Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez, Now somewhere in AUSTRIA!! HELP??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

My most recent ski holiday was Alpe D'Huez, I booked to go as 2 of my friends invited me last minute and I thought it was a cheap enough deal. I regret going now, as I could of used the money I spent on saving for my Austria trip, although I enjoyed it (it is what you make it), I didn't really like the resort nor the overall 'feel' of the place. Before I booked Alpe D'Huez I had my sights set on Austria 100%, see thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120901&highlight= and now want to go 100% no silly distractions!!

Where in Austria has 'guaranteed' or the best chance of snow in January 2018? I will want to put a deposit down by the end of summer this year. That is risky I know, but it will give me something to look forward to!
A resort that has quality restaurants, we are both very fussy eaters and are hard to please when it comes to eating so good food is a must. Also nice bakeries, patisseries etc.
A beginner friendly resort with lots of greens to cruise and lots of harder blues, picturesque and has good views all around (somewhere that isn't a concrete jungle).
We dont drink alcohol so 'party' resorts are definitely not for us, we dont want to be somewhere that is full of drunk and rowdy people, but would still like some nightlife so that it gives us something to do of an evening as is not completely dead.
I forgot to add - we will be booking with a tour operator

Thanks

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NewSki, when in January are you going? By the end of January, unless you're really unlucky, almost everywhere should have plenty of snow.

There's no such thing as green runs in Austria, so you need to look for a resort with plenty of blues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
denfinella wrote:
@NewSki, when in January are you going? By the end of January, unless you're really unlucky, almost everywhere should have plenty of snow.

There's no such thing as green runs in Austria, so you need to look for a resort with plenty of blues.
Was thinking the 20th, so somewhere that is begginer friendly (I don't class myself as intermediste just yet) with easier blues all the way up to the hardest blues and easiest reds will suit??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied in a few Austrian resorts so i'll comment on those but obviously these plenty to chose from at that time of year, late Jan is usually pretty safe for piste skiing. I realise it's a sweeping generalisation but Austria isn't the place I instantly think of for great food, that said there are some pretty upmarket places available.

Kitzbuhel could be a good suggestion, despite it's terrifying race piste most of the pistes are good red and blues. It has upmarket places to eat and plenty of nightlife. It's not very ski in/ski out as it's a proper town but you can stay near the slopes and places will have hotel shuttles etc.

I'd avoid St.Anton given your level but look at Lech, though that could be a bit quiet.

Obergurgl has great pistes for your level but again could be a touch quiet.

I love skiing in Austria, i hope you have a great time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Zell am See? It's low, but you've got access to the glacier if the snow down below isn't great, nice old town, some good restaurants and bars without being too heavy, and some decent things to do away from the hill. Plus there are plenty of tour ops servicing the place, so good choice on offer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given your requirement for it being TO based I would look at somewhere like Ellmau. Nice village, big enough not to be dead, but not also known for completely banging nightlife (although a good night can be had!).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech.
Saalbach.
Soelden.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saalbach or Hinterglemm. Galtur/Ischgl maybe - Kappl down the road would suit yiir needs better but not on uk tour ops
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The good news for you is that January is as good a month for conditions any. Austria is well served by travel operators and January should see prices near their lowest (certainly cheaper than France). I also think that food is top rate in most resorts I have been to both on the mountain and in villages.

Places which give you good variety and fit your spec for runs and aesthetics are Saalbach, Zell am See, Alpbach, Kitzbuhel, Westendorf, Ellmau and Seefeld. There are sure to be plenty more but I've stuck to places I have skied. See which of these have hotels at the best rates, check with Tripadvisor and go for it. Enjoy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
is this link accurate in terms of where it recommends for what? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/Best-Austrian-ski-resorts/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NewSki, Any snowhead could write a similar article but choose three different resorts. It's an opinion piece and personally i'd trust independent snowhead users rather than journalists paid to visit certain hotels or resorts.

Alpbach is beautiful and has some lovely skiing however, it appears in a vast majority of these "best of" reports. Is that because it is THAT good or is it because the tourist office has a large marketing budget?

Food for thought. Snowheads opinions over Journalists. Usually.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, @grumpygargoyle, @Richard_Sideways, @hammerite, @Whitegold, @boabski, @EdYarker, @AthersT, Thank you all for your contribution, I will research every resort mentioned, only thing I'm worried about is booking a resort and it being a let down by not having what I am looking for!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NewSki, here's a trip report I did for Zell am See from New Year 14/15 http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2644859&highlight=zell+trip#2644859
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NewSki, also Waidring/Steinplatte. It is a small resort, but the skiing is pretty much snowsure at that time of year.
My trip report from Feb this year.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130989
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpbach, also very chocolate box
snow conditions
@NewSki, If Saalbach is on your short list, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my comprehensive guide to the resort, about which other Snowheads have given me very kind and appreciative feedback. I'm sure that it will give you a good flavour of the place - large and varied ski area, good for beginners/intermediates, very pretty village and scenery, some excellent, reasonably-priced eateries, and fairly rollicking apres-ski (but you don't need to join in if you don't feel inclined).
ski holidays
Obergurgl is currently top of my list! with Seefeld and Alpbach second, although I am worried about the last two choices regarding no snow in late January (I am aiming for a resort above 1000m). Lech's hotels are too expensive for me.

What do you think of my choices so far?

Where else can I add to my list as I am not 100% set on any of them yet?
snow conditions
@Whitegold, I looked at Solden but it says that it is a 'wild' resort
ski holidays
Regarding picturesque/'chocolate box' and a NON party resort where would you NOT recommend? Maybe I can narrow more choices down this way!
snow report
@NewSki, apres ski is just a tradition in Austria.

You will find that all of the decent sized chocolate box resorts in Austria will also have an element of "party". Don't mistake this for loud, drunken and distasteful behaviour. Most apres-ski is finished by mid evening and if not its usually confined to well sound proofed and often underground pubs/clubs. Even somewhere like the "rowdy" Saalbach is actually quite quiet outside of the main street past 8 or 9pm. Yes, there will be one or two exceptions to this but don't get too hung up on it.
ski holidays
NewSki wrote:
@Whitegold, I looked at Solden but it says that it is a 'wild' resort

Well savaloy joy certainly seemed to think so.... Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
NewSki wrote:
Obergurgl is currently top of my list! with Seefeld and Alpbach second, although I am worried about the last two choices regarding no snow in late January (I am aiming for a resort above 1000m). Lech's hotels are too expensive for me.

Where else can I add to my list as I am not 100% set on any of them yet?

Don't feel the need to go high. As others have said, unless you are incredibly unlucky, everywhere will have snow by the 3rd week of Jan.
snow report
This suggestion may be totally useless as it is not what you have asked for, however the Dolomites although not currently in Austria were for a portion of their history or at least part of them were and many of the villages have exactly the characteristics you are looking for being chocolate boxy, pretty, good views, good food good blue runs very reliable artificial snow and served by Tour operators.
snow report
Lech would be top of my list in your position.

Ischgl/Galtur would be worth a look. Galtur is a great place for an early intermediate to work on their skills without idiots bombing past all the time. There is a free bus between Ischgl and Galtur. You could stay in either. Ischgl is trying to live down it's rep for raucous night life and is working on reducing public drunkeness. I have skiied there a couple of times and never found the place threatening or annoying. But they do have young ladies dancing on the tables at happy hour. You will be happy with the dining on offer.
latest report
Why is it so hard choosing?
snow report
NewSki wrote:

Really don't think Obergurgl fits your chocolate box village with lots of patisseries/etc brief! Sölden doesn't either - it's ugly as sin (and not the fun sort of sin).

Alpbach would be a good choice, as would Westendorf. Maybe Schruns (Silvretta-Montafon ski area) too.
snow report
From what you have wrote these will be my favorites (been and skied in all of these):

- most "chocolate box" definately Alpbach. Traditional, true Austrian feel, now extended with Niederau. Also "ticks your ski level.
- best atmosphere this goes to Zell am See. Fantastic location by the lake. Much much more choice of restaurants than Alpbach. A bit more condensed in town centre due to lack of space (Alpbach wins a bit here). Most friendly people in Austria (lived there for more than a year and can vouch). Ski area enough for beginners but just in case there are problems with snow you have Kaprun (snow sure glacier and skiing over 3k above sea level) with 30mins bus ride away.
- Lech will be most the expensive but if you dont mind leaving 100 euro for exceptional meal (not that much "international" as Zell) you will love it. Definately the best ski area out of three.

Dont worry about snow it will be fine everywhere in January
ski holidays
To me alpbach would be perfect. I am a regular visitor with the family. There is not masses of skiing but for early intermediates the should be more than enough. Restaurants are all good with a lovely atmosphere. I have also been to zell, Saalbach, soll, ellmau, and while I think Saalbach is my favourite resort I go there on a boys trip. Alpbach ticks all the boxes for what you are looking for. If you are going with a tour op I would recommend the alpbacherhof or boglerhof
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am posting an update!! I haven't booked anywhere yet but I have had 6 'touch up' lessons in the past 3months just to get a feel for it again and am loving it!!!
snow conditions
Touch up lessons to get a feel? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just go to Zell am See.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, ...and loving it Very Happy
I thought the same earlier but decided to wait for someone else to comment as I didn't want to create the impression that I'm an old perv who's been watching too many Carry On films Blush
snow conditions
@NewSki - I would recommend that you reconsider Austria as a place for your specific search criteria. Food can be a bit basic and stodgy for your taste and they don't particularly 'do' easy runs. I would look at Italy for both food and runs. They also don't go for wild parties but have lots of better class nightlife venues. Have a look at Val Gardena in the Dolomites.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy