Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort for SC with young babies?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was hoping the wisdom of Snowheads could make some suggestions of suitable ski resorts. A friend and I are both currently pregnant but have been mulling over the idea of going skiing next year. Initially thinking of getting a self catering apartment that is ski in/out, in a not too high altitude resort. Our babies should be 5 months and 9 month old if we travel in March. Thinking March is best month do go: good chance of good snow, out of school holidays (will need to check euro hols), more chance of warm sun for the non-skiing people/babies to enjoy.

Main criteria:
SC apartments for 4 people plus 2 babies close to slopes.
Not too high altitude so babies can sleep ok.
(If possible) a resort that allows sharing of lift passes, so each husband/wife can tag team the baby care/skiing.

So far I've thought of Avoriaz/Les Gets, Serre Chevalier, Peisey (Les Arcs), Montgenevre, Sauze d'Oulx, Morillon/Flaine, Puy Saint Vincent. Any thoughts on these? Any other suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The lift pass sharing is potentially problematic:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124068
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd suggest Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz which is ski to and from the door at an altitude of 1200m with access to a ski area going up to 2500 in Flaine. It is high quality self catering with a very nice pool and spa. The best time to go there would be in the second week of March when French school holidays have finished.

We have been there four times with Peak Retreats on a self drive package inc flexi plus. It is one of the closest resorts to drive to from the UK. Alternatively you could book flights to Geneva and it is around an hour from there.

The Grand Massif ski area is excellent for all levels of skier. There are also some very nice mountain cafes.

I doubt you would be able to officially share lift passes. It might be better to either just pay for the six day pass and accept you will be skiing half a day, or book day passes on alternate days. Morillon has slower links to the rest of the Grand Massif and the accommodation is more basic there. Flaine would be ok but it is a longer drive and you could say the resort lacks charm
Toofy Grin

Montgenevre (Le Napoleon or Chalet des Dolines) would be good but it the village altitude is 1800m. PSV has more basic accommodation and I found the skiing there limited. It is also harder to get to whichever means of transport you use..I would only go there if you want to use the Snowbizz childcare which is excellent. L'Oree des Cimes in Vallandry (Les Arcs) would be worth considering but it is an older and larger residence than les Chalets de Jouvence.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trysil. Its very low, base is 500m and hghest point just over 1,000m. It has lots of S/C accom and has a parent sharing pass. As do probably the other resorts under Skistar or other Scandi resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@carettam, Ski Amade Austria do a parent sharing pass scheme. Closest airport is Salzburg, March is a good time, pistes are quieter and its warmed up a bit too. Ange Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As Ange says: Ski Amade Young Family Pass
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your replies, very helpful. I'd considered Mongenevre as I know they are ok with sharing passes and there are ski in/out options and its budget friendly.

I've been to Les Carroz before, hence picking other resorts in the Grand Massif but Les Carroz does seem to offer the better mix of things I'm looking for. I'm not adverse to skiing there. Will look at the apartment block you recommended.

I'd not considered Trysil, looks very interesting. My husband is a boarder so the number of drags might be off putting but I'm tempted as I'd like to ski Scandinavia at some point.

I'll look into Amade. There seems to be almost too many options?! Any tips on a good base in the region. Ideally thinking ski in/out or close to it so we can swap over during the day with ease. We'll be on a budget as we'll only have one earning in each household. Would prefer to have a reasonable amount of skiing on the doorstep without having to travel too far on links, so would prefer to be in a central village rather than out on a tiny limb, if that makes sense?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@carettam, definetely recommend March, great month to go. You could also consider La Tania? Although I'm not sure any French resorts have picked up on the parent share lift pass idea unfortunately. http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/accomm.htm

Another option would be Stuben which links into the huge St Anton ski area? http://booking.stuben-arlberg.at/stuben/de/accommodation/list

I'd also consider length of transfer from airport to resort, having been on hols with my young kids before!

Also when they start to ski some places (ie Stuben that I know of) give free ski passes out (well 10 Euro cost), currently this is for those born from 2009 (guess it goes up one year every year)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carettam, If you've been to Les Carroz before and want to try a different place Montgenevre would be a very good choice. Chalet des Dolines/Le napoleon would be the more luxurious accommodation in Montgenevre and Le Napoleon is probably the best located being near the front de neige.

If you want to keep the cost down Le Hameau des Airelles is quite a bit cheaper and still good. We have stayed in the latter twice. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the ski room was basic (no boot warmers). The small spa area next to the swimming pool gets crowded but there is a separate spa area in the newer building that not everyone knows about and that was very good. The apartments are pleasant and kitchenettes fine.

One tip on the budget front - when you are on maternity leave have a look round the house and stick a few no longer needed things on Ebay..it is amazingly easy to raise a few ££ which could go towards a few treats when skiing..eg a spa session or nice lunch up the mountain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
With some further research, also looks like SkiWelt does a young family pass which allows both parents to share a lift pass for an extra €5 per day. I like that resorts are low altitude. Not sure where would be the best base for ski in/out SC or as close to this? Scheffau looks most central to the ski area?

Areas that I've found so far that allow parent sharing of passes: Montgenevre, SkiAmade, SkiWelt.
Does anyone know of any others?

Or know of resorts that operate a 'pay as you go' lift ticket? So if I only used 5 lifts every other day, it would be more economical than buying a week pass that I would barely make use of?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@carettam, La Tania/Trois valles do pay as you go as does the St Anton area
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carettam wrote:

Or know of resorts that operate a 'pay as you go' lift ticket? So if I only used 5 lifts every other day, it would be more economical than buying a week pass that I would barely make use of?

Some information on pay as you go:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123140&highlight=pay+per+lift
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't you just buy 5 hour passes on a day by day basis? You may well have a day off during the week so you may not even notice the fact that it's a bit more than a 6 day pass - 5 single days/5hrs prob equal a 6 day in most places.

Re resorts, if you're not bothered about childcare then just take your pick. As a parent of young children I'd recommend somewhere with a short transfer. Samoens, les gets, Morzine being the most obvious from Geneva. Or plenty of resorts near Salzburg if you SC through Airbnb
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From what you have said, in the ski amade id favour staying in schladming. Lots of sc in walking distance of main gondola. The town is also nice to walk around with pedestrianised centre with shops cafes plus swimming pool. You can also do your transfer by train. The town is low but snow holds up well because north facing. The other town option would be wagrain.

However it really depends on your budget. There are plenty of cheap farms around the area or stay in a town without access to main ski area like altenmarkt but you would need a car to access the slopes (lots of free large car parks) to allow you to swap over during the day (there are some buses).

Look at the local town website for accommodation much more options.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy