Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer storage for ski gear.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some timely tips from fall line.

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/summer-ski-storage/

Or leave it buried under feet of snow then collect it in the summer like weathercam.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's is absolutely NO requirement to wind down the din settings on the bindings. I know a number of people who've done just that & forgotten to reset them & then pre-released on the first turn. Just leave the dins alone - the springs will not take a 'set' etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, interesting, I've never wound down my bindings but have heard it recommend incl a ski shop tech saying that they wound all there's down for the summer, unless he was winding me up.
Making sure boots a dry before putting them away is sound though, I once packed a tent wet and forgot to dry it before I used it again. It was all black and basically ruined.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's not one binding tech manual that says or recommends winding off the dins. The nearest is Dynafit who state that their toe bindings should be closed when not in use - but they give no requirements/recommendations for the heel dins.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, closed you say..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
@spyderjon, closed you say..

Yep, tech toe bindings should be stored closed - as though they had a boot in them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marker advise winding down DIN settings according to their website.

http://marker.net/faq

Personally I think it's overkill on modern bindings for most skiers and it can be lethal if not re-adjusted before use, as Spyderjon says.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosshatch wrote:
Marker advise winding down DIN settings according to their website......

But there's nothing in their tech manual which is the important document. Their website is obviously put together by their Marketing Dept as there's quite a few errors on their website concerning their own binding specs rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, if I remebember correctly you tested some bindings which you had left on 12 for a number of years - put them on the din tester and they were spot on? Springs can lose their temper but only if they pass a certain point of stress - the yield point. But the mechanism which most people have in mind is creep - which needs a temperature element and a compressive force element. See

https://www.quora.com/Do-springs-lose-energy-after-being-compressed-for-a-long-time

There are many factors at play - material, shape, etc - binding springs are small, stubby, thick, high tensile. I agree with Jon, but you might want to open the heel bindings if you want to. Not sure that there's a real need but at the very least it gets you looking at the bindings, since a post and pre season look can be important.

Note that all bindings live for a year or so after manufacture, on skis or in boxes, usually set on 3-5. I.e. They come wound up. But it's not the practice which tells us what to do, it's the physics.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy