Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Due to a ski addiction I need to reduce my quiver...what to keep?

Poster: A snowHead
I lurk on here, with a few posts from time to time, but I have now realised I have a ski addiction "problem" and I need to thin this lot out a bit...maybe

Normally I ski mostly lift accessed off piste, I like trees, bumps etc and I ski about 6 to 7 weeks a season in Europe. I do hike a little bit sometimes, but only have treckers and some old skins (and a roll a gaffer tape!) so its not very far (45 mins max)

I am a fit 50 year old, 5 foot 8, 11 1/2 stone, finesse skier, I don't ski that quickly and like lots of turns

This is the list....its a bit long

Rossi S3 in 177cm (go to ski for bumps, trees, soft snow), they are a bit too soft and easy really, but do everything and I have a new spare pair...lazy ski!

Rossi s7 in 188cm (only used twice when it was really deep)

Elan Chainsaw in 175 (105mm twin full rocker bit like rossi s6, bindings fitted but never used)

Rossi Z76 in 170cm main piste ski, only one i really have.

Fischer Misfit 177cm (normal cambered 92mm twin, used alot, prob favourite all mountain ski)

Rossi soul 7 in 180cm (given them never used)

Rossi Sin 7 in 180cm (supposed to be replacement for s3 but never used)

Salomon rocker 2 100 in 178cm (never used)

Dynastar cham 2.0 97 in 178cm (never used)

plus 2 pairs of rock hoppers

What to keep, what should probably go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many do you want to keep?

I'd say keep:

- S7 for deep days
- Soul 7 for every day
- Salomon Rocker 2 to see if you prefer it for every day (then get rid of the other)
- Either Z76 or the Misfit, whichever you prefer for hard snow/piste days
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I might use you as an example to my wife as to why I do not have too many skis...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@legue,

It's not just that you have a lot of skis, it's that you have a lot of similar skis. I hate the nagging suspicion that I should have taken something else out Very Happy I have that problem and my quiver is more sensible than yours!

I'd start by getting rid of anything that is not in very good nick. You don't need rock hoppers do you? You're not going to run out of ski bases any time soon! Are the S3's getting tired? If so get rid of them and use the sin 7 or Cham 2.0. If not sell the sin 7s and cham 2.0.

Keep the Z76 (good to have a hard snow ski) and the misfits because you really like them (personally I would have thought that in any given conditions one of the other skis would be a better choice but perhaps these are the one-ski quiver you fly with?)
Keep the s7 for deep days.
Get rid of the Elans, Salomons and soul 7s.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@legue, my thinking is that you should apply the same clearing out decisions to skis as anything else (see my related thread from last week). It is the end of the season, so anything that is knackered or unused should go (unless a direct replacement for something that is knackered).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, I've kept (almost) all of mine - I'll need them to line the walls of my ski room some day Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, I still have all of mine, but I only started acquiring them last season and "all" is still only two pairs. The longer you keep them, the harder it will be to chuck them out when you can't help falling over them or find you are down a bedroom/garage/cupboard because of all the junk skis you're storing for "one day"... Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd be inclined to go Soul 7 and Cham 97 from that list for soft/offpiste most of the time with the S3 for other day to day and z76 for hardpack duty. No idea what the misfit is like but a 92mm trad cambered ski seems to be not one thing or another these days.

Or radical solution flog everything and go OSQ on the Cham or something similar like a Whedot R98 Trad.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster wrote:
@legue,

It's not just that you have a lot of skis, it's that you have a lot of similar skis.

So, you're saying the OP needs to buy some more (different) skis... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
why not ski the five pairs you have never tried and see if you like em...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First of all the use of the word quiver for your ski collection, for me, grates and I find it a little pretentious.

Secondly, the answer is that clearly you have far too many skis and the obvious answer is to use the ones you like. Unless you want to be a ski hire shop.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

use of the word quiver for your ski collection, for me, grates and I find it a little pretentious

OP, Quiver away...

20 years ago I used to have a "quiver" of windsurfing sails and I've transitioned now to a "quiver" of fun skis that I use as often as possible. A "ski collection" would be something on the wall or in a dusty cupboard that was not used hard enough - and for skis, that would be plain wrong...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quiver has been chosen ad the collective noun in the English speaking world so it doesn't matter whether someone finds it pretentious - it's no more so than a parliament of owls or a murder of crows.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep cham 97, sell everything else and buy an up to date high performance piste ski
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Quiver has been chosen ad the collective noun in the English speaking world so it doesn't matter whether someone finds it pretentious - it's no more so than a parliament of owls or a murder of crows.

By whom? The dictionary defines it as a container for arrows coming from the French word cuivre. I tried it on my non snowheads skiing friend, asking him what he would think of my quiver of skis. He just told me not to be such a cock. I think that's most people's reactions. At least those who aren't pretentious cocks.
ski holidays
By observation, perhaps the collective should be a "pretentious" of skis?
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
At least those who aren't pretentious cocks.

Given that to non-skiers, skier is synonymous with pretentious cock I really don't think it is a big deal.
snow conditions
Good grief, just got back from work and lots of responses, thank you for the advice, the s3's are indeed a bit tired, and probably too soft really, you can't really even go remotely quickly with them and they feel rather unstable, so they may go......the rest I will have a think about, I just wanted some other opinions...........so thank you for them.

and does it really matter if its a quiver or just too many skis! maybe a new collective description should be an addiction of skis........... Very Happy
snow conditions
Hmm -

I can understand how you got to this point, I have similar issues (incl the vocab....). At least I have managed to sell 4 pairs this season ... still massively oversupplied and caught myself seriously trying to justify a new additon...

Can I suggest that you sort them by (listed) radius (radii? For Snowhead pendants watching and "quivering" over every pretention) and by stiffness ? Not for the For Sale bit , but so you can more readily see what and why you like what you are skiing and what you do like and what you might then keep? i.e. the Cham 97 and the Sin 7 are both great skis but v different. But the Soul 7 is also but v close so one must go etc etc ....

or just add some more ! what have you got 110 + and super fat eh??? Plus where are you free ride tech bindings - c'mon fella , you are only scratching the surface!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My rough count on skis is 20....
snow report
Marcus Caston can ski offpiste, bumps, and groomers like this
http://youtube.com/v/cDqh_bRS_z8 on a Blizzard Cochise (108mm, 27m radius and Bonafide (98mm, 21mm radius). I'm guessing he could do quite well on either of these. Point is, most people probably only need one pair of all rounders (not that most people can ski like that, but you get the point...)
snow report
Quote:

Point is, most people probably only need one pair of all rounders

This.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
Point is, most people probably only need one pair of all rounders (not that most people can ski like that, but you get the point...)

'Need' and 'Want' are two very different things - let's face it, I think we're all probably kit whores to some extent, and if it not ski's then it'll likely be something else. The only thing about the OP that tells me that he has too many is the fact that he has a number that are unskied.
latest report
Quote:

Keep cham 97, sell everything else and buy an up to date high performance piste ski

This...and..put some tele bindings on the Misfits...
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

By whom? The dictionary defines it as a container for arrows coming from the French word cuivre. I tried it on my non snowheads skiing friend, asking him what he would think of my quiver of skis. He just told me not to be such a cock. I think that's most people's reactions. At least those who aren't pretentious cocks.

TBF it's a pretty standard term used by most skiers IME. Hence products like Quiver Killers and labels like 'one ski quiver.'

Also the standard term among surfers, and often even among kayakers.

As above, collection doesn't really work unless you're collecting rather than skiing, and 'my quiver' is a lot shorter than 'my collection of skis.'

I'd consider the three pairs of skis I actually use to be my quiver; the rest which are sitting in the cellar waiting 'til I buy a house with a ski room are my collection.

-------

Needless pedantry is a fine way to start a sunny Wednesday morning though Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 10-05-17 9:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:
Marcus Caston can ski offpiste, bumps, and groomers like this
http://youtube.com/v/cDqh_bRS_z8 on a Blizzard Cochise (108mm, 27m radius and Bonafide (98mm, 21mm radius). I'm guessing he could do quite well on either of these. Point is, most people probably only need one pair of all rounders (not that most people can ski like that, but you get the point...)

Great Video, I remember watching it when I was thinking of buying Bonafides -

But doesn't it perfectly illustrate the point that a pro skier with all the choice will pick a stiff 'Big Mountain" "Charger" with a big radius on the day he wants to ski big open off piste terrain and an "All Mountain" mixed condition ski for the day he wants to rip the groomers?

Sure , he could have done both days on either - but he doesn't.

BTW , I ski 99% of my time on one ski now so I do get your point !
snow conditions
@clarky999,
+1

I'd argue "freeride" could be seen as pretentious marketing guff too but it is a useful term to skiing enthusiasts because it is shared shorthand that we all understand. I wouldn't use it with people who weren't skiing enthusiasts.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm guessing he could do quite well on either of these. Point is, most people probably only need one pair of all rounders (not that most people can ski like that, but you get the point...)

Well...
Scott Schmidt skied all sorts of amazing stuff on what were basically one model of old school skinny gs skis with different artwork.
Not sure that helps us mortals much.

As someone else pointed out we are talking about an indulgent leisure activity - what does NEED have to do with it!
Look around the house - how much of what you have is about NEED.

Don't get me wrong - you can have a great time on one pair of all rounders. I've done that for the vast majority of my skiing days. But if you have somewhere to store skis in the mountains then having a few choices can add to the fun.

Even when I was flying my gear out and my kids were little, I enjoyed having two pairs - took one pair for family holidays when I would mainly be on piste and another when skiing with mates (overwhelmingly off piste) but this was more about keeping hold of an old pair rather than shopping for two complementary pairs.
snow report
A useful rule I learnt from backpacking is:

On the return from a trip split what you took with you into 3 piles: What you used most days, what you used some days and what you never used.
Get rid of everything you never used
Look at what you used occaisionally and get rid of most of it
Get rid of some of the stuff you used most days.

Since you never used 4 pairs get rid of them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE,
Not a bad rule but comes a bit unstuck with emergency gear!
ski holidays
I'm a snowboarder so I don't really understand why you need two of everything, and maybe I don't understand the question. I've a garage full of old snowboards, and a few pairs of skis too - that's ok, I can stick them on the wall when I'm old or something.

The issue isn't how many boards do I have, it's how many I carry around. When snowboard technology wasn't great the answer was three boards: hard pack, resort powder, powder board. These days it's two: resort, back country. So that's my solution: just something really good in those categories and ride it until it's dead, rinse and repeat.

Hence I'd chuck all that stuff in the garage, except for two pairs, which will fit perfectly in your quiver bag.
latest report
jedster wrote:
@johnE,

That was my immediate thought.
snow conditions
so had a think about it, I don't have an issue with storage as they all live in our cave in the alps. so here is the plan

rossi s3 retired to bump ski, and get rid of new pair, they are a like a comfy worn out pair of shoes that you always go back to, but should not!

sin 7 to go, bit pointless.

s7 keep for deep days

Soul 7 / chainsaw / salomon r2 100, put bindings on them and try them all...keep 1 pair

Cham 2.0 97 keep and try (have a mate who skis longer version and he has said really great for slushy stuff, and we always go 2 weeks at easter)

Keep z76 as piste ski, they are the ti version, and I like cambered skis on piste.

retire misfits to rock hopper, and get rid of both old rock hoppers as they are both stuffed really.

Makes it a bit more manageable, and will be fun trying them all. Thanks for all the input. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

@johnE,

Yes, I suppose that will occur if I ever go and for some reason it doesn't rain.

Or to quote Chouinard: if you bring bivy gear, you will bivy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy