Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

smoking laws in austria

Poster: A snowHead
a ski trip to soll back in 2000 was spoiled by almost everyone smoking, and when the old lady at the check out in a mountain restaurant blew smoke over my meal i nearly threw up, so whats austria like now, i still have a few austrian resorts i"d like to visit before i hang up my skis, kitzbuel, st anton saalbach and shladming, i have been avoiding austria for the last 13 years, so is it safe to go back
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
compostcorner, it might have been your experience then but I have never witessed anything so gross. I have found plenty of places with proper no smoking areas. I hate smoking but have never been too bothered by it in Austria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's still pretty smoky out there IMO. In restaurants you might get people at the next table smoking, but the little bars are the worst - sometimes the only way to get away from it is by going outside. It's a real shame.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strange. Most of the places I've been to are much like most of the rest of Europe now. Non-smoking indoors, most smokers going out for a fag. Some hotels are 100% non smoking.
Not seen people smoking indoors in the mountain restaurants over lunch for years. Most bars I've been to were not a problem.

If it is a real concern, and you want the Austrian feel to a ski trip, try the Süd Tirol instead Smile It's just like Austria, but the Italians beat even the UK to a smoking ban by several years Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Things have changed since 2000. Most restaurants have smoking and non-smoking areas. They can't smoke on the cash-outs or kitchen areas, only designated areas.

http://andynash.com/smoking-or-non-smoking-restaurants-in-austria/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I must admit just hearing some bad stories about smoking in Austria is one of the reasons I will not go there. I hope it is better than it used to be, but it still puts me off.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its dreadful! Worse even than ever before! In one place last year the staff took turns to blow smoke over my food whilst I was eating and then made me smoke and me a non smoker! Worse still they then made me buy them all a pack of 20!

That combined with the low altitudes with very little snow, ugly villages, and rude people put me right off, don't go! France is the place! Shocked Little Angel snowHead Laughing wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The link given by DB above gives a good summary of the current restrictions (though Wiki says (in German) that the size restriction for smaller rooms is 50 sq m, which can be increased to 80 sq m if there are structural reasons why separate smoking and non-smoking rooms are impractical). There should be a sticker near the entrance showing whether smoking is allowed or not.

Practically, this means that you can still find small huts where smoking is accepted but that is now more the exception than the rule. However, I did note on a course I was on recently, that there are many smokers in Austria.

P.S. Even Mozart complained about smoking in Austrian coffee houses: "I thought I must turn back because of the stink and smoke from tobacco". Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 18-10-13 10:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought it was pretty bad in Soelden when I was there last year. We have got so use to the nice atmosphere in bars and restaurants over the rest of the world ithat it comes as a huge shock to find such badly polluted air.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like the Austrian government might ban all smoking in pubs / restaurants etc

Article in german.
http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Bald_absolutes_Rauchverbot_in_Lokalen-Beschluss_vor_Sommer-Story-434619
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in a small hut on the mountain at Christmas and that is the first time in ages that I have experienced smoking indoors in Austria.

Still, the kids made enough of a fuss to get him to put it out. They do have their uses Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spent a week in Austria over Christmas - I have to say it wasn't too bad this year. I remember only once being seriously wafted by smoke.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought the whole of Europe was no indoor smoking?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i was in mayrhofen 2 years ago and it was pretty good , i think nearly every bar we went in to had a non smoking area which in some places was most of the bar. last year in schaldming it was awful. every bar seemed to be all smoking . the only exception was the big hotel opposite the bottom of the planni runs. so back to mayrhohfen next week. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were also in Austria this year. Did find it a lot better than other years, however people were smoking in a restaurant one night. My teenagers were shocked and did find our clothes smelt slightly of smoke the following day.
snow conditions
Schladming last week was bad although we did find a one non smoking restaurant on the hill at Hauser, Mayrhofen changed a few years ago and is great these days.
ski holidays
We were in Soll over Christmas, generally anywhere there was food smoking was not a problem. However, heading to a drinking establishment and the smoking could get quite heavy, could definitely smell it on the clothes at the end of the day.
latest report
Most restaurants and hotels in Saalbach are non-smoking, but most bars still have smoking areas, which of course then pollute the non-smoking section as well. Strangely, it seems to be the staff rather than the guests who smoke the most.

The call for a total ban (as reported above) is again being debated in Parliament and looks like it has a majority, so it may become law in the summer.
snow conditions
Do you mind not eating while I'm smoking NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

The call for a total ban (as reported above) is again being debated in Parliament and looks like it has a majority, so it may become law in the summer.

I'd be very interested in any updates on this. I've mainly skied in France and Italy (Andorra once) and I've always fancied trying Austria.

I was considering Austria for when i book our next ski trip (after the one in a couple of weeks) and I'd never even considered smoking indoors. I'd just assumed it would be non smoking like everywhere else.

This is certainly putting me off giving Austria a go.
ski holidays
@quinton, I found the bars in Saalbach quite smoky - but the worst one was the hotel bar! (Berger's Sport Hotel). It was like the whole Dutch smoking team were in there, my clothes stank! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
hardly notice the smoking tbh in many places, since there has been a partial ban for a few years anyway.
any reasonable size food establishment will have segregated smoking area or no smoking at all. any small bar is either no smoking or half way to Dutch standard choking fog.

almost every place I've been to has been no smoking indoors, except the city bars in Innsbruck where I've walked in and instantly remembered that they don't have an outright ban.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
@quinton, I found the bars in Saalbach quite smoky - but the worst one was the hotel bar! (Berger's Sport Hotel). It was like the whole Dutch smoking team were in there, my clothes stank! Evil or Very Mad

+1 Bobbys can be really bad as well.
latest report
I'm in St Johann right now.

My hotel allows smoking in the bar, but not in the restaurant, and I think this combination is pretty commonplace.

Several of the mountain restaurants do have smoking areas, usually (but not always) quite small.

And smoking seems to be commonplace in the circular mountain bars.
latest report
I'm pretty certain there isn't a law saying you have to smoke in Austria Toofy Grin
snow report
Link in English
http://www.thelocal.at/20150113/smoking-ban-for-austrian-restaurants-before-summer
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
And smoking seems to be commonplace in the circular mountain bars.

Recently had half a ski group stood outside the circular mountain bar while the other half remained inside, mainly because it was ruddy cold and not because they smoked. Would be good if smoking was totally stopped in public places. Smoke can't be good for techinal (Goretex, Event etc) jackets.
ski holidays
In St Anton its very rare for folks to smoke inside (albeit theres an odd old-school place that has a smoking area at the bar but if bad you just go somewhere else?!), I cant recall the last time I noticed it being an issue and i'm really smoking intolerant, everyone seems to go outside now just like in UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cannot think of an on-mountain restaurant in the Arlberg that still allows smoking inside. KriegerAlpe , in Lech, was one of the last hold-outs, but I am reasonably sure they are now also non-smoking.
snow report
Much better in flachau area this season
snow conditions
Don't they still allow smoking in Pomodorro??
snow conditions
My experience (2 weeks in Hintertux at the end of each of the last few seasons) has been that the current law is widely ignored and that resort bars are very smoky. Really unpleasant, like going through a time-warp to the bad old days.

On the mountain was fine though.
ski holidays
We were in Zellamsee and it was pretty bad this year , we really noticed it more than other years .
ski holidays
I was in Obergurgl for the first time in 4 years in December and found it astonishing that smoking inside is still tolerated. Sure, it's not everywhere and there are segregated areas, but the experience of one's clothes stinking of smoke in the morning is one that I thought had disappeared for ever.
latest report
Obertauern last year, it put my whole family off Austria. Even wrote to the Austrian tourist board, who suggested that to ban smoking would damage business! Back to Zermatt this year. Not to Austria till they bring a smoking ban in. Shame, I really like the country and the Skiing. Sad
snow conditions
Looks like there's a new push for a total smoking ban in public places, hopefully by the summer.

http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Bald_absolutes_Rauchverbot_in_Lokalen-Beschluss_vor_Sommer-Story-434619

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/s/steiermark/4637712/REGIERUNG-MACHT-DAMPF_Rauchverbot-in-Lokalen-noch-heuer-fix?from=suche.intern.portal
snow report
Last year there was loads of smoking inside bars. Very annoying - who wants to stink of smoke?!? Didn't notice it in restaurants tho.
snow report
There was hope that a complete smoking ban in bars/Restaurants would soon be implemented.
Plans revealed today indicate an implementation date of May 2018 Shocked

Link in German
http://derstandard.at/2000014110146/Entwurf-zu-Rauchverbot-steht
snow report
Even May 2018 is better then nothing. So I hope they will stick to it, and not have this crap they have now, where you are basically allowed to smoke everywhere, even if there's suppose to be some sort of smoking law, but with so many exceptions, that it's worthless.
snow report
Eh... to much of hopes... based on this what I have seen in few other articles, it's only for places where they serve food. So bars and coffee places will still be smokers paradise, and the rest of us can easily f***ck off if we don't like smoke.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy