Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
@andrewcaffrey,

Conditions are perfect .. Powder can still be found ...Long range 7+ days are forecasting snow but that could change.

Be aware Lech Zurs skiing is nearly entirely above treeline so in the event of storm day visibility is zero.

It is however Picture Perfect & good for Eye Candy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In 25 years in Lech have never seen substantial icy pistes, only some isolated spots in Zürs (Hexenboden), and Madloch-Zug of course.
The long range snow appears to be very uncertain (on top of the long term uncertainty Toofy Grin ) too by the way. Definitely no Nord or West Stau in sight.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 22-02-18 10:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Be aware Lech Zurs skiing is nearly entirely above treeline so in the event of storm day visibility is zero.

@stanton, Probably from your taxi rank, but on the hill use decent goggles and its fine..... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, I'd suggest timing is crucial on south facing slopes, if you time them as the sun has been on them for a bit and softened them up just enough but not too much they can be fantastic!! You can and I have spent a whole day skiing around Zurs following the sun and avoiding the crowds Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
You can and I have spent a whole day skiing around Zurs following the sun and avoiding the crowds Smile

I'm sorry, but that must be a little bit of nonsense. You make it sound like Zürs is huge. On a sunny high season day, ther'e always are crowds 10-12 at Seekopfbahn and Zürserseebahn (pistes can definitely cope). And since these have the sun only the first half of the day, I can't see how you have been following the sun and avoiding the crowds.
Yours must just have been a quiet day! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, yep plenty on south facing once sun gets up of course, Fang, Kapall etc can be great late morning as can the rear of Albona, loads of other stuff too. Zürs is great but as above it’s not a full days skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, No nonsense at all, Easter is always quiet Smile

Morning skiing in the sun off the runs around Zürsersee and Seekopf for a few hours, plenty of reds, a ski route and a few blacks. Ski every run once or twice.... As it warms up pop higher up Madloch for a lap or two and then ski Muggengrat back to Zurs for lunch or carry on into Zug, down into Lech and up Rüfikopfbahn down to catch Schüttboden and head back Zurs way. In the afternoon ski the other side off Hexenboden, Trittkopfbahn, plenty enough for a nice day out IMHO and you can usually find some off piste spring snow.

Here's an example of the heaving crowds and jam packed lifts I saw one Easter....

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, just saying there were no crowds you were avoiding
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:
@kitenski, just saying there were no crowds you were avoiding

ah, sorry mis-read thought you were saying it was crowded Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...except yesterday, until maybe 1pm. Heck, there was even a door bitch on Seekopf Bergrestaurant. It was full and he was not letting people in. If you wanted to use the bathroom, you had to leave your gloves with him.

It makes me wonder how to market Zürs to keep attracting the sort of people who will pay Zürs accommodation prices. It used to be positioned as “exclusive”, but IMHO now feels more like a truck stop on Interstate 101. Might make for an interesting separate thread,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ulmerhutte, agree. Have never fancied staying in Zurs despite the fantastic skiing on its doorstep.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just heard there were 2 avalanches yesterday near Rendl. One in Hinter Rendl and the other in/near the Malfontal.

I believe 5 persons were caught, with one seriously injured. I believe I might have seen that person being extracted yesterday afternoon. The heli unusually took that person to somewhere near Öst Terminal.

Our friend’s comment: it is very dangerous at the moment. He should know - he had skied and walked these mountains for 50+ years. I have seen avalanches this year in places that that I have not seen in the preceding 15 years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ulmerhutte,

Yes..there were two seperate avalanches....Rendlschart between 14:15 & 15:30..Risk level 2 but in Hinteres Rendl this does not apply

Did you not hear the helicopters?

www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/14042786-91/lawinen-am-arlberg-fünf-verschüttete-personen-geborgen.csp
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte,
Regarding Zürs; Once Madloch is solved (should come within 3 years, a new lift including an adapted piste, and a new lift from Zug), the current queues in Zürs will be history. (on-piste there still is abundant space, no problems there).
Even more so when St.Anton will get the connection to Kappl.

Zürs' market proposition indeed is unique, with a few 5***** hotels holding on to a full-board arrangement (!), and still successfully so.

Our landlady (in Lech) told us some years ago though that indeed Zürs was a bit suffering, because lots of guests prefer Lech, understandably so.
The new Flexenbahn should also be regarded in this light, bringing Zürs in the centre of the Arlberg, and thus more attractive for die-hard skiers that want some luxury as well
Maybe the Zürsians have been underestimating the effect of the St.Anton masses which we/they are currently experiencing.

The doorbitch at Seekopf-restaurant (never liked the place; lunch in Zürs is a major issue anyway, probably related to the full-board hotels) sounds awful indeed. Maybe it was too cold for the terrace, with lacking capacity indoors?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi again everyone, thanks for the responses and input.
I'm in the unusual (for me) situation of being highly flexible, with both kids out of the house and free to travel whenever, so I can wait and follow the weather. I usually do backcountry here in New England, so rain followed by hard cold can produce a tough crust even in the woods. It was 72F in Boston Wednesday, and today we got sleet!
The other place I am considering and can find accommodations is Grimentz-Zinal, tho Lech is preferred for now.
snow report
Ok folks here it comes Mother Russia

https://wepowder.com/de
snow conditions
Folks,
At the risk of veering off-topic, can someone help me understand what the pros and cons of staying in stuben--where I have a good offer from apre-post--vs in lech central, where I have other, more expensive offers, but at prices I don't mind. I get that Lech is central, and the views down mountain amazing. but from my remote distance, I'm a bit charmed, too, by Stuben, and the timing of the availability works really well. It would be a longer slog to the Warth side, which looks delicious, but closer to St. Anton. Not a nightlife guy and will be traveling solo, so I dont need a party-scene. But also dont want to feel like I'm in a ghost town once the lifts shut.
appreciate any feedback.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@andrewcaffrey, keep an eye on the weather thread, seems to be showing cold and snow for Austria the first week of March!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3197077#3197077
/

We arrive late next week so hopefully the snow will too.

Too far out for a believable forecast but early March tends to be snowy. That's why we come at this time - 10 trips, 8 had major pow deluges.

Fingers crossed. For weather and my dodgy knee Toofy Grin
snow report
@Langerzug, what you say makes sense, but only time will tell. Might make an interesting case study for the Harvard School of Business. 😄

If we were not committed to St Anton - we stay with friends - I would pick Lech over Zürs any day. Much more atmosphere and more non-skiing options. Moot point though. Cannot afford Zürs.
latest report
@andrewcaffrey,
Go with Lech. There definitely is some charme to Stuben, but it is rather limited. And not as charming as it looks on the pictures.
Lech has much more to offer, especially on those none-skiing days which we all -of course- like to ignore... Which hotel are you looking at?
Apart from that; from Lech also you get to St.Anton very fast, much more so than the other way around.
ski holidays
We are off to Zurs tomorrow.. one good intermediate snowboarder, one timid novice due to injury (me) and two kids on their third trip. This might sound pathetic but I’m worried about the cold! Will the ski school run all day? Will it feel as bad as it sounds? This is my 6th winter holiday and have never encountered below -8 or so. Any advice - particularly on how to keep the kids warm and happy- gratefully received!
snow report
@andrewcaffrey, I've stayed in Stuben many years, mainly like you say you can get a cheaper offer and we found a nice hotel with wellness centre that the family loved on poor weather days. We've done Warth and back with 14 year old kids from Stuben as well as got to and back from all the other areas inc Rendl and never found it an issue. There is one shop there we used to buy snacks, but otherwise we were skiing or in the hotel, apart from the odd beer in the sun on the huge terrace above the ski school in Stuben.

Honestly can't see any cons of staying there, if you are trying to get to/from some where you are skiing now rather than having to bus it. Also has nice views down the valley and first tracks before the hordes arrive on powder days! The "down the valley" pics here are from the hotel in Stuben over a few years, and also some of the video shows April powder.

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
ski holidays
Soozm wrote:
We are off to Zurs tomorrow.. one good intermediate snowboarder, one timid novice due to injury (me) and two kids on their third trip. This might sound pathetic but I’m worried about the cold! Will the ski school run all day? Will it feel as bad as it sounds? This is my 6th winter holiday and have never encountered below -8 or so. Any advice - particularly on how to keep the kids warm and happy- gratefully received!

Tips, especially for the kids, take the chemical hand warmers (super cheap in Decathlon if there is one near you) and teach them how to use them. Can be put inside trouser pockets, inside gloves, held inside gondolas. I can't see ski school stopping, I suspect (hope) they'll do more hot chocolate stops and keep them lower down/in the sun. Sun is stronger in Feb so if not windy and you can stay in the sun maybe not feel as bad, however the opposite if in the shade and windy it's going to feel very cold!

If you haven't already get merino wool layers INC socks. Balacava's are good as well especially for kids. I'd just be adding one or two layers, perhaps some skins under my salopettes and 2 x long sleeve merino wool layers with a fleece mid layer then a shell jacket.

Enjoy
snow report
@andrewcaffrey, we are off to Stuben in a couple of weeks time returning to Hotel Hubertushof where we stayed 8 years ago or so. It is a good base especially if you like your off piste. It is pretty quiet at night though and I would be tempted with Lech as I’ve stayed there a couple of times (pre credit crunch Very Happy )
Either way you’ll have a good location.
latest report
@boabski, you been back there since the elevator to the piste was put in??
snow conditions
@kitenski, not yet but saw it last year. Looking forward to it. 3 couples going so no kids to try and keep up with Laughing
snow conditions
@kitenski thank you so much! They will be fine, certainly not put off by the prospect of the cold like I am! I have the hand warmers and borrowing balaclavas from a kind skiing neighbour. I'm most upset by the thought of a week with no sunny terrace lunches! wink
ski holidays
Thanks all, super helpful in all respects. I don't see going wrong with either choice. Guessing I will meet other interesting folks wherever I land--maybe one of yous.
Greg, those pics, and vid esp are ... unfair!
all that off-piste was accessible right from the stuben lifts? mostly without guides?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andrewcaffrey, Hmm, I've had to go check :0

2011 kids skiing - no guide, think this was filmed on the run down to Zug, so not Stuben

2012 Stuben Off Piste - with a guide, but very easily accessible "Star Wars" route at the start...http://powdermap.com/offpist-destination/stuben/

2013 Off Piste day out - with a guide. Albona at the start from Stuben and Valluga at the end (boot pack or top lift only accesible with a guide)

2015 Day out skinning in warming temps - with a guide, Stuben down to Langen and then over to Rendl
snow report
@Soozm, I forgot a tip, mittens are warmer than gloves!
latest report
@andrewcaffrey, I am also an American, so maybe my perspective will help. I have stayed Stuben twice and Lech once. I would gladly hit either again. I went to Lech last time because I got married to someone who appreciates the finer things more than she appreciates skiing, so I basically bribe her to go skiing with me by relaxing my normal budgetary influences. Lech has more to do, and you are out of the St. Anton hordes a bit, so if the price were the same for equivalent accommodation, I would advise that. The price is different, however, so it's just up to you to decide if that difference is enough. I don't think you will have buyer's remorse in either location though.
ski holidays
Today was awesome. Quite foggy until about 10am. The sun broke through then and we had the most picture-perfect day you could imagine. Powder still to be found - if you knew where to look. ‘Nuff said.
snow report
Must say I’m intrigued in what way the American nationality would influence the choice between Stuben or Lech....😎
ski holidays
@Langerzug, we make odd decisions. As exhibit a, I offer the current president...
snow report
@mr. mike, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@mr. mike, I was thinking about mentioning that/him too. Glad you did for me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Saturday another great ski day...
latest report
Ok - I know this has been asked before (somewhere) and I have tried to search without any luck. Driving from Munich next Saturday am to St. Anton.... do I just follow SatNav or is there much difference in the various options. Having looked at the usual ones on Google - there seems to be a left ot right choice around Garmisch area?
ski holidays
Light snow falling and it is bloody cold this morning... makes me almost fear how cold it will feel for the next few days.

Lower slopes have already turned to sugar and ice. Might be a good start for some cocktail, but somewhat less pleasant for skiing.

Upper slopes are better, though visibility is mostly not that great.
ski holidays
We are in Zurs.. arrived Saturday - absolutely beautiful afternoon - early enough for the kids to get a couple of hours in on the nursery slopes. Yesterday was -10 but sunny until about 2pm and none of us got cold at all. Good conditions and visibility good until the late afternoon. Lots and lots of warnings from ski school instructors, hotel staff etc about the cold today! Sorry can’t give a more technical report - total beginner here and was with an instructor all day on the baby slope! Husband was at Stuben and all over Zurs and loved it. My 10yo’s class spent the afternoon at Lech which was a bit warmer and brighter. Very few queues apparently although it’s the school holidays in central Holland.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy