Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing sun cream from inside goggles

Poster: A snowHead
After a couple of hefty face plants into hard snow, I appear to have sun cream smeared on the inside of my goggles. This makes them a bit blurry, but I didn't want to damage the coating by trying to rub it off. I am back home now so can experiment a bit, but does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the grease without damaging the lens?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Being a bit mischievous, I am going to quote your own advice from 2014, back to you:

"Is it just grease/sweat/sun cream? I'd probably just wash carefully in a bowl of warm, mildly soapy water then rinse off and leave to air dry for a couple of days. "

Toofy Grin

PS. It's certainly a lot easier when it's not your goggles! Madeye-Smiley

PPS My approach has the advantage, that if it all goes wrong, it's not my advice that you took. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, but I need to know if my advice was good or not Toofy Grin As I had to buy new goggles/lenses last season and again this season, I'd rather not wreck another pair.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toothpaste and a brillo pad should do it wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Always so helpful. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, is that what you used on yours right before you broke your leg? It would explain a lot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, did you break your leg??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All better now ish
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, good...that passed me by
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, email Oakley Customer Services who are excellent.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Baby type wet wipe. Very good degreaser and not abrasive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, my lenses get a gentle wash in a mild waging up liquid solution. Or alcohol wipes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, is that what you used on yours right before you broke your leg? It would explain a lot.

You know when you have an epic put down and wait years to use it.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Scarlet, my lenses get a gentle wash in a mild waging up liquid solution. Or alcohol wipes.

No! That's what I do for sunglasses and it's fine. So I did the warm water and washing up liquid thing on the inside of my goggles (Oakley), carefully dried them with a soft cloth and .... they were totally wrecked. Something to do with the coating, I guess, but the lenses were permanently cloudy.

I couldn't complain as the instructions clearly said to clean, only rub with the bag provided. But obviously, that doesn't work too well with grease Mad . I was quite cross at the time and would never do that again now I've bought new ones.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@maggi, maybe your Oakley's were over sensitive.

My Scotts are 5 seasons in, no worries.
ski holidays
@maggi, this is a known issue with Oakley goggles, if you read the instructions they state explicitly that touching, cleaning, even thinking about your inner anti fog coating will cause it to go cloudy. Being Oakley they have a solution - and that solution is 17 gbp per bottle

http://uk.oakley.com/en/nanoclear-hydrophobic-lens-cleaner-kit/product/WA4230001NC
latest report
The instructions say "Not compatible with snow goggles or anti-fog treated lenses."
snow report
@beeryletcher, +1
snow report
muddewater wrote:
The instructions say "Not compatible with snow goggles or anti-fog treated lenses."

You're right, they do!
But they also say:
Quote:
Oakley Nanoclear™ lens treatment can be used on any type of eyewear

which is stupidly confusing. Are goggles not eyewear? (I wouldn't risk it, though.)

@valais2,
Quote:
even thinking about your inner anti fog coating will cause it to go cloudy
yep! Laughing
snow conditions
Clear vision is for pussies.

Anyway ginge, with the amount of sun cream you put on, you will only be cleaning them again after your first run.... Happy Razz
snow report
@maggi, aargh apologies ...I've kept well away from the inner lens to try to preserve the inner anti fog...

... thanks for reading the small print on the nanoclear - a solution which isn't then.
latest report
hang on - why on earth was there sunscreen under neath goggles in the first place? When we clart up the family we know that we will will wearing goggles from the moment we leave the car park to the moment we get back in the car - so we don't clart the goggle area - in fact youngster wears his goggles from just after breakfast ... and I am not joking ....
snow conditions
Clart? Some local patois?
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/clart
snow conditions
@valais2, this pretty much sums up the answer:
PaulC1984 wrote:
Anyway ginge, with the amount of sun cream you put on, you will only be cleaning them again after your first run.... Happy Razz

Sun cream goes on all exposed skin. I don't wear my goggles all day, they come off for lunch/coffee. This was not me pootling about blue runs (anyone who knows me knows I don't pootle anyway), this was me catching an edge or a rock or something and heading face-first into the hard pack. The fact that the goggles survived intact means I am already impressed with them, I just need to get the grease off.
snow report
@Hells Bells, hmm, looked it up in the Profanisaurus too... not something you'd want to get in your goggles, smear onto your children OR trust the UV index of.
latest report
Quote:

rust the UV index of.

It seems to work for pigs wink
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, ....yer be lookin in the wrong dictionary, the young dr Johnson would have known all about it...

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/clart
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Richard_Sideways, the consistency of some high factor sunscreens is described perfectly by 'clart' -thick and sticky.

@Richard_Sideways, I wouldn't have expected to find it in the Profanisaurus, it's a word we use up here all the time, and never as a profanity of any type.
snow conditions
Very weak soapy water will get sun-cream off IIRC.

But its no good on Zardoz.....that stuff on your goggle lenses is no good at all, 2-3 years ago glove covered in Zardoz and then cleaned snow out of goggles after a face-plant - result A Frame polarised iridium lens in the bin. rolling eyes
ski holidays
UPDATE

As far as I can tell, I have managed to successfully clean the grease off without removing the coating using this method:

1. Remove lens from frame
2. Wash carefully in a bowl of warm water and pure soap (I just dissolved a bar of soap a bit) WITHOUT RUBBING THE INSIDE OF THE LENS
3. Rinse in clean water and leave out to dry

At no point did I wipe the lens with any kind of cloth until it was fitted back into the frame and I could remove the water and finger marks from the outside using the Oakley bag.

However, I did get out my other pair to check if they needed cleaning too, only to find the inner lens in two pieces. FFS rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Scarlet, Ouch !

I to got stung by Oakley.

Descended down to Bolle without regrets as they actually fitted better anyhow. ( lens is photochromic with 50% polarization filter)

Have seen grown men almost cry at Oakley's lens scratch.

Agree Oakley does make fantastic lens and exceptional coatings...vision is everything but these bulbous lens just invite damage imo.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:

However, I did get out my other pair to check if they needed cleaning too, only to find the inner lens in two pieces. FFS rolling eyes

Why is it, that every Silver Lining has a Cloud. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, that's two pairs broken in one season, so becoming a bit of a disposable item for me Sad . I'm going to put it down to being an old design more prone to breakage and hope the new model shape stands up better. Results from face-plant testing x2 so far is good. Cost of replacement... £140 Shocked
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@Old Fartbag, that's two pairs broken in one season, so becoming a bit of a disposable item for me Sad . I'm going to put it down to being an old design more prone to breakage and hope the new model shape stands up better. Results from face-plant testing x2 so far is good. Cost of replacement... £140 Shocked

Sorry if this is an obvious question....but do you have a hard protective case?....which come at a discount from Freeze Pro, when getting Goggles at the same time (you probably know this).
snow report
@Old Fartbag, yes, and they were in it at the time. It's not completely hard like a glasses case, but a bit more flexible. Clearly too flexible Confused

Obviously that's not going to work with the face plant test either.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy