Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone replace ski/board edges?

Poster: A snowHead
It's actually for one of my boards.

I put it into a shop in Morzine for a service last year and it can out with less than 1mm left on some of the edges. To say I was furious was an understatement but all I got was Gallic shrugs and a sudden inability to speak English.

Can the edges be replaced? I'm not too worried about the cosmetics on the base. I've tried to leave any sharpening on them but the board is now a bit fruity on hardpack/ice and as a piste charger, that's where it should excel. The board is a 2010 Burton Vapor and although old is very dear to me. Having an aluminium/resin core means it still flexes like it is brand new, so I would like to repair if possible.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick answer, I don't believe so.

Longer thoughts, maybe they needed to take that much metal off to get past damage?

Also, less than 1mm on my skis typically suggests they're trashed ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Possibly. What do you mean "some of the edges"? A section of the edge?

I don't think you're going to want to hear this, but after seven years if you're getting very low on edge...well that's what happens. I have skis from this year that are done
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bin it and name and shame the shop.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bar shaker, you *could* treat it like an edge repair, particularly if the edge damage is limited to smallish areas of the board, but a full length repair could be very tricky without a jig to hold the shape properly while you cure the epoxy properly.

Maybe better off retiring the old girl and putting the repair costs towards something new and shiny.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, It went in for a wax, the board was my pride and joy and it never gets trashed on rocks etc. It rarely even goes off piste as I have another board for powder days.

@Layne, I have no qualms in naming them. It was Berger Ski Station, by the Plenney lift.

The worst parts of the edge rail are at 3 of the widest 4 points of the board. Replacing 200mm lengths would do it. The rest is all pretty much 2mm wide still.

@Richard_Sideways, The cost of a new Vapor is prohibitive. There are none to buy in Europe and the cost of importing from the US (most wouldn't even sell to a UK customer) is eye watering... hence hoping a repair was possible.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any photos?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is possible to replace sections of edge but it's major surgery requiring the p-tex to be cut back & then patching in once the edge has been replaced. I do a few every year.

However 200mm is a long section & the edge probably won't then flex properly due to the break at each end. Doing 3 sections like that at the contact points were all the load is just won't hack it. For a one-off short repair then ok but not for that.

The board's toast!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that the one that cost £1000 with an aluminium core? And they ground all the edges off? Christ! I'd be looking at some compensation for that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's how it's done: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1483078&highlight=edge+replacement#1483078
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you care about your kit hand tune only unless you really really trust the shop. Belt wax is OK of course. Learnt this lesson with a clumsy shop that ground away almost half the base on a nearly new board as its the easiest way to fix scratches in it.

7 years is a respectable life ....cue Frozen....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jiagedaping wrote:
Is that the one that cost £1000 with an aluminium core? And they ground all the edges off? Christ! I'd be looking at some compensation for that.

Yep, thats the beasty - rare one too as that was the last year of the aluminium core IIRC, they went to a wood core after that, then to carbon. There isn't a '17 model either as the Big B moved their premiere board became a modified super lightweight Custom X.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£400.00 ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burton-Vapor-snowboard-161-163-length-black-orange-With-Dakine-Bag-165-cm-/162501844189?hash=item25d5dd5cdd:g:XG8AAOSw4CFYrquu
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ouch. Probably a bit late now, but I wouldn't have left the shop... Didn't Burton release the Mystery? A replacement at least...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, Thanks, I think. If you can't, I'm happy no one can.

@jiagedaping, Yep, that's the one. Pretty amazing to ride.

@Dave of the Marmottes, I now have a full load of kit and have just received Spider Jon's 'How to...' DVD.

@Richard_Sideways, I may replace it with the new Custom X, but it lacks the 'specialness' and feel of the Vapor's alu core. I have loved the Vapor. It was built by Burton as a pipe board but it is mental as a piste hooner. The faster you go, the stiffer it feels, yet at slow speeds, it Ollies and springs off kickers like a park rat. It is the best carving board I've ever ridden, thanks to the way you can load up the tips. Best of all, it rides today like it is doing its first morning out of the shop... except for the edge hold on ice, now. To my mind, it is worth every penny of its price.

@albob, Interesting find. Mine is a 159 and if this was later with the ICS track I'd rip his arm off.

@jiagedaping, I was getting no where and could barely speak French back then. I've ridden a Mystery and it isn't as stiff as the Vapor. I think Burton chased 'gold card riders' with it as it was certain de-tuned. At least that's what I tell my mate who bought one Laughing

Maybe I need a go on a 2018 Custom X.
ski holidays
Managed to get a 159 Andy Warhol special edition (described as 'new') for £337. Result.

Thanks for all of your help guys.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy