Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit TLT advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There are some really good deals at present on the TLT6 mountain CR boot in what would appear to be my size. Having been doing short hikes the last couple of seasons in my Salomon Quest Pro 130s I'm finding it difficult to resist the thought of more flexibility and much less weight! I already have Radical 2 bindings so seems like a good idea.
Obviously not such a good idea to buy boots mail order Confused , so a couple of questions for you guys....
I've always found that Salomon boots fit my widish flatish but otherwise "average" feet really well so how does the Dynafit last compare? How custom punter mouldable are the CR liners ? I've read that you should go up half a size for touring boots - is that half a UK size or ??
All thoughts gratefully received and, yes, I know I should see a proper bootfitter. Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gvj, In general, Dynafit boots are narrow - too narrow for me. I notice your location is Petit Bornand. If that's the case, pop down to Au Vieux Campeur in Sallanches, and they'll have a wide selection of boots you can try on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never tried on dynafit boots so can't comment on that.

On sizing up for touring, I'm no expert but I think it is more subtle than going up a size. I'd definitely say it is worth having more room around the toes - a close performance fit that means your toes jam against the boot unless you are flexed forward would not be fun for long days of skinning and hiking. But you don't want them loose around the heels because heel lift when skinning = rubs and blisters. Ideally I think you want a snug fit around the heel with a roomy toe box. Personally I wouldn't buy without trying them on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gvj wrote:
There are some really good deals at present on the TLT6 mountain CR boot in what would appear to be my size. Having been doing short hikes the last couple of seasons in my Salomon Quest Pro 130s I'm finding it difficult to resist the thought of more flexibility and much less weight! I already have Radical 2 bindings so seems like a good idea.
Obviously not such a good idea to buy boots mail order Confused , so a couple of questions for you guys....
I've always found that Salomon boots fit my widish flatish but otherwise "average" feet really well so how does the Dynafit last compare? How custom punter mouldable are the CR liners ? I've read that you should go up half a size for touring boots - is that half a UK size or ??
All thoughts gratefully received and, yes, I know I should see a proper bootfitter. Cheers.

I went down a full UK size from Full Tilt alpine boots to TLT 5 touring boots.

My liners are thin as, very little to mold.

See a fitter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it helps, I've just moved from a pair of Salomon Impact 8 alpine boots to Dynafit neo px cp and I took the risk and went for the same size (27.5).. I did try on a brand new pair of my mates Radical CR boots in 28.5 to get a feel for whether I needed to think about different sizing between the manufacturers and I knew instantly they were too big.

Only done a week in resort on the Neos and they were spot on, great being able to walk around normally at lunchtime too.. especially when the bog is down in the basement NehNeh

My only slight issue was that they are a little narrow around the heel, but only on one side as I've got one foot longer than the other..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have both the TLT6 in 28 and the Quest PRO 130 in 28.5. I think the Quests are totally outstanding and perfectly fine for climbing, apart from the weight I'm not entirely sure the TLT's are better in any practical way. I've only had the Quest for a month or so and use them (as I intended) for climbs around 500-700m, an absolute joy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gvj wrote:
I've read that you should go up half a size for touring boots.

Obviously the best advice is see a boot fitter however, it's worth bearing in mind that there are no half sizes in shell size when it comes to ski boots. Depending on your size, going up half a size might push you into a larger shell size which could be too big.

For example, if you were a 27.5, that would be the same size shell as a 27.0. Going up half a size will put you in a 28.0 shell, i.e. a 1cm longer shell. That can take you from a decent performance fit to a baggy nightmare. Go small and get the shell blown, it's easier than making a shell smaller!

(Dynafit and Salomon both change shell sizes on the whole number, i.e. 27.0 and 27.5 is the same shell, Scarpa change on the half size, 27.5 and 28.0 are the same shell.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was advised against TTLs as my feet are wide and it would have been difficult to impossible to stretch the boot shell enough due to a rivet that was in the way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the feedback, especially @Chamcham, whos sensible advice I took and called into Au Vieux C. Which was very useful.
Firstly, no TLT6s, I didn't realise they were replaced for this season by the TLT7 range (hence the bargain on line prices..duh) Probably just as well, the guy there told me, as the 7s have a slightly higher volume last and no way would the 6s have suited my feet.
As for sizing, just goes to show how rubbish my arm-chair theorising was... The 28.5s were a perfect fit for me, whereas my Quests (fitted by a very obsessive Chamonix boot fitter) are 27.5.
Impressively light, clever boot, the TLT7. The neatness of the single buckle closure system only slightly offset by the fiddly velco strapping at the top .... I think I'll have to save a few more euros...damn.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy