Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
Farmers are saying more snow on the way next week !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski area is probably better laid out now. the reason it seems for the tanzboden up grade was to close the happy valley. probably similar reasons behind the zammermoos relocation also.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi All, As well as Happy Valley being closed the ski routes above are also shut. It seems if Happy Valley is closed then this could impact a large portion of the area that has some of the best skiing...Can these routes still be skied as off piste? I was in St Anton in early Jan during the storm and it was completely out of the question to ski in there at that time anyway but I did notice that some of the signs around Happy Valley threatened ski pass removal if caught in there which suggest to me that you could be caught coming out from Bachseite for example at the bottom and have your ski pass removed...this seems much harsher than normal, or perhaps I have not noticed before. I am back out late Feb and was hoping to ski some of the parts I could not see in Jan so would be good to know if anyone has a view on this. Clearly if the area is shut for avalanche risk and the general risk is high as it was in early Jan then it makes sense to not go there - my question is about the longer term closure that seems to be taking place as its still shut yet everything else has been made safe and opened. Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NJClark, Do not buy a ski pass then they cannot remove it !

Hike up to Galzig from St Christoph. They cannot stop people from skiing if they hiked up.

Lots of freeskiers are doing Bachseite & other descents.

Groups of Ski Schools Guides etc cannot take the risk otherwise they will be fired.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Leisure Skiing is no good for burning Calories most folks would rarely burn 450cals & would easily eat more than they burn.

Ski Touring or better still Langlauf

https://www.gesundheit-blog.at/wintersport-vergleich-kalorien.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
Leisure Skiing is no good for burning Calories most folks would rarely burn 450cals & would easily eat more than they burn.

It’s still better than doing nothing of course but yes you’re right, people do burn way less than they probably think they do skiing around on piste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/5p_zhNs0RCk
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading back from lech now. Warth was great but saloberjet chair had massive queues around 11. Best snow of the day was in and around the gullies under hasensprung lift back in Lech. Anyone any other powder finding suggestions?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Piste-off wrote:
Heading back from lech now. Warth was great but saloberjet chair had massive queues around 11. Best snow of the day was in and around the gullies under hasensprung lift back in Lech. Anyone any other powder finding suggestions?

Both Valluga faces still have incredible untracked powder!! If you can get up there!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also under rufikopf there is still some to be had
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:

450 an hour is quite a lot, though, especially when you ski for 5-6 hours. In comparison lifting weights for an hour is around 200-250cal. I know what I'd rather be doing Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Piste-off, ....the gullies under Hasensprung.....really?? Sounds like a real hero! Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @NEpow23! I think Valluga would be beyond us but we'll check out rüfikopf. Driving to Lech was definitely worthwhile. Hassle free driving and parking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NEpow23 wrote:
Also under rufikopf there is still some to be had

Take it from me, the piste towards the Schafalp lift is better than that!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry @Langerzug didn't realise snowheads was only for experts.
snow conditions
Plenty of decent off piste still available in Warth / Schröcken.
ski holidays
Can a good intermediate cope with Langer Zug and is it pisted daily?
latest report
Can a good intermediate cope with Langer Zug and is it posted daily?
snow report
stanton wrote:

So going round in circles at the same (lower) elevation burns more calories than skinning up a mountain- how do they work that out?

Plus I‘d think people generally ski tour for longer than they do Langlauf.

According to my polar watch I burnt around 4000 cal‘s while ski touring on Sunday. Total estimated cals for the day was 5500.
ski holidays
@südtirolistdeutsch,
Lifting weights is for Monkeys

Zero Cardio.

Leisure skiers may burn 450 cal (just putting their boots on.LoL) or so but eat & drink double or treble what they nornally would..

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 6-02-18 21:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DB,Langlauf its the distance (10km) & speed its completed in.

If Ski Touring was changed to Ski Tour Racing then yes this would burn way more...
snow report
stanton wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch,

Zero Cardio.

Leisure skiers may burn 450 cal (just putting their boots on.LoL) or so but eat & drink double or treble what they nornally would..

Weights>Cardio=nogainz

True but you're burning quite a lot. If I ski 6 hours I'll burn roughly 2700. If I add 2500 for TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) I better be eating double or treble...
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch,

Zero Cardio.

Weights>Cardio=nogainz

True but you're burning quite a lot. If I ski 6 hours I'll burn roughly 2700. If I add 2500 for TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) I better be eating double or treble...
ski holidays
Quote:
...the gullies under Hasensprung.....really?? Sounds like a real hero! Puzzled rolling eyes

Sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say here? Can you elaborate please.
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, suggesting some powder adventures around Hasensprung-'gullies' 'back in Lech' is just hilarious.
Powder-inflation!
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@DB,Langlauf its the distance (10km) & speed its completed in.

If Ski Touring was changed to Ski Tour Racing then yes this would burn way more...

10km, that won't take them long to do.

Elite women do it in under 30 mins, normal hobby atheletes probably need 2 to 3 times that.
http://sport.orf.at/stories/2043335/2043362/

Many x-country skiers hardly push themselves, probably don't burn much more than recreational skiers.

Ski tourers will generally do many hours and you can't coast on the flats, there's no getting around the altitude increase.

On Sunday a group of us ski-toured for 12km, it was a mixed group of seven with one split border so we were waiting around a bit and I wasn't pushing myself but still burnt an average of 585 cals per hour for 6hrs 50mins.
We went over two saddles and did one peak.

Late last March I did a 6:30 Ski tour (Rumplerrunde at Dachstein) burning just under 5000 cals (770/hour).

To say Langläufers/x-country skiers burn more cals then Ski tourers in general is incorrect in my view.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 7-02-18 8:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thread seems to have derailed. This is the Arlberg thread. Perhaps discussion of the relative exercise values of various sports could be taken to The Piste?
latest report
skilegs wrote:
Can a good intermediate cope with Langer Zug and is it posted daily?

It is groomed pretty much every day. There are signs in the Ruffikopfbahn talstation and on the piste directions boards stating the grooming status.

Can a good intermediate skier do it? Sure, but the initial steepness can be intimidating, so not for the faint-hearted. A fall at the top will almost certainly guarantee a long slide.

It is best to do it first on a day with good light. The light can get quite flat in the top section, making it hard to to pick ridges and death cookies left from the grooming.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Thread seems to have derailed. This is the Arlberg thread. Perhaps discussion of the relative exercise values of various sports could be taken to The Piste?

Sorry, I was merely pointing out that you can ski Steissbachtal by hiking/skinning up without fear of having your ski pass taken away Happy It also healthier for you .
latest report
@skilegs, @ulmerhutte,
Langer Zug is also great early in the afternoon
But nowadays you must check the queue at Rüfikopf at that time, because of returning St.Antonians... Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Snowing lightly now on Rendl.

2:30pm Update - still snowing very lightly at Rendl. Broken clouds / sunshine; quite pretty really. Very enjoyable skiing - reasonable snow, in the context of it being quite a few days since the last decent fall, and relatively few people.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-02-18 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Snowing steadily in Lech all morning - little to no crowds today - great!!
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Sorry, I was merely pointing out that you can ski Steissbachtal by hiking/skinning up without fear of having your ski pass taken away Happy It also healthier for you .

Quote:
Saisonende: Lech, Oberlech, Zürs, St. Anton, St. Christoph, Stuben am 22.04.2018 (ab 14.04.2018 eingeschränkter Fahrbetrieb!); Warth-Schröcken und Klösterle/Sonnenkopf am 15.04.2018

https://www.skiarlberg.at/de/regionen/skigebiet/stanton-stchristoph-stuben/tickets/saisonzeiten

According to the above link Warth-Schröcken and Klösterle/Sonnenkopf close on 15.04.2018 with Lech, Oberlech, Zürs, St. Anton, St. Christoph, Stuben closing a week later 22.04.2018. Looks like it will be a great year for either skiing the last week lift served offpiste or touring from the following week onwards.
snow conditions
@DB, Always is great last week April/May .... Last Two Seasons we had the best Powder of the Season before the lifts opened in November & in May after they closed in April !!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Was on Rendl also today in morning. 4 hours of very light snow, might freshen the piste a little but not enough to make any difference off it. Near white-out above st Anton in the afternoon so retired to mooserwirt Very Happy
ski holidays
Scattered low cloud/fog, with high overcast, this morning. A few snow flakes drifting down. Temps about same-same - around -5C in the village and -10C higher up.

Latest speculation I heard on Steissbachtal: ABB wants to realign it. That however makes little sense to me. Going higher up the the Schindler side does nothing to mitigate the avi risk. Going higher on the Bachseite would involve massive earthworks. Doubt that would get approval.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, Steissbachtal

The reason is know & it is not that rolling eyes
ski holidays
@stanton, you posted something to the effect it would become known in 2 Feb. That post seems to have been deleted. Hmmm!!!

If you have been sworn to secrecy, AND had any integrity, you would not be confirming or denying any speculation here. The conclusions are obvious.
snow report
stanton wrote:
@ulmerhutte, Steissbachtal

The reason is know & it is not that rolling eyes

Stuck record, getting a bit boring now, let's not mention it again as clearly you are such a massive god of the Arlberg that only someone as important as you can know the real truth.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
@stanton, you posted something to the effect it would become known in 2 Feb. That post seems to have been deleted. Hmmm!!!

If you have been sworn to secrecy, AND had any integrity, you would not be confirming or denying any speculation here. The conclusions are obvious.

I do not recall that post..& I cannot recall deleting any posts recently.

I think I may of mentioned if Steissbachtal was not open or resolved by the kids holidays then it would probably remain closed for the season.

A lot of people were giving me a hard time earlier in the season believing it was because of Avalanche danger (which it was on certain days) but I think its evident now that my info was correct before Xmas !!

I have NOT be sworn to secrecy but I do not want a very good source(s) to be compromised so whoever finds out for themselves can publish the info here , not me.

The info is out there if you know where to look & ask Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy