Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
@jw83113, Must admit I thought he'd gone but could be wrong.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back in Oz after another great season. Thanks to everyone for the very useful info on this thread. This has been our 8th season and we still learn a lot from you guys. Well most of you. Already looking forward to December !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
@jw83113, I'd have thought they'll all be open until at least 15th April, why wouldn't they be? Ignore him, they'll be open. wink

Definitely not the case ..

End of Season at Easter (Saturday)

Heustadl ( Closes first)
KK (still in discussion but likely Easter Satuday)
Underground (maybe 7th there waiting on confirmed bookings)

Graibli ( after New Orleans event)

Open almost till the end

Moose
Sennhutte
Kamin
Fang

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 21-03-18 10:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/BNW16_dEfpg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Taps Race is April 10th, so they're open at least until then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/mkTRCU6M_AY
a wee edit from last week
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Overcast this morning...not Spring weather..more snow and cold weather...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, Great, let it snow!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
April tradionally alot of snow & lastctwo seasons best Powder Dumps were in May!!!

Water managment back home in the lowlands are getting worried about the sudden melt off ....preparing for flooding
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cloudy and overcast in Sonnekopf, but the snow was lovely. Boot deep fresh on the pistes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I didn't like St Anton- crowded, expensive and lots of knobs
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty poor troll. Surely you can do better, @Frosty the Snowman.

Want another try or rest on a fail?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A perfect Saturday...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:

Frosty has 30 times the input as your good self............. he's obviously not a troll.

St Manton is ...... crowded ............. expensive and ............. most certainly there are a disproportionate number of knobs in the Arlberg ......of all nationalities.

Still great skiing though.............. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimastaaah wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Frosty has 30 times the input as your good self............. he's obviously not a troll.

So you say. rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, win or fail, I need a rest.
snow conditions
Official Weather

Very changeable weather conditions are expected during the Easter week. Whereas varying and unsettled Atlantic weather is forecast for the first half of the week, the air current will turn south-westward from Thursday on and föhny-changeable weather will approach our regions from the Mediterranean regions. Due to the frequently heavy clouds, the temperatures will remain cool, the snow line will only occasionally rise above 1500m. A partly heavy southerly föhn wind will bring warmer air masses, but not before the weekend.
latest report
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=58280&start=175#p5157645
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:

I've never been to the Arlberg but I'm planning to next year so I've been reading up on the various threads, including this one. While there are positive things said about Lech, Zurs, Zug, Stuben, Warth and Oberlech, nothing I've read about St Anton offers a different view from Frosty the Snowman's.

Serious question... as a family group of very mixed ability, why would we choose St Anton over the alternatives above?
snow report
@Penry, "as a family group of very mixed ability" you would not chose St Anton. The piste skiing is not easy, and for a number of factors you would want to chose the alternatives.
snow report
Quote:

The piste skiing is not easy

There are some mellow pistes to be found but the real killer, in my view, is the mogul-strewn (and numpty-strewn) run home which regularly ruined the end of the day for me on my last trip, and I'm a fairly competent skier.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@Penry, "as a family group of very mixed ability" you would not chose St Anton. The piste skiing is not easy, and for a number of factors you would want to chose the alternatives.

This. There is no getting over the fact that the pistes to the town are clusterfocks and even the relatively mellow Rendl area is quite steep in places. Why a mixed ability group would go there compared to almost anywhere else in Austria is beyond me (and I like the place).
ski holidays
Agree with the above 3 posts, even @Frosty the Snowman! 😀

St Anton is fine if you are a rank beginner or at the high end of intermediate. The problem is for those in between, ie there is a huge leap from the baby pomas to the next level. For sure, there are a few slopes that might be okay first thing in the morning for an improving beginner, but they mostly become pretty tough once chopped up by traffic and crowded.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, @Dave of the Marmottes, Agreed.......there's a huge leap in difficulty imo from say French motorway resorts (3V, PdS and even EK) and I think many people recently look at Arlberg now St Anton is lift linked with Lech/ Zurs/ Warth/ Schroeken and see it as another 250Km or whatever resort and get their ski-faster and dafter apps out and with 4-5 weeks skiing under their belts think they are going to "do it", then get caught lacking. Its a tough ski area if done properly and that why folks come on here imo and bad-rap it, easier to blame the resort than taking a look at themselves. If I had a family ski trip planned with mixed ability group i'd stay in Lech not St Anton.
snow report
Penry wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

I've never been to the Arlberg but I'm planning to next year so I've been reading up on the various threads, including this one. While there are positive things said about Lech, Zurs, Zug, Stuben, Warth and Oberlech, nothing I've read about St Anton offers a different view from Frosty the Snowman's.

Serious question... as a family group of very mixed ability, why would we choose St Anton over the alternatives above?

Go to Ischgl......you will get a great feel for the area but the skiing on piste is tamer. There are also fun routes over to switzerland, for example, that mixed groups will
get a real thrill out of.
latest report
@Penry, St Anton is not ideal for everyone, if you are looking for negatives it is easy to find them (though the perfect ski resort does not exist). In high season it can be busy both in terms of queues and on the pistes. There are not an abundance of cruising blues and reds. It is not the best place, despite various efforts by the tourist office, for more timid skiers. The apres ski setup can be on the loud side and it is not unusual to see Brits & Scandinavians (and others too Smile ) staggering down the main street in ski boots come 8 o'clock.

However that really should not detract from what is one of the best places to ski anywhere, it compares well with say Chamonix and Verbier . The snow conditions tend to be amongst the best in the Alps and for those looking for a challenge whether a good intermediate or rubber legged expert there are few better places. It is also very easy to get to, a straight forward train journey from Zurich, Innsbruck, even Munich into the heart of the village. No need to join in the party scene there are quieter spots. The newish lifts make it easy to ski the rest of the Arlberg ski area too (there is a certain amount of dissension about queues for the linking lift but most folk dont seem to have had a problem).

I guess for a mixed group Zurs (it is pretty much in the middle of the area) would be ideal but accommodation is very expensive and not so easy to find - it also generally has the best on piste conditions, Lech is a bit cheaper though not a lot less. Warth is not so easy to get to (no access by road in winter to Lech) though a nice place but a long way from St Anton for those that wish to ski there.

There are plenty of mixed / family groups who have a great time in St Anton and come back year after year but of course there are some who cant stand the place (and contribute to this thread). If all your experience is of one of the big French resorts (or indeed one of more easterly Tirolean or Salzburgerland resorts) then St Anton / Arlberg would represent a rather different holiday.
snow conditions
thanks @mcg, Ischgl definitely under consideration but some threads give the impression it's a bit 'laddish'. Possibly I'm reading too much into it.

Back to St Anton for a sec... Thanks for the replies, they confirm what I'd picked up.

But if it was just the more confident half of the family, comfortable with anything on-piste and occasionally dabbling off to the side, then what does St Anton offer us that the rest of the Arlberg doesn't? There must be a reason for its popularity I guess, it's just not obvious to me what it is.

edit: apologies @munich_irish, I hadn't read your post.
ski holidays
IF you want Carpet Skiing stay away from St Anton & Stuben...its all about the Off Piste.. The Pistes exist just to get you to the Off Piste,,LOL !!

POW, Bumps, steeps unprepared -----

Lech & Zurs (although they also have great Off Piste) offer more for Groomer sliders & riders.

If your looking for Austrian Grooming Ski Circuses (like in France) then there is Saalbach,Zillertal.Ischgl plus may others.

Stop The Brutal Grooming.

The Blind Helmet Wearing Dangerous Carpet Skiers are driving up the prices in St Anton..season on season... Tips are decreasing ..

Prediction...by 2020 0.5Litre of Bier will be €10.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me, the thing which makes St Anton great (and better than the other Arlberg resorts) is that nearly all the runs there have some interesting sections (even most of the blue slopes), there is very little boring skiing. Even if you are mainly doing piste skiing like I do, there is nearly always lots of loose snow and bumps of one sort or another to keep it interesting. Personally I don't like skiing on completely flattened out snow. If you want to ski on perfectly smoothed out slopes then St Anton definitely is not the place to go (other for the apres-ski of course which is excellent), but it's not only about the off-piste in St Anton, the piste skiing is great too, just not what everyone expects.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@jw83113, I'd have thought they'll all be open until at least 15th April, why wouldn't they be? Ignore him, they'll be open. wink

Definitely not the case ..

End of Season at Easter (Saturday)

Heustadl ( Closes first)
KK (still in discussion but likely Easter Satuday)
Underground (maybe 7th there waiting on confirmed bookings)

Graibli ( after New Orleans event)

Open almost till the end

Moose
Sennhutte
Kamin
Fang

Stanton - Do you have any more updates on closing dates for the bars ? Are they all likely to be open next week ?
ski holidays
@jw83113, I’ve seen loads of stuff on my FB feed and all are saying 13/14/15th not seen any earlier.
snow conditions
Penry wrote:
thanks @mcg, Ischgl definitely under consideration but some threads give the impression it's a bit 'laddish'. Possibly I'm reading too much into it.

its not laddish at all. they make a bigh show of apres ski bars at the end of the runs with girls dancing on the
tables etc, but the reality is that the rst of the place is quite tame. like St anton, if you want wild you can find wild, if you want quiet
you can easily get quiet. In fact therein is the reality of the reason that people like these places. variety......
snow report
jw83113 wrote:
Stanton - Do you have any more updates on closing dates for the bars ? Are they all likely to be open next week ?

If you mean the from Easter Sunday/Monday definitely not all.
latest report
stanton wrote:
jw83113 wrote:

If you mean the from Easter Sunday/Monday definitely not all.

Yes, I'll be arriving on Easter Saturday, until Sun 8th April. Just trying to work out what will be open on various days.
snow report
Latest I heard is the same dates as my previous post above.

There will be still plenty of places...sometimes thats better when there are less...
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
skimastaaah wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

So you say. rolling eyes rolling eyes

And he's from Yorkshire! Toofy Grin
snow report
Today at Warth

snow conditions
@Penry, Ischgl is great too, more of a resort (there is very little of the original village left), more on piste focused but still good off piste. The loud apres bars are in the village itself (though there is one place a long way from the village, not sure I would want to ski home after one beer too many and no possibility of a taxi) rather than up the slopes a bit and it does seem to attract wealthy Russians. Maybe some of these bars are a bit seedier (rather than just boozed up) than the ones in St Anton, hence the "laddish" reputation

If I had to choose I would go for St Anton, I guess because of the tradition, the general feel of the place, St Anton seems more of a "real" mountain experience (yes I know that is very subjective) but if in a group who preferred Ischgl that would be no issue at all.
ski holidays
Penry wrote:

I have skied Ischgl many times on family hoidays and it has a great family atmosphere on the slopes with a fairly major caveat that on family holidays we don't really go into the bars so I wouldn't pick up on laddishness there but it is a great place for mixed ability with off piste that is less skied than in the Arlberg form my excursions and pistes that are pretty much suited to everyone.
snow report
Easter Saturday.

SNOW !!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy