Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas Skiing 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am restricted to skiing at Christmas and have been to Cervinia (good but poor snow maintenance), St Anton (disappointing snow conditions), Ischgl (fantastic but expensive), Les Arcs (great skiing but awkward access from the chalet to the slopes).

We normally use Austria because we prefer hotels (family of three adults) and a bit of nightlife. Also, chalet experiences with larger operators have been disappointing.

Anyone any suggestions for places to go with reliable snow at Christmas? A good chalet with easy access to and from skiing would be OK.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After the past 3 years I think it is tough to claim anywhere has truly reliable snow at Xmas.
Personally for a party of 3 adults I'd hold off and book near the time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, I can't remember the last year that Val d'Isere/Tignes didn't have most of the area open at Christmas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@jedster, I can't remember the last year that Val d'Isere/Tignes didn't have most of the area open at Christmas.

agreed but conditions are not necessarily that good. I'd prefer to wait and see whether Austria, Italy or France had the best snow and with only 3 adults to accommodate that would be quite easy to do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Personally for a party of 3 adults I'd hold off and book near the time.

+1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm told that the Pyrenees make a solid effort (cannon, pisting) to be open for the Spanish holiday at the start of December.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'm with pam w and jedster. After recent poor Decembers, many will be watching and waiting.

If you wanted a good bet though, I would go with SkiBugs Chalet Sauterelle in Tignes.
The picture suggests it is rather isolated, but actually the shuttle bus going either way stops right by the place, and Tignes Lac or Val Claret is only a short walk away.
So, easy access to excitement, but quiet when you get back home.
And if happy with off-piste, you can usually ski back to the chalet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, Surely we are due an excellent Christmas? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster wrote:
After the past 3 years I think it is tough to claim anywhere has truly reliable snow at Xmas....

I appreciate that's in the context of "Austria". If you relax that constraint the last two seasons particularly have been spectacular elsewhere. But it's all about risk, if you book early..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig,
Quote:

the last two seasons particularly have been spectacular elsewhere

I thought most of the French alps had a rather shaky start to the season the last 2 years. I was out in Les Arcs, Christmas 2015 and it certainly wasn't spectacular, though it was better up in Espace Killy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
@Jonpim, Surely we are due an excellent Christmas? snowHead

Fingers crossed. We have flights booked to Geneva for new year week. Although waiting until the last minute will stress me out (I like to book early), it's probably the best thing to do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
intermediate wrote:
... I thought most of the French alps had a rather shaky start to the season the last 2 years. I was out in Les Arcs, Christmas 2015 and it certainly wasn't spectacular, though it was better up in Espace Killy.

Two seasons ago in BC I was riding steep lines (because of the stability) I've not ridden at that time for 10 years early season. This season in December Whistler had light and dry snow (because of the unusually cold temperatures); in the interior there was excellent snow right down to valley level and the highways were tough.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy