Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Wildlife Photos

Poster: A snowHead
Thought would be good to share some of the photos that SnowHeads might take when out in the mountains.

After three or four days of very cold weather yesterday temps warmed up a little and today marmots were out a plenty.

When ski touring we're fortunate to see a fair amount of wildlife, though unlike the summer the big beasties in the air have yet to appear.

We often have deer coming down to the back of us in the evening, and with their barking sets Les Chiens off!!

First pic is of deer on a ridge whilst climbing up near to Italian / French border.

And then back in March ski touring in the Alpes Maritimes

And then the Bouquetin (Alpine Ibex) this was yesterday, and he's (could be a she) fast alseep...

And three of them together

And then solo

Then today, there were so many of them around, like feckin rabbits !

We often spot Winter Grouse, snow foxes and closer to home in the forest (don't seem to hibernate) Black Squirrels and a few other animeaux we can't identify!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:

When ski touring we're fortunate to see a fair amount of wildlife, though unlike the summer the big beasties in the air have yet to appear.

That's surprising. The large birds resident in that area aren't migratory (at that latitude). You see an uptick in activity of opportunists like kites coming in as the snow melts to pick off voles and the like but the larger birds like eagles and vultures are resident all winter. Vultures will often "buzz" lone ski tourers. You're probably just seeing an alteration in hunting patterns.

Weathercam wrote:

And then the Bouquetin (Alpine Ibex) this was yesterday, and he's (could be a she) fast alseep...

Male

Weathercam wrote:
And three of them together

also maie, part of a larger group probably, a bachelor herd most likely.

Weathercam wrote:

We often spot Winter Grouse, snow foxes and closer to home in the forest (don't seem to hibernate) Black Squirrels and a few other animeaux we can't identify!

possibly rock ptarmigans if you mean grouse that are white, Lagopède alpin, perdix blanche in French.
Snow foxes - that refers to Vulpes lagopus or arctic foxes which aren't native in that area.
Black Squirrels - seems unlikely, they're not native in the area (or the continent). Squirrels also don't hibernate although they're fairly dormant. Most everyone that's walked around in an alpine forest in the winter will have seen signs of the activity with discarded cones etc. You may have seen pine martens, slightly darker.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Young chamois near Cogne. We were not touring but Nordic skiing, when we came across this little fella.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 22-04-17 7:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ise, thanks for your knowledge base !

Tis strange about not seeing any birds this season, we're out in different areas about three times a week!

In the summer my OH rightly gets a wee bit paranoid when we see them as we have our Jack Russsell and if they can swoop down a pick a marmot up then they could easily get a Jack!

Last summer we had an eagle at the back of where we live but only for around three weeks.

I was doing a bit more reading up on the area where we see "the grouse"
http://paca.lpo.fr/protection/espaces/reserve-naturelle-regionales-des-partias/patrimoine-naturel

And I remember now that they're called Black Grouse Tetras Lyre

and the white as you rightly say The rock ptarmigan Lagopède alpin

The fox I saw recently at high altitude (2,500m) defo had a silver tint to it's coat whereas the one that can be around where we live is more of a grey brown.

And thanks about the Pine Martin - dogs go berserk when the see one !

Should also add that although my Jacks give chase to anything that moves it's only the chase and not for the kill. We have a few cats around here that stand up to them and they now will not chase, and or the cat does not bother to run.

And whilst chasing the marmot thankfully they stop on top of the hole and have no terrier instinct to go down as I know who would come off worse and I'd end up visiting the vet!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, can't find a swiss recording but this is a good one....

http://youtube.com/v/5E4JnIX7eWo
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ise, There have been quite a few European sightings of melanistic squirrels, I saw one myself in Austria. There are a few local populations where the mutation is more common, similar to the black adders in the UK. Speaking of which, black squrrels in the UK are becoming more common too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10886477/The-rise-and-rise-of-the-black-squirrel-caused-by-genetic-mutation.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well theres the obligatory mutt - he looked so happy riding in the truck

The wolf pack in Montana

Elk

Long horn sheep

Caught this raccoon trying to steal rubbish

Carribou

Porcupine waking up

SWMBO always wanted to see Bison

Then this little guy Toofy Grin

All during the course of ski trips Madeye-Smiley

I'd just like to see moose really - keep trying but none so far Sad Friend in Jackson has them coming onto his deck too at times.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 22-04-17 12:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa wrote:
@ise, There have been quite a few European sightings of melanistic squirrels, I saw one myself in Austria. There are a few local populations where the mutation is more common, similar to the black adders in the UK. Speaking of which, black squrrels in the UK are becoming more common too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10886477/The-rise-and-rise-of-the-black-squirrel-caused-by-genetic-mutation.html

I think that's the difference between uncommon and rare. Black squirrels remain fairly rare and you really won't see a group of them. I find each time someone points out a black squirrel to me it's either not or it's a marten.

Black snakes are more common in Europe, you can get large local populations around the alps, for example:

compared to:

locals claim the black ones are more aggressive and more likely to bite but I doubt there's any proof of that
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good thread.

Moose are fairly easy to see in Jackson Hole. Just drive a few miles outside town and they are often munching near the side of the road.

A lot of Italians now go wolf trekking on the weekend. Some to the west of Turin, not far from Sestriere ski resort.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent photos - thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Moose are fairly easy to see in Jackson Hole. Just drive a few miles outside town and they are often munching near the side of the road.

Yeah I know and tried numerous times when there - nada - went both early morning and dusk Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ise, no photos since these sightings were spontaneous on chairlifts in resort, but in Valais we saw at Christmas a small herd of female ibex very frequently, essentially because the snow cover was poor, and they had extended grazing. A herd of around eight were appearing all over; lovely to see them picking their way around rocks in the small stands of trees around Violettes and Cabane Du Bois woods. No sightings of the male which we have seen above Violettes on occasion but assume he or his sons must be around somewhere. Black squirrels very common in Crans as always. No sightings this year of the white fox which we saw at night a few times. Obvious signs of weasels, coming and going from holes, including loads of tracks which could be seen from the access chair at Chandolin - St Luc direction. We have marmot city at Col Du Pochet above Violettes, and at Zambona below Cry D'Er but they were winter snoozing still at Easter. They hurtle around in desperation for around 10-14 days after emerging from hibernation, as their stomach linings have not repaired from hibernation and whilst starving hungry, can't eat. But they were ZZZZ-ing when we were there. We helped a toad on Nationale, which had emerged from torpor, but while the sun had warmed it, it had lost energy crossing the piste and was terribly languid and exhausted. We helped it by picking it up and placing it near the lake in the trees, hoping it could find a warmer spot to recover, rather than being hit on piste.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my experience is that most black squirrels that are pointed out to me are actually red with dark fur, that's very much the case in winter where the thicker fur looks darker. The reason I'd make a distinction between a red squirrel with dark, nearly or actually black, fur and an actual black squirrel is that the red keeps the white patch and larger ears. They also vanish in the summer although they may just vacation somewhere else.

I think by weasel you mean an ermine which is a lesser weasel. Although, from a chair lift I'd not be able to tell the difference between the tracks of an ermine or, for example, a vole.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ise, many thanks ISE - a number of the squirrels we see are black throughout the year in the area; we walk in the Valais all seasons and remain alert to any interesting flora and fauna. I note the point about the white patch - interesting and I will look out.

We have seen the lesser weasel, notable for having holes under rock ledges - we assumed the tracks in Vercorin were weasels rather than voles since the tracks came and went from these distinctive holes. All the voles we know in the Valais live in small 3-5cm circular holes in grassy areas, where they emerge after decimating tree roots - is that consistent with your knowledge?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ise, Yup, you are corrct, what you usually get is a population of normal coloured squirrels with a certain proportion of black coats amongst them. I've only ever seen one.
snow report
Saw a black bear from the chair lift in Whistler... however it was in September when we were mountain biking, so not technically whilst skiing! Couldn't believe how nonchalant everyone was!
latest report

Spot the wildlife.
ski holidays
Northernhills, there's a reason for their attitude

jbob, white rabbit, nice - do they taste any different ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy