Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight checking software

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

I thought I'd give you all a wee tip. I hope this is the correct place because it is related to trips (MODs feel free to move). Now many of you know @admin had a lovely trip in Japan two years ago and he was amazed that it was cheaper to fly from Milan via Heathrow (LHR) that from LHR direct.

Also some of you know that I fly a lot lung haul so here is a top tip for finding either cheap flights (economy is about the same) or a way to get at least one leg in Premium economy for economy price.

Or just a neat way to avoid the BA multi city tool (which is terrible). You can use it for other airlines but I use BA because of baggage restrictions on others.

(Edited due to link not populating)
Say you wanted to go to Tokyo in October but the premium economy was expensive. Well try this

Go to
https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

In the from do LHR to Tokyo and check the price.

Now check the price for Premium economy. Hmm quite a jump

Note this is the good bit for folk that can get a cheap flight to the continent or live in mainland europe.

In the from copy and paste this

AMS;ARN;ATH;BRU;BUD;CAI;CPH;DUB;FCO;FRA;HEL;IST;LCA;LIN;LIS;MAD;MLA;OSL;OTP;PAR;PRG;PSA;SOF;VIE;WAW :: BA+

and type in to Tokyo on the same dates you can get some really cheap deals. Obviously this is an extreme case but you can simply use your local airport codes or airports near you or easy to get to. I use GLA, EDI, DUB (Dublin is especially good for USA flights)

If on mainland europe and you live between Milan and Rome so can go to either.

EG Rome FCO to Tokyo 1650 euros premium economy

type in FCO, MIL and you get an out leg from Milan in business class to Rome then the same premium economy tickets for 1276 euros a saving of 374 euros/person. Train from Rome to Milan is cheap and if a family is going it can save over 1000 euros

Also by sticking in an extra leg you can sometimes get the Premium cabin at Economy price.

Have a play and see what you can save.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 1-07-17 12:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EG GLA to Tokyo in premium. £2k Ouch.

Using AMS I get

AMS-FCO Economy
FCO to Tokyo Premium
Back Premium and Business
1400 euros

On Cathay I get Business out and Premium back for less than BA premium.
1700 euros
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GlasgowCyclops, Thanks for that. My daughter is currently living in New Zealand so this could be really useful for me. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you have to complete the whole trip? Think I've read before that you do, but I can save a lot by flying to San Diego from Oslo to LHR, same return. Getting off at LHR and not completing makes it easier to get home. Haven't the energy to trawl through flyertalk forum!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iski wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Thanks for that. My daughter is currently living in New Zealand so this could be really useful for me. Very Happy

If you are going you can do a multi trip with a stopover at SIN. You can also save money by putting it in a package. EG if you stop at SIN and book in the Village Hotel Katong (my usual in Singapore) you can get the hotel included for the same price as the flight. Happy Use Matrix to find the flight and phone something like Dial a flight for the package. If it is just a flight then the airline direct is usually cheaper.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
endoman wrote:
Do you have to complete the whole trip? Think I've read before that you do, but I can save a lot by flying to San Diego from Oslo to LHR, same return. Getting off at LHR and not completing makes it easier to get home. Haven't the energy to trawl through flyertalk forum!

Hi Endoman

BA are checking up on uncompleted runs but in a random way. If you split so land at LHR and transfer to LGW I've read it is not so scrutinised. However, don't take my word for it. I've read it on FlyerTalk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
endoman wrote:

Hi Endoman

BA are checking up on uncompleted runs but in a random way. If you split so land at LHR and transfer to LGW I've read it is not so scrutinised. However, don't take my word for it. I've read it on FlyerTalk

Ta, gives me some ideas for getting 2 of us to SAN and back
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@endoman, generally uncompleted trips get untaken legs cancelled.

So if you tried to travel OSL-LHR-SFR for example, you wouldn't be allowed to start at LHR.

Also, airlines (and this happened to me with BA) check for obvious back to backing and cancel what appear to be fare breaches.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ta, only leg I may not complete would be the LHR - OSL leg, but would need hand luggage only. An afternoon in Oslo might be interesting!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should also mention that Google bought ITA so it's interface is not so sexy anymore. But very flexible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can often leave the last "redundant" leg to a time when you need it. For example, I'm off to Chamonix in August using the leftover Lhr-Gva flight from a US trip I did in April. Edit - for clarity, my route was CPH-LHR-JFK-BOS-SFO-LHR-GVA, and adding that final GVA flight on made the ticket over £4K cheaper!

I would add that whilst these fees are very attractive and I use them a lot (I've flown half a dozen such eu-originating long hauls in the past year) there hundreds if not thousands of posts on flyertalk about the wrinkles and complexities. I'd think carefully about booking one without at least reading the ex-eu planning guide on the BA forum there.

@under a new name, was the ita interface ever sexy? I don't recall it ever being anything other than arcane commands and acronyms. Google flights is much nicer and faster but way less flexible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shall do some homework, it will depend on if I have to overnight etc. There is a big saving to be made for 2 of us, but the extra hours / days are a hassle when self employed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy