Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge maintenance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've just bought myself my first cheap second hand board and the edges feel pretty dull and look fairly rusty, I don't think the board has been used for several years now.
I've been reading about edge tuning, maintenance etc and so do I need an edge tuner or do I just need this magical "stone" I keep reading about if I want to just sharpen the edges?

Am I right in saying the edge tuner is used to change the angle of the edges, but not sharpen them?
The stone is used to sharpen the edges

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The answer to the meaning of life and edges resides here.... http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide.html#
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fredbob, do you board at a dry slope or dome? Get someone (good) to go through it with you rather than doing it yourself with online videos or guides
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fredbob, you need a side edge tuner and diamond file to sharpen edges but surely the board needs waxing also?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moseyp wrote:
@fredbob, do you board at a dry slope or dome?

Good question, if your riding indoors "dull" edges aren't a huge issue. If your hitting boxes and kickers they can benefit your riding (helps to avoid catching an edge on boxes and when landing rotations).

That said its nice to have a board that turns too!

Pick up a cheap kit (£20-£50) and have a go at a basic wax and edge. Its hard to ruin a board (just go easy on it and don't use an angle grinder!!!) and after your first wax job you'll no doubt see where the wax didn't take and learn for next time. Try a simple scourer on the rust and move on iron wool if its really stubborn. Rust is only really cosmetic and just riding it will help remove it!

Finally love it, hug it and take it to bed with you! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I dont go to a dome or dry slope, theres none where I live in Tenerife

I emailed Jon from thepisteoffice website and he recommends his beginner kit for £95 - http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/tuning-equipment-kits/basic-tuning-kit-detail.html

I'm not sure I need everything, but then maybe its better off to get everything properly now?
One thing about that kit is that it only mentions 88 or 87 degrees but from what I've read as an intermediate I want 89-90 degree side edges?

Yeah the board definitely needs waxing, I was going to get that done in a shop the next time I go, but maybe I should learn how to do that as well? How many people wax their own boards?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You definitely won't need those brake bands.

Waxing is easy, you can do that with some online help
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fredbob wrote:
I dont go to a dome or dry slope, theres none where I live in Tenerife

I emailed Jon from thepisteoffice website and he recommends his beginner kit for £95 - http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/tuning-equipment-kits/basic-tuning-kit-detail.html

I'm not sure I need everything, but then maybe its better off to get everything properly now?
One thing about that kit is that it only mentions 88 or 87 degrees but from what I've read as an intermediate I want 89-90 degree side edges?

Yeah the board definitely needs waxing, I was going to get that done in a shop the next time I go, but maybe I should learn how to do that as well? How many people wax their own boards?

You will need most of the stuff from the kit - certainly all the major and costly bits.

Side edge out the factory will be set to 1 or 2 degrees. I set all our stuff to 3. If you google you will get a few opinions. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

You DIY either to save financially (I have a family - so 4 sets of ski's and two boards to maintain) and/or because you like to look after your own kit and not have to worry about a shop doing unnecessary or shoddy work. I'd say there are a fair number of DIYers on here but I am sure the majority of folks use a shop. That is if they own rather than hire which is a whole other thing to consider.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is the kit I use with a couple of extras I've picked up over the years...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dakine-Quick-Tune-Tune-Accessories-Assorted/dp/B005IEBILI?tag=amz07b-21
A cheap travel iron and you've everything for a basic service.
I've done ptex base repairs but its not something Id do often.
I'm sure the piste office gear is superior but when your learning how to service I doubt you'll get the most out of it all.

If you've the cash choose whatever you like, if your on a budget I assure you that kit will get you going...and prob keep you going for a good while!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just don't forget that the majority of these kits are aimed at ski owners and the scrapers included won't be wide enough for a snowboard.

I bought all of my components separately, including an large perspex scraper for my boards.

The Dakine edge tuner is really all you need and is simple to use.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HOW MUCH £95 are you mad?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyway, don't waste your money. I've been doing my own boards for 5 years now. I bought a non-steam iron from ebay £3, cold and medium temp wax £15, sainsburys scourers £1, large Dakine scraper £7, gummy stone from hardware store £1, eco base cleaner £7 and edge tuner for £5. The rest is gimmicks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm with Gainz - cheap stuff works for me. Dakine edge tool with a couple cheap diamond knife sharpening stones that fit in it, cheap perspex scraper, £5 iron, scouring pad, nothing fancy but it keeps my board feeling nice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does your edge tuner look something like this - http://images.the-house.com/dakine-edgetuner-tool-blu-12.jpg
This Demon edge tuner is the cheapest one I can find - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demon-Edge-Tuner-Ski-Snowboard-File-and-Brush-88-and-90-degree-DS7100-/121818328116?hash=item1c5cf02c34:g:M6wAAOSwFGNWTLns will this do the job ok?

Are the removable files all standard lengths? If I get a Dakine edge tuner can I buy files from another manufacturer an expect them to fit?

Do you use a base edge tuner as well or do you just take the file out and run it along the base of the board on its own?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If I get a Dakine edge tuner can I buy files from another manufacturer an expect them to fit?

Yes. The tuner will take variable widths.

Quote:

Do you use a base edge tuner as well or do you just take the file out and run it along the base of the board on its own?

Don't touch the base edge.
snow report
@Gainz, ...actually, having used loads of tuning kit on skis and having no commercial interest in selling it, I think 95gbp is entirely reasonable.

Cheap iron - uneven temps, potential damage to board, potential damage to lungs from overheated wax
Toko, holmenkol wax iron - finely tuned thermostat, faster, better and safer application

No sidewall plane - useless edge filing, inaccurate and difficult filing, clogged files
Sidewall plane - essential on skis to remove sidewall prior to filing

Cheap edger with small file - useable but not particularly stable, small file wears swiftly, jumps off when applying pressure and takes the 'skintuning lump' out of yout thumb knuckle
Edge guide with selection of files - can use huge files, fast, dependable and precise

Of course I have used cheap gear when I have had to. But is there a difference between cheap and the 95 kit if Jon Coster - hell yes. Is it worth it? Sure is.
snow report
I would definitely recommend a waxing iron. They make the job so much quicker and easier.
ski holidays
Does anyone know the dimensions of the file that comes with the Dakine or Demon edge tuner? I can't find any details on their websites at all
ski holidays
just measured my dakine file... it's 70mm x 25mm x 4(ish)mm
snow report
perfect thats what I wanted to hear, thanks a lot for that
ski holidays
Has anyone used xcman products? In particular their washing irons and diamond files http://www.xcman.net/wax-iron_c9

They are a direct from China place so cheap and have a waxing kit including iron for Just $60
ski holidays
@fredbob, I've taken a look at the XCman site and the blue iron looks exactly like the Dakine iron:

http://www.snowlab.co.uk/dakine-adjustable-tuning-iron-euro.html?gclid=CN3W6Kz13dMCFeiT7Qod4moNgg#.WQ8k9mM3BHg

although I use and prefer the Toko base model iron (30gbp in places), I have used the Dakine iron a lot and it is perfectly fine - not such fine temp control as the Toko but still acceptable.
latest report
fredbob wrote:
......They are a direct from China place so cheap and have a waxing kit including iron for Just $60

And on which you'll pay duty, VAT & a customs clearance charge.

Buy once buy right!
snow conditions
I've never paid any import or tax or fees of any kind when I order from China
ski holidays
fredbob wrote:
I've never paid any import or tax or fees of any kind when I order from China

Imports in to the UK/EU from China of a value of over £15 are subject to VAT. Duty may also be payable depending upon the product.

If you've never paid then you've dodged the bullet which is unusual.
snow report
From personal experience stuff from China like that will be grossly inferior even though it looks the part.
ski holidays
Edges are relative ......

Depends what you ride.
latest report
Double post ....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 9-05-17 11:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fredbob, this is online for 39gbp

https://www.atbshop.co.uk/snowboard-tuning-accessories/dakine-adjustable-wax-tuning-iron?gclid=CKrJ3faP4tMCFdXNGwodlBcDqw

But then this is available for less in places

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=toko+wax+iron&tag=amz07b-21&index=aps&hvadid=164983748799&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9267575335324799062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060160&hvtargid=kwd-2329997311&ref=pd_sl_18e5jjp24x_b

But I go back to Jon Coster's kit - heaps better than the cheap packs that there are around. The thing is, the tools from him just work better and last longer - which is important for me when I have a load of skis to service....
snow report
Jon's kit is pretty good and, while not cheap, I would say not bad value too. Worth pointing out though that, as a snowboarder, you don't need the brake retainers and you could do with a wider scraper. I'm sure he would substitute appropriately if you asked nicely.

For myself, I actually have a really nice Burton/R.E.D. branded kit that I bought years and years ago from cheapsnowboards.com (long gone, I think), who used to sell off brand-new, past-season kit at bargain prices. Think I paid about £25 or so (RRP more like £100) and it came with a really bling file guide, 2 files, 3 stones (gummy, abrasive, diamond), wax, ptex, etc. I've added bits and pieces to it over the years, especially when I raced SBX a couple of seasons ago (brushes, bling waxes, etc.) but I still mostly use the old kit, particularly as it came in a really good-quality case which still holds almost everything.
latest report
@valais2, never had a problem with my iron (touch wood) all my kit does the job well. Bought my scraper off of jibtuning from ebay. I guess if you're a pro you'll notice little differences but not for most people.
snow conditions
@Gainz, sounds good. Jibtuning scrapers are indeed fine, have a couple and they sharpen up well. Re iron, I guess you have carefully built up good skills and avoid overheating the wax and base.
ski holidays
fredbob wrote:

Am I right in saying the edge tuner is used to change the angle of the edges, but not sharpen them?
The stone is used to sharpen the edges

Thanks

Jon's tuning guide, linked by anarchicsaltire in post 2 is worth a read. There's other online guides and video guides on youtube if you google them.

The edge tuner is used to both change the edge angle and to sharpen/polish, it depends what file you put in it.
You stick a standard file in when you are changing the edge angle as you are removing more material, or if the edges have gotten particularly blunt. You stick a diamond file or several diamond files varying grades in order) in the tuner if you just want to quickly sharpen/polish. You can use a gummy stone to remove the hanging burr left after sharpening.
An alu oxide stone in the tuner needs to be used first on any bits of the edges that have taken a hard knock, otherwise the file can't cut it.

A soft gummy stone can be used for getting rid of edge rust, which typically builds up from the moisture where its been in the bag on the way home.

I got my first tune kit from edge and wax some years back, when it existed. It came with an adjustable Holmenkol edge guide that would do 0 to 5 degrees. I originally used to sharpen at +1 edge bevel (89 degrees), as that was the default for my board. Most boards have a 1 degree base bevel too (+1 base and +1 side, gives an effective 90 degree edge, tilted up by 1 degree).
I increased the edge bevel to +2 (88 deg) and then +3 (87) over a couple of trips. I don't do much in the park so preferred the extra edge hold on hard pack and icy conditions. I've since settled on 87, giving the +3 side edge bevel, so I've now bought a fixed moonflex 87 field guide from Jon's shop. However the adjustable one was useful for the first couple of years as it gave me the flexibility to play around to find the edge angle I wanted. Now I'm settled on +3 I prefer using the fixed moonflex edge guide as it's more solid.

Get the proper stuff is my advice. You're talking the difference between 50 quid and a 100 quid maybe, which is nothing given you probably have a 400 pound board, 150 bindings, 200 boots, and anywhere between 150 and 1000+ on snowboard wear, helmets, goggles, gloves etc. That way when you need replacement files or different stone types you can easily buy the ones that fit. I've expanded my diamond and stone collection and I've also since purchased the base welding tool after picking up a couple of core shots to the base. (that tool paid for itself in about 2 repairs vs taking in to a shop).

A hundred quid kit pays for itself in about 5 in resort services, and the waxing you will give it will be far superior than a quick shop or resort worker will probably give it.
I now do my board and wife's skis for two trips a year, and give the edges a mid-week sharpen in resort as required. The original investment has long been paid for.

Just find out what your board is set too first, probably +1 +1 (unless a prior shop service has changed it), and have a go at sharpening before you start thinking about changing angles etc.
latest report
My mate is going to go halves with me when he has the money so we are going to get the good stuff from Jon.
Thanks for everyones replies
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy