Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying in Trysil (or other resorts in Norway) Feb 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our family (husband and I who have skied a lot) and 2 kids aged 8 and 14 who have skied once are planning a trip to Norway (flights booked) 11-18th Feb 2018. Thinking of Trysil as resort of choice. Looking for recommendation of accommodation (not either of Radisson hotels as one booked and other too expensive!) Have looked at SkiStar website and lots of different apartments/chalets so looking to hear from anyone who has stayed in self catering place.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Useful thread!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3052423&highlight=trysil#3052423
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely place, but food is seriously expensive. Town is about 10 minutes away which has supermarkets though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live near Gardermoen and Trysil is the resort I go to since I started alpine skiing again, about 3-4 years ago.
It is the largest resort closest to Oslo. It has a nice range of slopes, everything for you and a nice kids area.
I normally do day trips there and when I have stayed it's been package deals that included ski passes and accommodation. This year was at the Radisson Resort and last year a 4 bed apartment at Hoyfjellsgrend

Other resorts you can look at are:
Hemsedal
Norefjell
Hafjell
Kvitfjell
Geilo

All of these are between 2 to 3 hours’ drive away from Oslo Gardermoen airport and differ in size, terrain, non skiing activities, afterski etc. All resorts will be quiet at the time you have booked (half term is the week after).

I have skied and stayed at Hemsedal and Norefjell but this was 5-7 years ago when I was a beginner. Both were work related trips so only skied 1 day at each place. Hemsedal is known for its afterski and nightlife and I enjoyed the skiing (planning to go again next season). In Norefjell we stayed at the spa hotel and I was a complete newbie at skiing then.

Norway is expensive for food and very for alcohol especially if you eat out but you can keep to a reasonable budget if you make most meals at the apartment. Make full use of your duty free allowance if you want alcohol. I've been here too long so I'm no longer shocked by the £10 pint or £5 cup of coffee.

If you any questions about Oslo or Trysil I'll do my best to answer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know too much about Trysil, but I went to Hemsedal the year before last, and it's a nice little resort (I think it might be the largest Alpine resort, in Norway, though might be wrong) which is definitely worth considering. Gorgeous drive out there from Oslo as well (probably one of the most beautiful drives I've had actually).

There seemed to be a lot of nice self-catering accommodation, and we got a pretty good price at the Hemsetunet apartments (which were very nice, and each apartment had its own sauna!) which is right outside a bus stop to the slopes, and near ski shops, food shops, bars and take-aways.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clareholyoak, we have booked flights to Oslo for next half term, but have decided we are going to stay in Salen in Sweden, we have booked a car and plan on visiting Tyrsil for a day while there (the Salem left pass covers this).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Sälen as an option, was there this Easter with the wife and kids (6 years & 18 months).

We decided a bit late for Easter and ended at Lindvallen in Sälen as most of Trysil was booked out or very expensive (>£4K for a week!). I have been there before and knew it would be nice place for my eldest to learn and the wifes first time back on alpine skis for 7 years.

The ski runs in Lindvallen are very short and I found them very boring (15mins on the lifts and about 3mins skiing). Eldest progressed very well at the ski school and my wife was happy with the easy runs. Did not skiing anywhere else this time. We will most likely go back next Easter.

It is cheaper than Norway especially for food and drinks and there is a bit more to do for the kids (bowling, pool and cinema).

@NickyJ
Your day ski pass for Trysil (or other SkiStar place) is valid only after your stay in Sälen!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Spoon, thanks - didn't spot that bit, need to read up in more detail!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Spoon, just checked and that is a different offer, this was the bit I read.

Quote:

More added values in Sälen

The Sälen*Pass 6-8 days or more gives you one ski day in Trysil during the validity of the Sälen*Pass.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's good news, maybe I should be better at reading the details!

Hope you have a good trip to Sälen and Trysil.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could look at the Lillehammer resorts. It's same or closer to Oslo than Trysil. We've only been once and skied at Hafjell and Kvitfjell. A cabin in Kvitfjell could be really nice.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spoon wrote:

The ski runs in Lindvallen are very short and I found them very boring (15mins on the lifts and about 3mins skiing).

Perhaps a little harsh, the lifts only take about 7-8 minutes up, but definitely right about the down Laughing
Lindvallen is all along one side of a hill, so there is very little difference between the runs and not much sense of travel. The exception is the piste/transport track over to Hogfjellsenter, which is flat and long (especially if the wind is howling in the wrong direction Shocked ).

The other pair of villages, Tandadalen and (?forgotten! ) have more varied and steeper skiing but still some nice easier pistes.

Trysil is 50-60 minutes drive away and you can definitely do a day there on your week pass from Sälen, we did, and is s good day out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy