Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plans approved for new ski resort in British Columbia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't think this has been mentioned on snowHeads, but plans have been approved for a new ski resort at Valemount in British Columbia. This article says with the planned vertical descent of 2050m it will have the largest top-to-bottom distance of any ski resort in North America. The resort is planned to be built in three phases over a timescale of 15-20 years, although the first phase giving a descent of 1370m to the resort base is aiming to be complete and open to visitors by December 2018.

One problem commented on in the last link is the relative inaccessabilty of the resort - apparently it's a 5 hour drive from Edmonton.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink wrote:

One problem commented on in the last link is the relative inaccessabilty of the resort - apparently it's a 5 hour drive from Edmonton.

What wieners! 😈 We drive that for a weekend's skiing. Last season, we did that 3 weekends in a row! I say HTFU! 😀
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Slightly off topic but whatever happened to the plans for Jumbo?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that the point is that package tourists like short transfers and crowds more than long transfers and great snow. Evidence for this is everywhere. Hence the scepticism.

Regional airports... Kamloops (YKA) is about three hours away *in good weather*, and although highway 5 has Greyhound service it's not without challenge in the winter. Plus the airport is unreliable in weather. On the other hand you could fly in to Prince George and bag Powder King on the way. Or fly into Blue River... again unreliable in weather. And none of those make a lot of sense for mass tourism.

Perhaps they're betting on worse weather to come. If other places have no snow, the equation changes.

Jumbo: haven't heard where they are with that. But this is in a better place for the snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
General consensus from some of the BC locals:

-Jumbo is dead in the water.
-Not a lot of confidence that Valemount will actually go ahead (the same people responsible for jumbo - oberti - are behind valemount).
-Its in the middle of nowhere (and thats a Canadian middle of nowhere, where 2 hours is a short drive).
-Its going to be a massive failure (too remote for the average skieer and not enough extreme terrain to attract the more serious skiers).
-There might be all year skiing.
-It should be as snow sure as you can get.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte,

To prove the point somewhat (for my market survey of just me! Madeye-Smiley) . Red Mountain is one of the best places I have ever been skiing, it is (theoretically) a mere 8 hour drive from me, I have been exactly 0 times in the last 6 years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy