Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children's race skis advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a pair of skis new or used for my son. I snowboard and know next to nothing about skiing, however he is super keen, has caught the ski bug and had earned himself a suitable pair.
He is 5 years old (almost 6), weighs 22kg and is 115cm tall. His boots are 235 for their binding setting.
He has spent the last 16 months on a pair of second hand 100cm K2 Indy twin tips. They have served him well and he has been great carrying/cleaning etc himself.
He has has 2 weeks away on the slopes and has raced all year here in the dry slope fun races.
He has progressed nicely and therefore I'd like to get him a more suitable ski.
Will a race style ski make any difference to him? Does he need a bigger size?
I've tried to research them but can't work out if any of the childrens skis available are any better than what he has. It seems that they get a lot more technical at lengths of 120+ Is this correct?
Would welcome any advice whatsoever. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not just leave him on the same skis but 112cm length? I think going up to 120cm could be too much of a jump. There is a good second hand market in kids skis, so you can buy the next size up and sell the next season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not jump up to race skis just yet, as it is equally important to enjoy doing a few tricks at this age - for which the twin tips are fine. Just keep the edges sharp and the bases clean. Race skis and bindings are also heavy. Stick to something between forehead and nose height - however, coaches and others at races are a good source of advice (and old pairs of skis).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you to you both for your valued feedback. His current skis are around his nose so sounds like there's no immediate rush for the larger size. I think I read somewhere about racing skis having a narrower waist so they can switch edges quicker during the slalom??
I'll get them waxed (Datawax Polar GX for dry slope?) and sharpened ready for this months outing.
Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think I read somewhere about racing skis having a narrower waist so they can switch edges quicker during the slalom??

At five I wouldn't be greatly concerned with this. I'd agree with the other poster, if he's having fun on the twin tips then leave him on them and keep them in as reasonable a condition as you can considering. I'd use any cheap wax, don't worry too much, it won't do a lot for old dry slope skis

What I would definitely do though is talk to a coach in the club. They'll be able to give you advice specific to your son, knowing what he's like and what's making him happy and keeping him skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the dry slope most kids and adults ski very short - 155 for adults and maybe 10-20 shorter than normal for kids. E.g. My 10 yr old/30kg/135 tall has just outgrown his 115 and moved to 124. He skis 140 most of the time on snow. My daughter (20 weeks on snow, 122 tall) is on 107 or 115 on plastic. Thus for a 115 tall kid with 2 weeks on snow, 120 would be very long.

Most of the kids at our slope swap around and try each other's skis which is an easy way to see what works. I think Atomic make some of the shortest proper kids race skis, starting at 115cm, but they may be too stiff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks again for your help. He seems happy enough on his current skis. They have monkeys on them. What else could he possibly need? Smile
I like the idea of trying others at the club though. It doesn't sound like a racing pair are necessary and therefore wouldn't be a good investment at this point. I'll wait and see what appears on his list to Santa. Thank you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No need for race skis yet. Piste skis 100-110ish will be good for plastic. When he needs 120s in a year or so you can think about race skis. You will be able to spot the real things easily as they are twice the price of the others Shocked

By then he will probably be a much better skier than you are a boarder and will be able to advise you what to buy him wink

PS I think Elan do proper race skis in shorter lengths as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monkeys, cute! Talk to the other parents too, I don't know what club you're in but you'll probably find it easy enough to try out other kids skis and find something that suits him when the time comes to get a good pair
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Musher, he's already better than me. Spent all last week chasing him round Tignes. Even considered throwing him on a board, just to give myself a fighting chance 😆
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freshtr@x wrote:
Thanks again for your help. He seems happy enough on his current skis. They have monkeys on them. What else could he possibly need? Smile
I like the idea of trying others at the club though. It doesn't sound like a racing pair are necessary and therefore wouldn't be a good investment at this point. I'll wait and see what appears on his list to Santa. Thank you.

Hi,

We don't ski on dry slopes and i don't know if there is a difference or not but my son skis on exclusively machine groomed runs. he some times does half pipe, moguls and terrain park but not very much. Anyway, we were in almost exactly the same situation as you are in. I waited until his (then) current skis were at or below chin level (I think they were at collar bone level and bought him ones that were at the top of his head for the following season. He was on the vanilla rossignol cap style hero skis. I think they refer to these as race skis but really are not anything special. they just aren't twin tips and are for groomers so what else are they going to call them? anyway. He was complaining that when he went too fast, he was getting clattering in the tips and felt it was not stable. I got him the next ski up that was sandwich construction and he never complained again. I asked his coach if he thought they were too long or to stiff etc... and he said just see if they turn out and he did great on them.

If yours is not complaining about the skis meeting his needs I would say leave them until they are out grown. maybe next year go for the race skis if he is serious about racing? (btw I am assuming when you say race skis you are not talking about the super high end skis)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's a big difference. It's why you see 6' men racing "GS" on 155cm ladies SL skis

The surface is also not one that you'd want to put brand new skis on, and prep is different too (not many kids in the alps are using furniture polish for wax and intentionally creating burrs on their edges)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy