ago skied by those "in the know" and a blue piste safe for beginners. Maybe it will happen (personally I hope so) but will believe it when it happens.
latest report
@munich_irish, It is a Transit lift to KEEP Cars & Busses out of Lech & Zurs.

There will be a new Underground Car Park built at Alpe Rauz.

There are Two Owners blocking Steissbachtal . One in Town & One Down Valley.
snow report
@Langerzug, No identity crisis Laughing I just go where the snow is best and concentrate my efforts there. If its Warth/ Schroeken I go there, if its Lech/ Zurs likewise, same with Rendl, Kapall, Galzig or Stuben. I've been skiing Lech for years by the way and stay there and Warth every year for a week. Its a great overall area and we choose to travel over lifts or use the bus whichever suits our plans, not difficult really, and it all works.

@munich_irish, Difficult to get your electric bus to top of Trittkopf Id suggest. You clearly want differnet things from myself, ie long lies in and km rather than quality freeride, I guess we'll agree to differ, if I personally wanted to bash the km i'd be in Ischgl not 3V or Espace killy. I hope Project Dias never happens. wink
ski holidays
Personally I was perfectly happy with the buses (though they did get messed up occasionally), dont mind the time spent on the Madloch lift contemplating the mountains, didnt mind the slow cable car to Trittkopf either as it meant the numbers on the runs were limited, certainly always prefer getting the first lift. However that is not the way the world works and I dont think the changes are a disaster.

The tourist offices, the lift companies and the hoteliers want bigger, faster, better (maybe) and to compete with 3V, Espace Killy, Verbier. They want more visitors and to make more money. They would prefer a busy resort to a quiet one. We might not like it very much but it is their ski resort, we can always go elsewhere if we dont like it. We wont because the Arlberg remains, what it always has been, one of the best places to ski in the world.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy