Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most impressive NY fireworks in a resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Been only to Interlaken and Morzine during the New Year and Interlaken one was quite impressive. I remember seeing a nice firework picture from Tignes too in one of the threads.

So if that would be a criteria - what would be a good resort to go to?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech do a very good job
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best I've seen was Zermatt. Went on for ages, plus a good party in the square after. Chamonix on NYE is scary.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The DIY fireworks/party around midnight on the nursery slope in Saalbach used to be pretty epic. A lot like a war zone, but still pretty epic.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens is pretty spectacular.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The midnight fireworks in Flachau were amazing this year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not NY, but Fiss, Tirol, Austria weekly show was amazing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As you said Tignes, 20 mins of non stop fireworks and a free concert - fab.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
As you said Tignes, 20 mins of non stop fireworks and a free concert - fab.

Where is the concert held?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the snow front in Tignes Le Lac, it stops whilst the fireworks go bang. Last year was a (famous) DJ, the eyar before a Cirque du Soleil styly show.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @chocksaway
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not the best fireworks, but NY in Champoluc was a wonderful "sod elf n safety" bonanza of fireworks, bangers, Roman candles brought by the locals, loud music, larking about and dancing in the square and Christmas tree climbing. Totally infectious and utterly mad.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perty wrote:
Not the best fireworks, but NY in Champoluc was a wonderful "sod elf n safety" bonanza of fireworks, bangers, Roman candles brought by the locals, loud music, larking about and dancing in the square and Christmas tree climbing. Totally infectious and utterly mad.

So that is why all was very quiet in Champoluc the first week after the NY in Champoluc, people were nackered from celebrations, enjoyed it thoroughly on slopes Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah hem - Dubai does fireworks to die for. And you can ski in the big fridge !!! wink Guaranteed good viz.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Anton, very impressive. But, disappointed by the atmosphere.
snow conditions
The Lisa Alm on Flachau puts on an awesome show, they get some very good professionals to set it up. It seems so much closer when you are up a mountain right in the middle of it. A plus there is that you can also see all the villages down the valley sendiing theirs up into the sky.
ski holidays
@beequin, Really? Its been fantastic when I've seen them. Not watched them for a couple of years, stayed down the valley but we'll be there in town next season for NY and I'm looking forward to them.
snow report
@Markymark29, Just felt the bars before and after were a bit flat; perhaps did not find the right ones or expected too much. Display did exceed expectations, however.
latest report
Not made a NY yet as the kids are too young to stay up till midnight, but the fireworks for Russian Christmas in Courchevel were ace. The lady whom we rented our apartment was just heading up to 1850 as we got back from skiing and she asked if we were going, we hadn't realised there was something planned. So we got in, showered, changed, fed the kids and dived into the Grangettes gondola up to 1850. It was great. There was a live stage in front of La Croisette, with music, then a "free bar" serving free mulled wine and hot choc for the kids - brilliant. Nice fun atmosphere. The ESF instructors (tons of them) did a torch light descent down Loze, then there was a huge firework display timed to music. It was around 4 song lengths, so probably about a 15 minute display, certainly no expense spared. Huge, in your face fireworks, pretty much filled your field of vision. It was nice to do with young kids as it was all done by around 8pm.

On a seperate note, at Easter a few years ago we were in one of the first Jardin Alpin gondola's on Easter Sunday, and the lifties were sneaking easter eggs into the cabins for the kids to find. Again a lovely touch.
snow report
Quote:

The DIY fireworks/party around midnight on the nursery slope in Saalbach used to be pretty epic. A lot like a war zone, but still pretty epic.

The early evening display on the nursery slopes (after the synchronised displays of carving, boarding, piste bashers, ski instructors' torchlight descent, etc.) is also excellent.
snow conditions
Courchevel NYE was impressive but the massive Russian New years eve display a few days later went on for so long we all got bored!
snow conditions
Kitzbühel is amazing.
snow report
The NY displays in both Zell am See and Kaprun are fantastic, then you add in the DIY pyromaniacs and you get an hour (or two hrs) long 360 degree display that is both awe inspiring and frankly terrifying!

One specific memory I have is watching the display whilst standing on the train tracks at Zell, then somebody set off the loudest rockets I've ever heard using the tracks as a tripod/guide about 10 feet away from me. It was amazing to me, to others possibly shock inducing. Also looking around the lake into the mountains seeing rockets firing off from all around is beautiful.
snow report
Monetier's effort this year was pretty good, although they usually do them around 6pm rather than at midnight. It was especially good as it could be clearly seen from our terrace window without even going outside
ski holidays
Chamonix is more people getting together in town while the French kids throw fireworks at each other. mildly entertaining but certainly not the greatest display you'll ever see.
snow report
Best display that I can remember was in Val d'Isere but this was quite a few years ago.

Torch lit descent by the instructors and resort staff on the face followed by a superb show again using the face.

Fantastic.
snow report
Spend last 2 NYE in Tignes as we live in the valley nearby. Best fireworks display in Espace Killy/Ros/Paradiski/3V area no doubt.
For Switzerland Verbier is the best and in Austria St Anton
snow report
They hold the Val d'Isere one around the 29th so as not to clash, but it isn't a patch on the Tignes one.

Val do give you free vin chaud though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton fireworks were really good this year, especially those coming out of Raffl's hotel - they just seemed to keep coming. I was skiing at Rendl on New Year's Day and and got on the Riffl 1 lift alongside a friendly elderly-ish lady. We started chatting and she said she lived in St Anton. I asked if she watched the fireworks and rather excitedly mentioned that those coming out of Raffl's hotel were amazing...blahblah...best in years etc. She replied "...yes, my son spends so much on the fireworks every year, I'm Maggie, Maggie Raffl".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy