Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

washing / reproofing gear

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snowHeads, can anyone give some advice as to which would be the best products for washing and then reproofing a Gore-Tex shell jacket? E.g, Grangers, Nikwax etc. I’d very be grateful for any explanations too, i.e. why any given product may be better or not – am keen to learn a little on this subject. I believe a wash-in reproofer is best – yes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AG, I use Granger's but, reportedly, it and Nikwax both work ~ equally well.
Personally, I use a spray that is applied after the washing (while the item is still wet). To my mind, applying a wash-in reproofer goes against the logic; if it makes a cloth waterproof, it follows that applying it on the inside (the side of membrane closer to your body) will stop the sweat from escaping outwards.
However a lot of people on here use it, and I am yet too see someone complain that it ruined their jacket's breathability.

Lots has been said on this subject; there are quite a few threads discussing these issues and various products, and/or washing and application methods.
You may want to look for them by using a search function on this site.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Someone told me the other day that you can do it by using a warm iron (obviously not so warm that it melts things). Not sure how much truth there is in that, but could be worth looking into. I guess it helps flatten/reseal the fibres in the material.

Here ya go https://www.gore-tex.com/support/restoring-water-repellency
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowglider, and @SnoodlesMcFlude, thanks very much for that, very helpful, much obliged!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have generally (over ? 25 years) used the wash thru product with very good results.

I have recently found the spray on very good on gloves.

I ski typically 60 days a year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used Nikwax Techwash at the end of the season and find it to be very good and then Nikwax Tech Direct Wash in if the repellency goes, to be fair I have only used this on the salopettes, the jackets have normally faded by the time it needs a reproof.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Run the washing machine empty first to get rid of any detergent. Then wash in nik wax tech. Some then tumble on warm or use a warm iron to reactivate the dwr coating worst case at that stage spray with a suitable nik wax product
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnoodlesMcFlude, The iron smooths down the face fabric, not sure how much it enhances the reproofing spray but it seems to help the water to bead up on the surface.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ironing can re-activate the treatment and is worth a try first.....Sorry, I see that's already been said.

I use the Teckwash followed by the Spray On.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, ironing/tumble drying on medium setting helps activate the DWR.
If you are worried about ironing or tumble drying your fancy/expensive kit, a hair dryer works just as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wash all our kit with normal detergent now. French "le chat" green liquid to be precise. It's all still waterproof and water repellent. I think the fancy treatments are largely a scam!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave wrote:
I wash all our kit with normal detergent now. French "le chat" green liquid to be precise. It's all still waterproof and water repellent. I think the fancy treatments are largely a scam!

As per Gore-Tex's care instructions. They don't mention any of the branded treatments. They also state that heat (tumble dryer or poss iron) will re-activate their DWR.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grangers wash and proofer. Used it for ages and never had a issue with any of my Gore-Tex gear. Rinse out washing machine drawer, add Grangers, wash on recommended cycle and then tumble dry on low heat.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to use Nikwax techwash on my Paramo. It's jolly expensive, so after seeing the advice on another outdoor forum, I have switched to using soap. I bought some pure liquid soap from Wilkinsons. It's very cheap and I think it works better than the Nikwax, both for cleaning, and for enhancing the water repellency. I now use it for all DWR clothes as well as merino thermals.

As above, I start with a clean washing machine, and use heat to reactivate the DWR if the clothes will stand it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use cheap pure soap flakes, they also work great on sleeping bags.
ski holidays
fwiw, been using 'muc-off', a proprietary bike cleaning solution, to help get oil off a Goretex jacket. seems to have done the job. gently rub in before washing as normal...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy