Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge damage - does it matter?

Poster: A snowHead
I was unpacking my skis today after the EoSB, when I noticed that one of my edges seems to have twisted up and out slightly. The base is now slightly proud of the edge (maybe half a mm, no more) , and there is a small gap between the edge and the base (again, less than half a mm). The damage starts at the point where the tail rocker starts (Nordica Soul Riders, so there is rocker under foot, and tip & tail rocker) and continues back for about 15 cm; after that, the edge looks normal again. I don't know how it happened, although I did wipe out rather spectacularly on the final run home (just before the Club Med) so I suspect it may have been then. There's no obvious damage to the ptex to indicate hitting something, but given how fast and hard I went down, I think I must have.
Any thoughts on what to do? The skis could probably do with a grind, which might sort out the base/edge level, but it'll still leave a gap, and the base edge angle may be off. I could swap the skis so it's on the outside edge - easy enough to do with these skis as the graphics are left & right. I could ignore it, and I may or may not be good enough to notice (it's on my weaker side). Or it could be an excuse for n+1 Very Happy (though I love these skis, and n+1 would ideally be a slalom-type ski which isn't a like-for-like replacement).

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied for 4 years on a pair of ex club racer SL skis with a massive dent and full side edge break... haven't noticed any real difference for recreational skiing. You are good to go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't look great - I would send them to Jon at the Piste Office for further examination, I suspect they maybe your new rock skis!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Charliee, Unfortunately Jon is the small matter of 1770 km (according to Google maps) away from me. If only I'd noticed before leaving the EoSB.

So, I have two diametrically opposite answers. Any advance on either? I prefer @Scarpa's at the moment... Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with @Scarpa, I ski on delammed skis all the time - not ideal but it's fine. Just sharpie in arrows on your topsheet and keep it on the outside
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd do a big base grind to try and get everything flat, then fill the gap with ptex, then file the edges to required degrees.

Or get a new pair in the sales.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mgrolf, Just use that ski on one side all the time so that edge is always on the outside. You hardly use your outside edge when it comes to places where it matters, i.e on ice, so no problem.
I think I mentioned somewhere once that @Scarpa sometimes gets it right...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mgrolf, the line in the ptex can easily get repaired, it's hard to see from those pics where the edge has lifted. Are you sure the edge has lifted, or could perhaps you have run down a rock, which has caused the line and lifted the actual base a fraction and the edge is actually ok?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf, hmmm...

Both answers might be right...

If you just whacked it and bent the edge then a grind, fill and edge will give you a ski which will go on for many years. I have a coupe of pairs with edge damage which have lasted a decade and not become any worse. And that's the key...if the edge has become unlocked from its base - take a look online at the way the serrated inner edge is locked into the structure of the ski ... then it most likely will begin to fail pretty fast. You won't be able to get access to the serrated edge without lifting the ptex base so take it to a trusted tech for evaluation, and use it but monitor it closely.

But note the cost of grind, edge etc - could come to quite a bit depending where you are - may be better to buy some sale skis - I just bought Scott black majics for 299 with bindings - and use the Nordicas as rock skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, @valais2, I bought some Scott Black majics at £249 to use as rock skis - I tried them out last week, they hold a good edge but flap about at speed!
I think @kitenski, has a point and might be on the money - does the edge move at all if you prod/push it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliee, yes I have seen reviews re flapping - I use mine for less than mach1 hurtling and more for edge hold fiddling about - I have some steel girder Volkls for letting go ....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliee, @valais2, exactly the reason I'm looking at a new pair of skis to relegate my Black Majics to fridge use.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@mgrolf, the line in the ptex can easily get repaired, it's hard to see from those pics where the edge has lifted. Are you sure the edge has lifted, or could perhaps you have run down a rock, which has caused the line and lifted the actual base a fraction and the edge is actually ok?

I'm not sure it's the edge that has lifted. The difference is subtle, and you could be right that the base is the problem.

valais2 wrote:

But note the cost of grind, edge etc - could come to quite a bit depending where you are

That's one thing I can be sure about, nothing is cheap in Sweden!

I've looked more closely, and the edge seemed to still be attached firmly but it squeezed back into position, closing up the gap, without much effort - just finger pressure (and I'm not very strong). That makes me wonder how well it really is attached. I'll take the skis in to the local shop and see what can be done. If they're rock skis now it's not the end of the world, just a shame because they've been so much fun to ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Although difficult to tell from the pictures, I'd suggest the base, edge and sidewall need epoxying back together to seal the ski from moisture. Happens for various reasons.

Pretty pointless just relying on the grind to correct the raised base material as the ski won't be fixed properly and a fair bit of material will need to be removed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mgrolf, hmmmm... obviously difficult to tell from a distance but if you can push the edge itself in and out that suggests that it is detached - a sort of acl injury for the ski - that would be Not Good - fixable but serious since catch it on a rock and very interesting things will then happen - so I do suggest you get a tech to look at it.
snow conditions
@valais2, yep, I wasn't happy when I could push the edge in again so easily. Sad
We'll see what the tech says.
ski holidays
Oh no, hope they fix easily ready for next year Smile
latest report
Nearly 7 months later, I've finally got round to taking these to the tech for an opinion. Not good Sad. Edge separated from the base, so needs gluing and then a big base grind to level everything up. Just the small matter of 1300 SEK (about £120). He also said that the (wood) core would not like getting wet.
Looks like I have new rock skis, and a more pressing need for n+1 snowHead
snow report
I would be surprised if can't get at least another 50 decent days out of them without noticing any real loss in performance. The wood won't like getting wet, but unless you're using them 2-3 days a week over the season it will dry with no disastrous effects.
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
Nearly 7 months later, I've finally got round to taking these to the tech for an opinion. Not good Sad. Edge separated from the base, so needs gluing and then a big base grind to level everything up. Just the small matter of 1300 SEK (about £120). He also said that the (wood) core would not like getting wet.

You're being ripped off. That'd be £60 absolute tops from me including being fully serviced.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 8-11-17 20:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
mgrolf wrote:

You're being ripped off. That'd be £60 absolute tops from including being fully serviced.

Clearly, you haven’t lived in Sweden Toofy Grin
snow report
@spyderjon, sadly the postage to & from you would end up near enough the same. To be fair to the shop, the price does include a full service.
@Themasterpiece, Laughing
@clarky999, I will definitely see what happens, no loss to try.
snow report
My price included a full service!
snow report
@spyderjon, but the postage from & to Sweden would eat up most of the difference. Living in Sweden has its advantages, but the general cost of stuff isn't one of them.
snow report
If it's not economic to get a professional to do the job, and so they are otherwise unusable, then you surely have nothing to lose by having a go yourself with some suitable epoxy to refix the edge.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy